New solar-powered lighting from IKEA  

Page 2 / 4
  RSS

Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
01/05/2011 9:16 am  

SDR
"Province" by Libbey is cylindrical and very handsome. I dunno if Target carries them but you can buy them online from Libbey, I think. Or check their site where to buy locally.
http://retail.libbey.com/Products/Beverageware/Province-Glassware-Set-24pc

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
01/05/2011 9:55 am  

Thanks, guys --
I feel better already.
Wasn't the second kiss supposed to turn somebody back into a frog, or something . . . ?

ReplyQuote
HPau
 HPau
(@hpau)
Illustrious Member
01/05/2011 11:13 am  

ssshhhhh

ReplyQuote
fastfwd
(@fastfwd)
Illustrious Member
01/05/2011 3:57 pm  

You misunderstand me, Niceguy.
I think you probably read too many magazines and are too willing to let their advertisers lead you by the nose, but I don't think your "desires and reality" are dumb; as you say, every opinion is valid for the person who holds it.
What's dumb is that you saw "plain unadultered geometry in anything low or middle range is getting rare these days" and apparently took that to mean "please tell me which obvious brand name is most closely associated by the bourgeoisie with expensive glassware".
Whether your posts are meant to be a satirical commentary on consumerism, or performance art, or simply an honest expression of your narcissism, they'd work better if they weren't forced so clumsily into the conversation. That's why I asked about Asperger's; if you're on the AS spectrum, there are treatments that might help make your interactions here less dysfunctional.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome

ReplyQuote
HPau
 HPau
(@hpau)
Illustrious Member
01/05/2011 4:16 pm  

Thankyou, I didn't trust myself to say such like without exploding.

ReplyQuote
niceguy
(@112952msn-com)
Illustrious Member
01/05/2011 5:48 pm  

Thanks again
fastfwd,
I appreciate your making yourself clear. I was only giving a choice at the opposite end of the "bell curve" from IKEA. I went to IKEA once and I thought, as someone else had posted, that the cabinets were a true value and the furnished display rooms to be good examples for those people who could not picture a room design.
It is true that I do enjoy reading, but my choice is history. I am sure that myself as many others would never be hurt by some type of mental consuling, but I do not suffer from AS. Once again thank for your continued goodwill and helpful comments.
Also, I have it good advice that my friend The Ark always gives Tiffany & Company sterling silver feeding spoons to new mothers he knows and has not yet had any complaints.

ReplyQuote
whitespike
(@whitespike)
Illustrious Member
01/05/2011 7:32 pm  

ugh.
ugh (that wasn't in response to the lighting).

ReplyQuote
william-holden-...
(@william-holden)
Famed Member
01/05/2011 7:51 pm  

I was going to suggest Libbey.
Their website is maddening, but they make inexpensive basics.
And remember: when it says Libbey, Libbey, Libbey on the label, label, label, you will like it, like it, like it, on your table, table, table.

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
01/05/2011 9:09 pm  

I was right!
Performance artist. "Blah blah blah blah $$$$ blah blah blah $$$$ blah blah blah $$$$ blah blah. Blah. I'm here all week, folks!"
But back to the topic at hand: I bought one of these for my son for Christmas, partly because at the time, IKEA would donate one of the same to a family in a third world country so that the kids could read and do homework in the evenings after the sun went down. It seemed like a nice idea. I was aware that I was buying a $10 lamp and paying for another $10 lamp to donate, rather than buying a $19.95 lamp for my son--but whatever! I liked the colors and the design. And it worked nicely, though it didn't serve his needs too well and I ended up giving it to Goodwill.
I still like it, though.

ReplyQuote
niceguy
(@112952msn-com)
Illustrious Member
01/05/2011 9:34 pm  

the topic at hand
Shopping at IKEA is good for those who desire that quality. Helping children in the third world is admirable.
When I find these Yann Kersalé Jallum rechargeable LED lights at the right price I will be happy for me and all those who desire less.
If all people thought the same the world would be a boring place. To each their own.

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
01/05/2011 9:41 pm  

Now see, those look kind of g...
Now see, those look kind of gaudy to me, niceguy. Too sparkly, too...detailed for the sake of being detailed. I would expect to see them in one of those online stores that cater to people who want something that their neighbors don't have, until their neighbors discover the site, too.

ReplyQuote
Olive
(@olive)
Illustrious Member
01/05/2011 11:17 pm  

Libbey,
w-h-c...Um, I think theat jingle was for Libbey Vegetables., not glassware. Different Libbey! I also like Anchor Hocking glassware. That and IKEA are where all my infamous jelly jar glasses came from.
And, thank you, *spanky* for the support. I have found that IKEA stuff can be a wonderful value and of very good quality IF you look carefully and buy smart. Yes, there is a lot of junk, but they're not Walmart!
Some really good IKEA examples:
Glimma tealights, $3.99/100. Vegetable wax and recycled/recyclable aluminum cups. (In the interest of exactitude, there is a small amout of petroleum wax poured on the top of the candles to prevent evaporation and IKEA doesn't make a claim about the status of the aluminum of the cups, but I know that it is true cuz I asked a friend who works there... in Sweden... in the design department, not just a store employee.)
Flour Sacking tea towels $0.49/ea. 100% cotton. Last forever and are great to re-use as cleaning cloths. You can then toss them on your compost pile when they are totally worn out.
Bedding: usually $60-70 or so for a king-sized cotton duvet set with approx 200+ thread count. Try finding that anywhere else! And as I mentioned cotton is compostable.
Glassware: Martini and wine glasses are usually about $1.99-2.99 each. I find the shapes are well proportioned and generously sized. And they handle trips through the dishwasher just fine. Oh, and glass is recyclable.
And speaking of the IKEA kitchens...our new home has an IKEA kitchen, in fact all of our cabinetry is IKEA. I was skeptical at first, but using them helped make our house hit a price-point we could afford. However, a year later, my mind has been changed. They're really pretty darned nice. Yes, they're chipboard, but they seem quite sturdy and the draws glide like butter. I assembled all of them and the task was atcually fun, like Legos for grown-ups. As with all things IKEA there are levels of price/quality and we chose from the high end for the exterior finishes. Overall, I'm really pleased with them. Time will tell how well they hold up, but so far absolutely no complaints.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
02/05/2011 12:28 am  

If this forum...
Allowed signatures, this would be mine:
"Also, I have it good advice that my friend The Ark always gives Tiffany & Company sterling silver feeding spoons to new mothers he knows and has not yet had any complaints."
Thanks, niceguy.

ReplyQuote
niceguy
(@112952msn-com)
Illustrious Member
02/05/2011 12:44 am  

thank you
spanky and woodywood,
Thank you for your kind words and good thoughts. You are both truly gracious and understanding.

ReplyQuote
fastfwd
(@fastfwd)
Illustrious Member
02/05/2011 12:47 am  

My Libbey glasses
are these. I like them as much, and as inexplicably, as the Ikea solar-powered lamps:

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register