Cart

Refoaming vinyl-uph...

Refoaming vinyl-upholstered Eames shell chair  

RSS

toomanychairs
(@toomanychairs)
Trusted Member
01/02/2014 12:43 am  

Any DIYers tried this? I have seen shells, available very cheap, with crumbled foam under the upholstery. Theoretically, what might work:
--remove crimp cord
--peel off vinyl upholstery
--remove old foam
--spray on new expanding foam
--replace upholstery, attaching edges with tape or something
--clamp a second shell over it, to hold it flat
--allow foam to expand between upholstery and shell
--replace crimp cord
I am wary but intrigued by the possibility. Thoughts?

Robert Leach
(@robertleach1960yahoo-co-uk)
Illustrious Member
01/02/2014 12:46 am  

leave
it to a professional
'spray on new expanding foam' .. Really?

ReplyQuote
(@muehlebach)
Famed Member
01/02/2014 4:01 am  

Ever used expanding foam?
If you are referring to expanding foam like Great Stuff, then you're going to have a heck of a time. The first problem is that this stuff is extremely inconsistent when foaming up. It will be bubbly when it's done. You'd have to some how sculpt it into something that resembled a seat. The second problem is that it is very hard. This foam has no give to it. It would be like sitting on styrofoam. And lastly, this stuff stains any surface it touches. It is virtually impossible to get this residue off any surface you accidentally touch.
But I'd love for you to try it and tell us all about your experience (with pictures).

ReplyQuote
LRF
 LRF
(@lrf)
Illustrious Member
01/02/2014 7:20 am  

wrong wrong
toomanychairs..... I own Retro Redo know a few things about redoing those chairs and that is not even a close one.
If you want to try take the fabric off get a buffer with a wire brush then spin away on the old foam rubber it will go to the fiberglass. Next cut and paste foam rubber fitting the chair with spray glue Under pressure.
Next cut pattern from old one and sew it up. Then fit fabric to foam rubber with spray, this is the hard part cause it drys so fast you have to do it real fast and in sections.(that is the trick folks cause this can be more difficult then it looks as air bubbles get under the fabric . Put on new crimp cord. These can be found on the internet as you cannot use the old one as it will break do to age.
Good luck

ReplyQuote
toomanychairs
(@toomanychairs)
Trusted Member
01/02/2014 9:01 pm  

Thanks all
Chairlove: I wasn't thinking of that hard foam but rather the version that's soft, I think it's called E60.
LRF: Thanks. Can I reuse the original vinyl upholstery, if it comes off in one piece, or are there fitting issues? And how thick is the foam-rubber padding you use? Half-inch?

ReplyQuote
LRF
 LRF
(@lrf)
Illustrious Member
02/02/2014 2:25 am  

half inch foam will work. vin...
half inch foam will work. vinyl is so cheap use new it will last at least 40 years. Old vinyl gets brittle even if it does not look it.

ReplyQuote
zakknafein
(@zakknafein)
Eminent Member
25/06/2014 9:14 pm  

Did it work well with...
Did it work well with "refoaming"? would be really great to know the result.

ReplyQuote
toomanychairs
(@toomanychairs)
Trusted Member
27/06/2014 12:15 am  

Did not try it
Have not had time, and LRF kinda scared me off.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register