Cart

Making IKEA style f...

Making IKEA style furniture at home?  

RSS

joblovangoh
(@joblovangoh)
05/11/2015 11:14 pm  

Okay so we all know how technology is awesome (Most of the times at least) but
can you really just 'print' furniture at home using these so called '3D printers'?

I mean have a look at these furniture pieces:

http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle/printed-furniture.html

https://pinshape.com/items/13053-3d-printed-ikea-hack-mulig-shelving-unit-proroomba

They were all made using 3d Printers!

Does anyone here have experience with '3D printing' furniture or any kind of 3d printing for that matter?

Is it really easy as they make it sound or just another hyped up technology like the Segway lol

I've made furniture in the past but never heard of a little machine do it for me and with apparently pinpoint accuracy.

Love to have someone who is familiar with this stuff share their thoughts.

Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
05/11/2015 11:22 pm  

I don't know anything about this but can tell you that the IKEA "Mulig" hack isn't an entire shelf unit made on a 3D printer, it's just the plastic foot that clips or screws onto the metal side support part. The guy needed 20mm extra height on it so he made a new foot for it.

ReplyQuote
fastfwd
(@fastfwd)
Illustrious Member
06/11/2015 11:16 am  

The "11 Best 3D Printed Furniture" article is a little misleading. Nearly all of those pieces are artworks that are either unique or available only in very limited editions, like 10.
Most of the pieces look like furniture but can't actually be used. And as far as I can tell, the ones that can be used aren't actually 3D-printed. For example, Peter Donders' beautiful Batoidea chair (the red one with the footstool, below) is cast in aluminum in the usual way; 3D printing is only employed to make the mold. Dirk Vander Kooij's Endless chair (in the video below) is made by a CNC extruder that lays down a quarter-inch-diameter molten plastic thread -- which is cool, but isn't what most people would call 3D printing.
Unfortunately, 3D printing still isn't strong enough to make really usable well-designed furniture. Janne Kyttanen's Monarch stool (the white piece shown below) can apparently support a person's weight -- but it's pretty graceless. And 3D-printed furniture is also still expensive; those stools can only be purchased in a set of five, for $9466.
So... 3D printing can work for smaller items that don't need much strength -- lighting, for example, or decorative accessories -- but it doesn't appear to me that you can use it to make real furniture at home.

ReplyQuote
joblovangoh
(@joblovangoh)
06/11/2015 7:08 pm  

Thanks for the feedback guys. Yeah I had a feeling this was too good to be true. I'll give this technology another 5-10 years (10 years +) to actually start "printing" real furniture.

ReplyQuote
difeliciantonio
(@difeliciantonio)
Noble Member
06/11/2015 8:33 pm  

I have a lot of experience with 3D printing. As the technology progresses you will see a lot more things it would be used to make.
Currently the big hype with them is a few companies are making houses out of them using a dirt like material. More and more materials are being able to be printed . I think It was MIT that had a machine set up to print food and also remember another article about printing clothes in the future.
Most machines that people have acces at home and not professional ones have small build areas of like 5x5x5 so unless your only printing a small part you are gonna have to print it in dozens of parts.
I feel like the furniture today that has used this tech has mostly been experimental. When I was in college, in one of my furniture classes, the project was to build a lamp shade with 3D printing. It was fun but I prefer traditional processes and materials

ReplyQuote
joblovangoh
(@joblovangoh)
06/11/2015 10:20 pm  

Thanks for sharing difeliciantonio. Really appreciate your point of view as you've obviously done some 3d printing yourself. Definitely looks interesting guys. If this technology does deliver in due time, it would definitely bring down a lot of manufacturing costs pretty much all over the world.

ReplyQuote
difeliciantonio
(@difeliciantonio)
Noble Member
06/11/2015 10:32 pm  

It's also becoming Prevalent in transportation industry. Boeing has started making parts with printers and what I think is the coolest thing is that Koenigsegg is using them on the 1:one for the turbos
Machines that people have at homes are like
Form 1 which is SLA type
Makerbot which is FDM type
As there is different types of 3D printers in terms of how they build the object . Each with strengths and weaknesses whether it's time to build, strength of object, or the resolution of the print.

ReplyQuote
joblovangoh
(@joblovangoh)
14/05/2016 12:11 am  

@difeliciantonio 100% agreed. Actually I wanted to give you guys an update that we've (Well my boss) managed to get a 3d printer ourselves (BIG YES!) and are using it at our home furniture shop. You were definitely right about the different types and materials out there. Our uses a 'tough resin' ( http://formlabs.com/support/materials/using-tough-resin/ . This is very exciting stuff and I can't wait to share some of our creations here shortly 🙂 PS: This tech has definitely increased my passion for design and creating even more.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register