Design Addict

Cart

Muji awards  

RSS

brnki (SVK)
(@brnki-svk)
Trusted Member
14/01/2010 1:41 am  

Lastly I've been pretty much surprised by winning entries in Muji competition. The first prize is a "wheat straw" designed... by nature.
🙂 well, i would love to try original wheat straw for drinking.. to feel how well it works, but when some designer picks up a piece of nature and fills in an application for some competition.. it sounds a bit crazy to me...

I like some products of Muji, nice and simple... but,
isn't it just too much about style?

http://www.muji.net/award/03/results.html#en

Gustaf
(@gustaf)
Famed Member
14/01/2010 2:22 am  

I think it's brilliant.
Why make something new if nature has already designed and manufactured it for us?
This is assuming it works of course. I haven't tried the natural straw.
I discovered Muji back in 1996, and really took to their no-brand concept, minimalist aesthetics and overall manufacturing philosophy. The appearance of their products was of course an important part of their success, but at least it used to be about more than that. I don't know if that has changed. I haven't kept up, and almost never shop there even though there is a store where I live. I have their plastic containers though.

ReplyQuote
brnki (SVK)
(@brnki-svk)
Trusted Member
14/01/2010 12:20 pm  

Thanks Gustaf...
I must...
Thanks Gustaf...
I must say, I didn't know much about Muji... I've never seen their shop or anything. But my friend gave me this link, and it made me very curious about whole company.
I even checked their previous competitions, where I really like the "towel with further options" that applies natural cicle of becoming more rough.. to be a wash cloth and later a floor cloth... Reusing towels for floor cloth was pretty common also in my family, and i think it great to remind others about this option, in case they might have forgotten...
it's just, lastly there are quite many companies trying to look simple and minimalist... what makes me more careful when i spot some other..
But I really like words od one of jury members Masaaki Kanai: "I felt like I could hear the footsteps of a transformation of society that is attempting to fashion a new set of values. A "straw" was not originally something one bought, it was probably more along the lines of something that you went and cut for your own use. Nowadays, when it comes to thinking about commercializing things, it's a time when doing so is both incredibly arduous and expensive."

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register