Cart

Oak sofa possibly B...

Oak sofa possibly Borge Mogensen??  

RSS

Dave Culley
(@sculdaslingshot-co-nz)
Trusted Member
06/11/2013 12:26 pm  

Hi all, I have just come across this beautiful sofa in solid Oak, It has brass brackets and fixtures, Pirelli webbing routed inserts in the seat that have unfortunately all gone and have been badly replaced with Jute webbing. it has six original inner sprung cushions covered in a wool fabric, not shown.
Can anybody advise of a maker and or designer please?
I initially thought Borge Mogensen but I'm probably wrong.
Any help would be much appreciated

alexandersforum
(@alexandersforum)
Illustrious Member
07/11/2013 2:02 pm  

A google search found this...
A google search found this auction record. According to the listing it had a Fredericia Furniture label.
llector.com/Borge-Mogensen-Sofa-set-sofa-2-armcha_i6235999

ReplyQuote
bj
 bj
(@bj)
Illustrious Member
07/11/2013 2:14 pm  

but that's a whole different sofa?
squared legs instead of round, formed backrest instead of just
the angle...

ReplyQuote
Richard Tanimura
(@redo-richardgmail-com)
Prominent Member
07/11/2013 2:23 pm  

concur w/ bj
Yes, look also at the joins in the Fredericia. No brass bolts. I can't be sure, but Mogensen was like Wegner a cabinetmaker in his heart and avoided metal fasteners for the most part. I think using fasteners for them was a little like cheating.

ReplyQuote
alexandersforum
(@alexandersforum)
Illustrious Member
07/11/2013 2:25 pm  

you're obviously right bj, I...
you're obviously right bj, I looked at too many pictures and somehow managed to combine them in my head...

ReplyQuote
bj
 bj
(@bj)
Illustrious Member
07/11/2013 2:47 pm  

No sweat, A. 🙂
but I do see these brass hinges between the front and backrest, wich reminds me also of the mogensen construction?

ReplyQuote
alexandersforum
(@alexandersforum)
Illustrious Member
07/11/2013 4:17 pm  

Yes and the "button-shaped" e...
Yes and the "button-shaped" endings to the top of the legs, somehow reminds me of the pulls on the Öresund dresser, as well.

ReplyQuote
Richard Tanimura
(@redo-richardgmail-com)
Prominent Member
07/11/2013 5:20 pm  

Ah now you said something
Good point. Mogensen had some production in Sweden and a DSB production in Denmark. I forget these things. The Swedish series is called "Öresund".
Swedes have always been good at rational packaging and shipping. It is not for nothing that IKEA specializes in flatpack furniture. It would be consistent with that philosophy that the back and seat could be folded, the arms unscrewed and everything packed flat. The Swedish production of Öresund done by Karl Andersson & Sons. You might check more there.
I think Mogensen took that kind of thinking back to DSB which IS Danish so I will have to humbly retract my earlier certainty.

ReplyQuote
Dave Culley
(@sculdaslingshot-co-nz)
Trusted Member
08/11/2013 7:29 am  

Many thanks, Ill hunt some...
Many thanks, Ill hunt some more, it seems I may have another Öresund item in my home.
Please sing out if there is any more info
Regards Dave

ReplyQuote
Richard Tanimura
(@redo-richardgmail-com)
Prominent Member
11/11/2013 4:09 pm  

Chuckle. Rereading my post I...
Chuckle. Rereading my post I see I wrote "DSB" when I meant "FDB".
DSB is the name of the Danish railroad company. I have been travelling a rather lot around Denmark by rail lately and must have had DSB imprinted on my brain.

ReplyQuote
Dave Culley
(@sculdaslingshot-co-nz)
Trusted Member
07/03/2014 9:17 am  

I have been looking high and...
I have been looking high and low and still cant find an example of the sofa, I did find this couch by Børge Jensen and Sonner for Bernstorffsminde Møbelfabrik. very very similar in the frame, arm and leg but the tops don't have the bevel and the front stretcher is between the legs not the side frame not to mention the back is all together different.
I've finished the restoration of the frame and am looking into a good choice in fabric at the moment, I'm pleased with the result so far.
Thanks.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/163915486/borge-jensen-and-sonner-for

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register