Please help ID Søbo...

Please help ID Søborg tea cart  

RSS

DrPoulet
(@drpoulet)
Illustrious Member
01/03/2016 10:52 pm  

Hi,
I have just picked a sweet tea cart by Søborg Møbelfabrik. It is marked with a black and silver sticker with the castle logo and stamped Made in Denmark.
I haven't been able to find it on the furniture index and it is not in the Søborg catalogs published on their Website.
Does anyone here knows the designer? Mogensen or Hvidt / Molgaard?
The cart below is not mine but one of the same model taken from the internet (mien has its original casters).
Many thanks for your help!

leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
01/03/2016 11:46 pm  

None of the above. It is in the 1962 catalog as designed by "Søborg Møbelfabrik." Model 112, which has the teak top. Model 113 is identical, but it has a black formica top. This is the only model in the whole catalog that does not have a designer.
Sorry for the blurry photo.

ReplyQuote
DrPoulet
(@drpoulet)
Illustrious Member
02/03/2016 12:29 am  

Ahaha... The only in-house design in the whole catalog and that is for me! 🙂
Very nice piece anyway and I got it for a good price so I am still happy for my purchase.
Thanks a lot for your help Leif!

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
02/03/2016 3:29 am  

And you have to go back to the earlier catalogs that showed traditional/transitional furniture to find any other in-house designs. You really have to work hard to find an in-house Søborg Møbelfabrik piece. I am impressed!

ReplyQuote
DrPoulet
(@drpoulet)
Illustrious Member
02/03/2016 9:50 pm  

Actually you might be... I have contacted the company in order to know more and they told me the cart was most probably designed by Arne Jacobsen.

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
03/03/2016 4:29 am  

Wow! That would be very surprising.
I would be extremely curious to see more documentation on this because it would fit the in-house design with 'secret' designer phenomenon in the Danish furniture industry that I have written about here. I would be curious if Soeborg could confirm my theory that it comes down to who owns the copyright, such that if the company owns the copyright (not the designer), the company can advertise a design credit to itself, to nobody, or to the secret designer.
So far I have not found an example of the phenomenon where the family is still in the business, and can possibly shed more light on how it worked. (Except for Møller with Hovmand-Olsen designing the 55&71).

ReplyQuote
DrPoulet
(@drpoulet)
Illustrious Member
03/03/2016 9:11 am  

Well... The Arne Jacobsen that probably designed the cart was the owner of the company, not THE Arne Jacobsen.
That's a pretty funny thing.
As far as I understand, Soeborg is still operated by the same family...the Jacobsens.

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
03/03/2016 3:01 pm  

Oh right.... Tha would make a lot more sense in his case.

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
03/03/2016 3:31 pm  

My god, what a lovely cart. I've never owned a cart. Were whitewall tires an option?
Simply divine. yup.
Aunt Mark

ReplyQuote
DrPoulet
(@drpoulet)
Illustrious Member
04/03/2016 11:55 pm  

Finally some pictures of my Arne Jacobsen cart.

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
05/03/2016 12:13 am  

it would look mighty fine next to one of Arne Jacobsen's swans. Bringing drinks naturally.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register