Le Creuset question

Le Creuset question  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

Tulipman
(@tulipman)
Illustrious Member
09/01/2013 11:04 pm  

Found a nice pale yellow Le Creuset 2.5 quart dutch oven at the local thrift for $2.49.Unfortunatley its bottom seeemed scraped up and darkened due to the thinning enamel.Would this be safe to use? Anyhow,cool to look at with its pale yellow/Chartreuse.

Dreamer
(@einsteinrebeccaymail-com)
09/01/2013 11:16 pm  

I luv old stuff
How nice 🙂 I love old stuff but unfortunately can't answer your question. I'm sure someone will be able to help you. Good luck!

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
09/01/2013 11:24 pm  

Sure
Isn't it just cast iron underneath?

ReplyQuote
Riki
 Riki
(@riki)
Illustrious Member
10/01/2013 12:18 am  

I have
probably 15 pieces of vintage Le Creuset which I use daily and they are in varying states of grunginess/decomposition. No one has died or even sickened yet from eating anything cooked in/on them, so I say, bon appetit.

ReplyQuote
Robert Leach
(@robertleach1960yahoo-co-uk)
Illustrious Member
10/01/2013 12:46 am  

Same here
what Riki said

ReplyQuote
Tulipman
(@tulipman)
Illustrious Member
10/01/2013 12:50 am  

Excellent-I'll consider it "seasoned",then.
Thanks for your input ,one and all! 🙂

ReplyQuote
Grendel_The_Cat
(@grendel_the_cat)
Noble Member
10/01/2013 3:08 am  

bleach
you can boil a little bit of bleach and water in it to brighten the enamel up!

ReplyQuote
Riki
 Riki
(@riki)
Illustrious Member
10/01/2013 3:13 am  

I would
except bleach is strictly verboten in Switzerland! We have fake "quasi-bleach" to ensure that no Clorox ever leaches into the ground so that our precious cows and goats (who produce our delicious milk and cheese) ever come into contact with any grasses tainted with bleach. Y'all are laughing, but it is true.
And don't even get me started on the rules against Round-Up.

ReplyQuote
Solange
(@solange)
Noble Member
10/01/2013 3:49 am  

Simmer
the pot with a dollop of baking soda in water for 15-30 minutes. Worked to good result for me in removing stains from a Cathrineholm enamel coffee kettle.

ReplyQuote
Riki
 Riki
(@riki)
Illustrious Member
10/01/2013 3:59 am  

This post
has gone way off topic, but I will try that little tip this weekend. Thanks, Solange.

ReplyQuote
cheesedanish
(@cheesedanish)
Trusted Member
14/01/2013 11:37 am  

Just make sure
none of the enamel is loose or flaking off. You don't want to ingest that unless you have a circus act as a glass swallower. Otherwise cook away. I have one with the enamel all gone on bottom and haven't had a sore tummy yet.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@tioramdesignyahoo-com)
Honorable Member
19/01/2013 8:19 pm  

Le creuset
Years ago, I owned a full set of Le Creuset. Once the enamel started to show signs of wear and hairline cracks, it was only a short matter of time that the enamel started to flake off in the food while cooking. At the time, I could not research whether the enamel was safe to ingest so the entire set was discarded. This was only after a few years of use. Needless to say, I avoid this type of cookware and stick to cast iron or stainless. Love the colors though.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@taylorallreadgmail-com)
19/01/2013 9:16 pm  

Do you use metal utensils whe...
Do you use metal utensils when cooking? That might account for the enamel wearing off so fast.

ReplyQuote
Robert Leach
(@robertleach1960yahoo-co-uk)
Illustrious Member
19/01/2013 10:22 pm  

I've had some of my Le Creuset
for over 25 years and never had any flaking of the enamel
sure, it's discoloured and worn on the inside, and a couple of pieces even have cracks, but the enamel has never flaked.
Are you referring to the inner coating, or the cloured enamel on the outside?

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@tioramdesignyahoo-com)
Honorable Member
20/01/2013 6:59 am  

Le Creuset
This was the white enamel on the inside. I owned the set back in the mid to late 1970s. I apologize for not specifically remembering the main material of utensils I used, but I would have to say that it probably was stainless steel for the most part. There was not a lot of plastic and certainly no silicone utensils back then. Rubber spatulas were available, however, and I would use them from time to time. I could not have been the only consumer who experienced this problem with the interior enamel.
Does anyone know if Le Creuset has ever changed the formulation of their enamels over the years?
By the way, my set was orange.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register