Cart

Noguchi Coffee Tabl...

Noguchi Coffee Table, real or fake?  

RSS

charliet
(@charliet)
Eminent Member
09/02/2014 9:57 pm  

I bought this yesterday from a guy who claimed it was an authentic Herman Miller table. I should have measured it on site but when I got home I found out the glass top measured out to be 49.5x36x.75, and the overall table stands at 15.75. Another thing that throws me off is the metal pin which holds the two wood pieces together. I don't think it's supposed to have four smaller pins sticking out like that right?
So my main concern is the 49.5 dimension and the metal pin. Everything else seems to match up, but I know how good repros are these days.
Please let me know what you guys think, thanks.

Jimbo
(@jimbo)
Eminent Member
09/02/2014 10:47 pm  

Noguchi coffee table
It looks good. My table is real and the pins are not solid like yours. I have not checked lately what Herman Miller is using. It is possible they are using solid pins now. More importantly does yours have a medallion under the bottom leg?

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
10/02/2014 12:26 am  

Dearest charliet,
I should mention that I'm usually wrong, but I'd guess that you have a knock-off Noguchi cocktail table. The glass top isn't sized correct, and I question the wood tone. I can't recall the shape of the pivot pin.
Respectfully,
Aunt Mark

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
10/02/2014 12:28 am  

ps,
Remeasure the top on yours. The height is spot on.
Aunt Mark

ReplyQuote
charliet
(@charliet)
Eminent Member
10/02/2014 1:25 am  

Thanks aunt mark for the...
Thanks aunt mark for the help. I can't get it to reach 50" in measurement. I'll take this as a lesson learned the hard way and move on

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@zmgriffithhotmail-com)
Eminent Member
10/02/2014 5:17 am  

The Chinese-made Reproductions are really, really good.
I had one and the pin looked exactly like that.
The extra arms of the pin guide the opening of the base to the correct position. A 90's Authentic Noguchi that I helped move, recently, featured a straight, armless pin.
I'd definitely make threatening noises at the fella who ripped you off. BUT, the table looks really nice. If it's too close to tell, I would imagine your house guests will give you the benefit of the doubt.

ReplyQuote
charliet
(@charliet)
Eminent Member
12/02/2014 7:37 am  

Thank you for the info...
Thank you for the info Zafari. The table is quite beautiful and appears to be solid stock walnut, which made me think it was real in the first place. I just need to learn how to get over the fact that it's not an "authentic" Noguchi, live and learn.

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
12/02/2014 9:13 am  

I doubt that HM
would have accepted the knots. But otherwise the workmanship looks good, and the wood parts seem correctly copied, and the glass is the correct thickness.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register