Design Addict

Cart

Model 6501 Fritz Ha...

Model 6501 Fritz Hansen Dining Chairs - Who Was the Designer, Please?  

RSS

cada
 cada
(@cada)
Reputable Member
07/06/2014 3:46 pm  

I picked up a set of four of these beautiful chairs yesterday. They?re very understated (which is my preference) but with some wonderful details, like the triangulated tapering legs. They have their original leather upholstery and all retain their Fritz Hansen labels. I wrongly thought I was familiar with pretty much all the chairs that FH had produced in the 50s & 60s?. having done an afternoon and evening of research, it turns out I don?t. Most frustratingly, despite having the model number (I supposed that 6501 is the model number?) I still can?t discover who designed these, or when. I?m hoping that someone on here will have a well read catalogue or well fed brain that they can draw from to let me know who designed these please. Is there a clue to the age from the style of label used? Sincere thanks in advance, to be followed by yet more thanks in the event of illumination?.

Brandtcopenhagen
(@brandtcopenhagen)
Eminent Member
07/06/2014 7:47 pm  

Niels O Møller
Could it be Niels O Møller - try to compare with pictures from google. Otherwise FH is always helpfull if you mail them.
Best regards
Nina

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
07/06/2014 7:51 pm  

I can't tell you who designed...
I can't tell you who designed them, but I saw a set of these sold with a solid teak dining table by Povl Dinesen and a Vodder bow tie pull sideboard with Dinesen china cabinet atop it. Doesn't prove anything, but I'd bet they are late 50s or early 60s from the association. Of course their design year could be much earlier, for all I know.
I'd never seen these chairs before, and they had lost their tags, so I didn't know they were FH product, but I still remember them because I liked them so much.

ReplyQuote
jesgord
(@jesgord)
Illustrious Member
07/06/2014 7:55 pm  

I have a Fritz Hansen...
I have a Fritz Hansen Catalog that states that this is chair 4112 and designed by Aage Schmidt Christensen. See pic below

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
07/06/2014 8:27 pm  

What year is that catalog,...
What year is that catalog, jesgord?

ReplyQuote
jesgord
(@jesgord)
Illustrious Member
07/06/2014 8:46 pm  

Its a book/catalog from...
Its a book/catalog from 1963 called "FritzHansen Furniture". The ebay listing linked is to the same one from 1964 which is not mine.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRITZ-HANSEN-FURNITURE-DANISH-arne-jacobsen-eame...

ReplyQuote
cada
 cada
(@cada)
Reputable Member
07/06/2014 11:32 pm  

Sincere thanks, all
Thank you, especially for the catalogue, Jesgord. They are definitely the same chair as the 4112 - I wonder why the different number. Possibly this relates to the fact that I picked these up in England?
I did email Fritz Hansen, but the question was burning at me and no possible level of customer service at their archive department was ever going to satisfy that itching feeling!
I had thought Moller, Hovmand Olsen or Kai Kristiansen, and to be honest, I've never heard of Aage Schmidt Christensen - so, I learn something new today, thank you! I'll have a look at what else I can find out about him.
The design looks as if they should have weakened considerably by now (the dirt is consistent with lots of use) but actually they are remarkably sound. Presumably there's some serious strength hidden under that boxed-in upholstery.
I'd think that around 1963 was about right, judging by the other stuff they had.
I'm really pleased with them, given that I increasingly go with the 'less is more' aesthetic.
Thanks again

ReplyQuote
My Panton Home
(@my-panton-home)
Prominent Member
08/06/2014 3:27 am  

Date of your chair
The 6501 is the date your chairs were made, January 1965.
All FH chairs from about 1962 up to about 1970 are marked with this type of sticker.

ReplyQuote
cada
 cada
(@cada)
Reputable Member
09/06/2014 7:43 pm  

Thanks Api
...so obvious, and yet apparently not! Thanks again.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register