Design Addict

Cart

Quick question abou...

Quick question about Danish control stickers . . .  

RSS

Vintage Rod
(@vintage-rod)
Trusted Member
06/12/2016 10:01 pm  

Would a piece have a Danish control sticker if it was purchased in Denmark?, or only if it was imported?

leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
07/12/2016 1:50 am  

I don't think you can say that for absolute certain either way. And if it is a piece from pre-1958, it won't have a DFC mark anyway. Many makers were not part of the DFC club either.

ReplyQuote
Vintage Rod
(@vintage-rod)
Trusted Member
07/12/2016 7:18 am  

Thanks for your input.

ReplyQuote
jesgord
(@jesgord)
Illustrious Member
07/12/2016 4:08 pm  

This does not necessarily answer your question, but here is information on Danish Furnituremaker's Control from a pamphlet I have in my collection

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
07/12/2016 4:42 pm  

I would guess that pieces that should have a DFC mark on them based on their year of manufacture and maker would have the DFC mark regardless of whether they were sold domestically in Denmark or exported.
The challenge here is that sometimes the DFC mark was a sticker than can fall off or be picked off by children. And sometimes the Danes could be infuriating about not marking their stuff. Some times makers would only put the DFC mark on their product and not the company name, though. Finally it is rare to have such good provenance that you know for certain that a piece could be expected to have the DFC mark based on the date of sale. And if you don't know the maker, then it is very hard to say whether it should have a DFC mark, as many makers were not in the club or did not want to be in the club (e.g. France and Søn).
As you can see from Jesgord's wonderful post, it was primarily a marketing thing, and only very tangentially did it satisfy any export marking requirement that may or may not have been in existence.

ReplyQuote
Vintage Rod
(@vintage-rod)
Trusted Member
07/12/2016 6:03 pm  

Thank you both for the additional info. While it's not a major issue, I became curious after acquiring a piece that was definitely purchased in Denmark, in the 1960's. It has no sticker, while other examples I've seen do have the sticker. Like you've mentioned, there's no way to know if it ever did, since they can be removed so easily. It really boils down to nothing more than nerdy curiosity on my part.

ReplyQuote
jesgord
(@jesgord)
Illustrious Member
07/12/2016 6:07 pm  

This place is all about nerdy curiosity!!!!.....and people looking for identifications 😉

ReplyQuote
Vintage Rod
(@vintage-rod)
Trusted Member
07/12/2016 6:30 pm  

I've been guilty of both, I'm afraid. 🙂
As much as I truly enjoy pieces for simply what I see . . . I also find great joy in discovering provenance and maker/designer information. As a video producer, I love to develop and share stories. I guess it only makes sense that history and stories would be important to me in my hobby, as well.

ReplyQuote
HowardMoon
(@howardmoon)
Illustrious Member
07/12/2016 8:18 pm  

Jesgord, I like your pamphlet very much. Thanks for posting.

ReplyQuote
Vintage Rod
(@vintage-rod)
Trusted Member
08/12/2016 6:29 pm  

Oops. Guess what I found tucked away behind a little sliding door? Pieces purchased in Denmark can indeed have a DFC sticker. Despite the fact that my original question was never really in question, I have learned from the thread anyway. Thanks for the sharing.

ReplyQuote
jesgord
(@jesgord)
Illustrious Member
20/12/2016 5:55 am  

Was looking for something else...found this

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register