Cart

Odd views while at ...

Odd views while at Lowes Dept store  

RSS

TinyArmada
(@tinyarmada)
Famed Member
24/11/2011 4:30 am  

I was at Lowes today getting some bits and pieces and thought I would go visit the lighting section - see what they had.

I buy Modern Mid Century strictly, but thought I would at least see what was going on with the industry these days for the average guy n' girl - which is not derogatory, I am one of those average guys, but I know for the same price I can get Modern Mid Century and not throw my money away on a worthless "good in style for 6 months" lamp.

I inspected the metal rods, inspected the light sockets, the switches etc. and I concluded that the lamps there actually had all in all, the right stuff to make a good lamp.

I mean, the steel was fine enough, strong enough; the lamp shades were made of a decent enough fabric.

All together it looked terrible, but when viewed individually, why couldn't they make a good lamp?

I concluded that if he market in general is driven by consumer demand, then the average consumer's taste sucks, because they could realistically make a decent enough looking lamp if they wanted to.

Now, I couldn't say that about the furniture which is another subject entirely.

So then I thought I would go on-line and check out the new high-end lamps...

And wow - talk about out of the average guys reach! And I am not sure if I had the money I would buy it anyway.

Nothing "spun-me-out".

I thought there were some interesting designs sure enough, though it seemed to me that they were trying to "pimp my lamp" whereas my respect for the older designers really was that they ushered in a new era of thinking with lamps and furniture from a fundamental standpoint.

If someone today made tripod lamps (and just about every designer in the MMC era did a tripod of some sorts) I would buy it, I wonder though if the current consumers would?

Could we inject the population with better taste?

I am ranting, but at least I know I have an audience here that might want to rant on too about the current styles - or show me something I haven't seen yet.

- A.S.

P.S. searching for parts to an old Thurston lamp is a pain...it looks like if I want to restore it, I am going to have to have the part machined. Anyone know of a place or person that specializes in MMC parts?

fastfwd
(@fastfwd)
Illustrious Member
24/11/2011 6:33 am  

"Could we inject the population with better taste?"
Seriously?
Some guys like big tits, some guys like small tits. Some like Knabusch and Shoemaker, some like Eames. Big deal. Who cares?

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
24/11/2011 6:43 am  

Did someone say...
Tits??

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
24/11/2011 8:02 am  

Hey.
I just noticed that the Di Frutta Speedo chair has a tripod base.
Just saying.

ReplyQuote
Riki
 Riki
(@riki)
Illustrious Member
24/11/2011 2:45 pm  

Such a sight
to wake up to. . .Gianni in all his glory. . .going back to bed.

ReplyQuote
jesgord
(@jesgord)
Illustrious Member
24/11/2011 2:56 pm  

Qu'ils mangent de la brioche!
Qu'ils mangent de la brioche!

ReplyQuote
danielmpoole
(@danielmpoole)
Illustrious Member
24/11/2011 4:30 pm  

on the subject of lamps
I came across this today. The top half levitates using electromagnetic technology. The design is simple, but it could pave the way for something more interesting.
Video here: http://vimeo.com/28991842

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
24/11/2011 5:07 pm  

Indeed
Hovercrafts are not too far away.

ReplyQuote
danielmpoole
(@danielmpoole)
Illustrious Member
24/11/2011 5:12 pm  

I was thinking more along the lines
of...

ReplyQuote
Lunchbox
(@lunchbox)
Illustrious Member
25/11/2011 10:41 pm  

Again, of Di Frutta...
You see how his speedo seems to levitate?
So Zen...

ReplyQuote
HPau
 HPau
(@hpau)
Illustrious Member
26/11/2011 12:06 am  

I like the way his penis follows me around the room, spooky.

ReplyQuote
Darcy
(@vivienneoriginindesign-com)
Trusted Member
26/11/2011 3:48 am  

Hmmm.......
Theres not much point following anyone around the room if you cant stump up and judging by that piccy there aint much coal in his cellar Heath Honey!.

ReplyQuote
tktoo
(@tktoo)
Illustrious Member
26/11/2011 3:52 am  

A.S.
All the penis pointing aside, have you ever considered creating a lighting fixture of your own design from scratch? It seems like you might have the aptitude.
Lighting can be among the most frustrating aspects of domestic interior design. Much of what is available, new or vintage, is either overpriced, poorly concieved, or of inferior construction, IME. And the changing technology only complicates the basic problems lately.
I'm curious because I see this as an exciting field begging for new talent.

ReplyQuote
TinyArmada
(@tinyarmada)
Famed Member
26/11/2011 5:09 am  

I do create my own pieces
I do create my own pieces, but they are just for home.
Yes, I could certainly create a new lamp that would probably be favorably received. I have had people who have seen the pieces state that they should go into a design expo or something like that - but seriously, that is an ambitious path and you would have to be really dedicated to it.
There are a thousand great designers out there who never seem to get the recognition or value for their items, so I don't see any point in going commercial. I do not think I would succeed.
I've got some designs up for some new pieces, but they are just for my girlfriend and I to enjoy.
When they are done, I will post them up.
- A.S.

ReplyQuote
tktoo
(@tktoo)
Illustrious Member
26/11/2011 6:24 am  

It would be great to see more of
the creative side from many of the gifted paricipants of this forum, though it is understood that one might be apprehensive.
Thanks.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register