Mid-Century Flatscreen TV stand??  

Page 2 / 3
  RSS

NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
18/03/2009 4:29 am  

Wall mount
Is a PITA. Flat screen still looks quite nice on top of a stand / bench.

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
18/03/2009 6:47 am  

Even a
flat-screen needs its ancillary equipment -- which doesn't wall-mount. So, the traditional cabinet, in some form, still makes sense.
I just got my first flat-screen this winter. Because it had to fit into an existing custom cabinet, where a 13" CRT TV had previously sat, a 19" screen -- without the stand -- was the limit. The room is small, and my needs modest, so I'm quite pleased with the result. I installed the unit to a swivel mount so that wiring, and flexible viewing, are enhanced.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@klm-3verizon-net)
Famed Member
18/03/2009 2:42 pm  

wm h-c
The IKEA piece is wood veneer:
Main parts: Particleboard, Oak veneer, Solid oak, Stain, Clear acrylic lacquer
It's only $300 because they make them by the zillions.
The Stockholm coffee table is another of my faves.
As for wall-mounting a tv, there isn't always a stud in the right place. I'd rather have the TV sitting on a piece of furniture exactly where I want it than have to settle for wherever the stud is on the wall. (Unless there's some magical hanging device that doesn't need to screw into a stud, then ok.)

ReplyQuote
barrympls
(@barrympls)
Illustrious Member
18/03/2009 2:55 pm  

As regards a flat screen TV
someone threw out a Philips flat screen TV around here and a neighbor took it to be fixed at a local TV repair business. He was told that Philips, Magnovox, and the "unknown" brands are not fixable...after these TV's go out of warranty, parts are next to impossible to repair.
Luckily, I bought a Sony Bravia 32" flat screen. The repair guy told me that you should stay away from nice looking but low priced "no name" brand like those sold at Target, WalMart or Best Buy and stick with the real brand names (Sony, Panasonic, JVC, etc.)
A couple of people have mentioned that buying a flat screen was not something that they would consider, but when I watch TV, it's DVD movies or cool stuff on the Cable channels, and having a high definition flat screen TV is really the only way to go.

ReplyQuote
william-holden-...
(@william-holden-2)
Illustrious Member
18/03/2009 4:38 pm  

I pay no mind to studs
when mounting things to the wall-- I use anchors in the dry wall.
I've hung five individual wall-mounted shelving systems (loaded with hundreds of lbs of books, not to mention a 19" television & stereo components), a bike rack, and a couple of heavy mirrors this way. A flat screen TV weighs 50lbs or so, I'd guess.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
18/03/2009 5:52 pm  

Wow
You are brave.

ReplyQuote
barrympls
(@barrympls)
Illustrious Member
18/03/2009 6:12 pm  

I'm too changable to want the TV screen anchored to the wall
I want the option of rearranging.

ReplyQuote
william-holden-...
(@william-holden-2)
Illustrious Member
18/03/2009 6:37 pm  

The first shelving system that I installed was frought with terror--
even though my hardware guy convinced me that anchors were a sound way to install. Twelve years later, everything's still solidly attached to the walls.
(I even have shelving loaded with books above my bed. I often lay in bed, wondering what sort of injuries would occur if those anchors failed, some night-- death by Danish shelving system?)

ReplyQuote
mommapud
(@mommapud)
18/03/2009 11:59 pm  

stockholm unit
I have one, it looks clunky next to better pieces of furniture, but it's not bad value, the drawers have the nice close themselves with a gentle push feature, the swing up cabinets are a good touch and there are removable shelves inside each side with a long gap at the back for the wires. It's pretty heavy so sturdy enough, but ours came with a couple of very minor nicks in the veneer around the drawer handle gaps which was annoying but not enough to drive back over 4 hours to swap it.
Also have the coffee table which was great until we got a wooden one the same shape which made it get relegated to the basement, quality wise it doesn't compare, so bear in mind what it's going to be seen in context with.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@klm-3verizon-net)
Famed Member
19/03/2009 5:51 am  

a minor point
"Flat screen" refers to the surface of the screen, not the whole thing. We just got rid of a flat screen tube tv--nice flat front but big honking overall dimension front-to-back.
The slim TVs are either LCD or plasma. LCD is not as expensive as plasma, I believe.
/nitpicking

ReplyQuote
Linda McAndrew
(@oshunbrzsan-rr-com)
Reputable Member
19/03/2009 7:32 pm  

TV .. danish sideboard
Very nice looking sideboard, who manufacturers it & where did you find it?
My neighbor used an Ikea very low & long credenza for her 52" tv, it looks really great for a large screen as it's not sitting to high. Our houses are mid-century modern and architecturally very cool, the architect won an award for his design.
Thanks for posting a photo,most helpful.

ReplyQuote
rockland
(@rockland)
Illustrious Member
19/03/2009 8:34 pm  

Mine is wall mounted.
At the height of a painting. Under is a two shelf Cado unit. I didn't really
want or have room for a credenza.
I have 6ft of wall between two big glass sliders. Eventually the original curtain
wall will go back up and it will be hidden behind.
Seems everyones room determines what works best.
Love the Royal System Robert, and Nicks cabinet.
Tulipman, seems like you could find a wall mount cabinet with a small footprint.
Smaller than a Nelson bench? That would help hide the cables and cable box.
Christoph Niemanns
My Life With Cables
http://niemann.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/03/16/my-life-with-cables/

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
19/03/2009 10:29 pm  

This
photo of the Foo residence, by Apollo Architects, shows a wall-hung cabinet, with the TV and other items placed on top.

ReplyQuote
sirlampsalot
(@sirlampsalot)
Reputable Member
24/03/2009 4:37 am  

Projectors
has anyone considered projectors with components stations in a corner of the room or tucked in a side table for easy
reach. A very good idea I have seen executed somewhere.
I just cannot remember

ReplyQuote
Lunchbox
(@lunchbox)
Illustrious Member
24/03/2009 5:43 am  

Bertoia bench
That's how I roll, bitches...

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com