Design Addict

Cart

Possible Vodder des...

Possible Vodder desk coming in, wait: drawers missing!  

RSS

bj
 bj
(@bj)
Illustrious Member
03/03/2014 1:52 am  

So, there's an auction not far away: there's a desk by Arne Vodder
in rosewood, beautiful condition, but the description says drawers are missing.
I have no pic of the front, everything happens online.
Is it possible to make up new, matching drawers, or will the cost go way beyond?
I have some skills with woodworking so I am contemplating making a project out of it. Looking at the handles, seems the hardest task...
If I'm lucky I'll haul in this beauty at the end of the week...

leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
03/03/2014 6:53 am  

You can't get Dalbergia Nigra...
You can't get Dalbergia Nigra anymore so not being able to match the veneer and edge banding at the top of the drawers to the rest of the desk is my first doubt. There are other rosewood species though and maybe the rest of the desk isn't so "Dalbergia nigra" that you can substitute another rosewood.
Beyond that you need to cut or route dovetails, route the slots the drawers ride on, and probably cut finger joints in the back. These things will take skill and certain tools. But you probably knew that.
The handles don't look so impossible to me, if you overcome all the above, you can fabricate the handles. I'd guess the metal is aluminum, which is easy to work with.
None of it would be worth anything more than the fun of doing it if you can't find a very good substitute for the rosewood. In my town I would have to go to the Internet for something like a rosewood species veneer, but I'd really need to see it in person to know if it would be a decent match for the desk, so the drawer fronts would probably be made from solid stock that I could find locally and match to the desk.
Best of luck! This could be quite an interesting project.

ReplyQuote
glassartist
(@glassartist)
Illustrious Member
03/03/2014 9:29 am  

If you
were not worried about value after (and remade drawers would affect value anyway), teak would be a beautiful contrast on one of these. Then there is no sweating trying to match the veneer. I have seen vintage scandinavian pieces with both teak and rosewood, and the looked great.

ReplyQuote
bj
 bj
(@bj)
Illustrious Member
03/03/2014 11:01 am  

Thanks for the comments.
Yes it seems a nice project and I assume I can get the handles right, with
a lot of patience. Next to that, the dovetailing as you say will be a challenge too.
Judging by photograph, I have the impression the wood is somewhat faded.
The surface seems very nice, though, with a nice even sheen.
The possible play between teak and rosewood (or another wood) I can't judge now. I'll have to see it in person.
problem is: I'll have to buy it first 🙂
This is a pic of the desk.

ReplyQuote
foxxxy
(@foxxxy)
Famed Member
03/03/2014 11:07 am  

Dont know if this is an...
Dont know if this is an option for you, but ive had a couple of similar desks with missing drawers and what I did was simply remove the rails on one of the drawer banks, smooth things out (filled holes and sanded) and painted black.
On another, a single drawer was missing so I added a shelf above the lower drawer and it ended up looking like it was originally designed with the cubby space.

ReplyQuote
tktoo
(@tktoo)
Illustrious Member
03/03/2014 3:36 pm  

Detail shot of drawers
showing pulls:

ReplyQuote
bj
 bj
(@bj)
Illustrious Member
03/03/2014 4:09 pm  

Would that be the same construction
as seen on some knives? how does the metal piece going through attach
itself to the other side? Any ideas?
Thanks for adding the pic Tkoo

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
03/03/2014 4:12 pm  

I think you lucked out with...
I think you lucked out with that grain. It still seems difficult to match, but probably not impossible.
Handles: route sequential deep narrow slots down a strip of wood. Chop the strip between the slots into handle lengths. Route matching slots in the drawer fronts. Cut and sand aluminum to slot sizes. Insert aluminum into handle, and drill the two large holes through the wood and aluminum.. Chop aluminum handle pins.
To hold the pins in place I would gouge the pin a bit where it will be hidden inside the wood apply a bit of liquid nails (dries slightly elastic) or wood glue and insert the pin. The glue-aluminum bond won't be strong, but it doesn't need to be because it will take immense shear force to push the pin out once the glue has dried to the wood in the gouges in the pin.
Finish sand the handle. Insert into slot in drawer drill small holes down from the top of the drawer through aluminum, tap in finish nails to pin the handles in place, set the heads well below the surface. Mix sawdust and white glue into putty and patch the little holes. Finish sand. And apply finish.

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
03/03/2014 4:23 pm  

This sold listing shows some...
This sold listing shows some good shots of the drawers. Note one of them has metal glides. Another of the same desk also had metal glides, but they were underneath the drawer so there is some question of what to do here. And also note the drawers lock in place.
http://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/storage-case-pieces/desks/danish-rosewo...

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
03/03/2014 4:25 pm  

This listing too:
This listing too:
http://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/tables/desks-writing-tables/arne-vodder...

ReplyQuote
bj
 bj
(@bj)
Illustrious Member
03/03/2014 4:41 pm  

Thanks Leif!
Does anyone know if the leaf comes of?
If I'm lucky I have to transport this together with a rather large sideboard
of the same make and the Juhl table I posted in another thread.

ReplyQuote
jdip
 jdip
(@jdip)
Illustrious Member
03/03/2014 6:21 pm  

bj
I have the L-shaped vodder desk up in storage. Posted it here a while back (someone had sanded the hell out of it). Still have yet to mess with it. I can take a bunch of detailed photos of drawers, handles etc if you would like. Just tell me what photos you would like.

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
03/03/2014 7:16 pm  

another way to fix the alumin...
another way to fix the aluminum pin in the handle: insert the pin, then drill a small hole into the end grain at the side of the handle and into the aluminum pin. Tap a brad or small finish nail into the hole and set the head below the wood. Mix sawdust putty, patch, let dry and sand.
A small patched hole in the end grain can be totally invisible, even on a visible surface like the side of the handle.
I would still insert the large pin with some glue-like substance that remains a bit flexible to make sure the pin doesn't every rattle or wiggle if the wood expands slightly some parts of the year enough for the hole to be a bit large.

ReplyQuote
bj
 bj
(@bj)
Illustrious Member
03/03/2014 8:21 pm  

That's great to hear jdip!
I'll see when it arrives what's the situation.
Would you know if the desk comes apart? And if so, what tools
are needed?

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register