The Last Thing You Acquired #39  

Page 4 / 11
  RSS

Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
18/07/2015 5:29 pm  

I certify that this tapestry entitled "Harfang"
It has been woven on the original carton During Corlazzoli Cecilia Brungnini of 1976.
Technique: Kelim (Tapestry) Haute Lisse
Materials: Wool and synthetic
Jaime Zudañez 22755
Montevideo, Uruguay
[phone number]
Do not expose Alsil
Pretty sure "carton" means "cartoon" which is art term for a simple drawing that is the basis for a design. Here ya go:
"A cartoon (from the Italian "cartone" and Dutch word "karton", meaning strong, heavy paper or pasteboard) is a full-size drawing made on sturdy paper as a study or modello for a painting, stained glass or tapestry. Cartoons were typically used in the production of frescoes, to accurately link the component parts of the composition when painted on damp plaster over a series of days (giornate).[3]
Such cartoons often have pinpricks along the outlines of the design; a bag of soot was then patted or "pounced" over the cartoon, held against the wall to leave black dots on the plaster ("pouncing"). Cartoons by painters, such as the Raphael Cartoons in London and examples by Leonardo da Vinci, are highly prized in their own right. Tapestry cartoons, usually coloured, were followed by eye by the weavers on the loom."
eta: It's actually "cartón" which translates to "cardboard" --so that fits.

ReplyQuote
Onewildandcrazyguy
(@onewildandcrazyguy)
Eminent Member
18/07/2015 5:48 pm  

Thanks for that...I couldn't figure out how "cardboard" (what the online translator fed me) fit into the making of this.
Do you know what "corlazzoli" is?

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
18/07/2015 6:00 pm  

It reads:
I certify that this tapestry titled HARFANG has been woven over Cecilia Brugnini de Corlazzoli's original cartoon during (in) 1976.
Technique: kelim
Measurements: 1 meter x 1 meter
Materials: wool and synthetics
Jaime Zudañez 2755
Montevideo Uruguay
Telephone:78-65-69
DO NOT EXPOSE TO SUNLIGHT
Spanky's understanding of "cartón" is correct. It is an art specific term in this case, not cardboard. It is a colored full size drawing, painting or other form of image of the tapestry to be that is placed directly below the horizontal loom so that the weaver can accurately duplicate the "cartón" in the textile being woven directly above it.
In this case it is saying that Cecilia Brugnini de Corlazzoli made the cartoon, and presumably Jaime Zudañez wove it in 1976.
I can't really read the signature, but I would expect it to say Jaime Zudañez.

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
18/07/2015 6:12 pm  

I had taken Brugnini de Corlazzoli to be a last name, perhaps a Spanish version of what would be a perfectly normal Italian name, Brugnini da Corlazzoli, which would literally mean Brugnini from Corlazzoli. It isn't a particularly common Spanish naming pattern at all though.
It is entirely possible that it means Cecilia Brugnini from Corlazzoli. Maybe there is a place in Uruguay called Corlazzoli, which is an Italian word, but there are lots of Italians in that part of South America, so maybe they named places with italian names. Or maybe there is a Corlazzoli in Italy, where she was from, and she was an immigrant.
Understanding this would probably require a bit of context on this Cecilia.

ReplyQuote
Onewildandcrazyguy
(@onewildandcrazyguy)
Eminent Member
18/07/2015 6:18 pm  

Thanks again.
I do think though that Jaime Zudaneze is a street name in this instance. After a South American Hero that lived in Montevideo, Uruguay.
I also believe that it was woven by the Artist herself due to the signiture in the weaving (although that is a huge assumption). Cecelia is a fiber artist so it is not a situation similar to a Calder or Mattise tapestry that was done by a company that specializes in the art of tapestry weaving.
I have reached out to her and although I did not ask her directly if this was done by her hand she did state that she thought it had hung in Washington DC at the OAS.
I did not ask her to translate:)
It is one of my favorite pieces here...
Just read the above reply.
Cecelia is Italian, I am not sure when she immigrated to Uruguay however.
I'll look for towns in Italy for it.
Love this brainstorming/detective work:)

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
18/07/2015 6:31 pm  

That is probably a much better understanding of that line. It would explain why there is a street number.
So in that case the signature is the certifying party. Presumably it does read Cecilia Brugnini.
Apparently Cecilia was born in Montevideo. Another possibility for the "de Corlazzoli" is that it is another art term modifying "cartón," but I have no idea what it would mean in this case and the word order would be really strange.
In any case it is an Italian word, not Spanish. And Brugnini is italian too, which is why I read the two italian words together as a name the first time on first read. "de" is inconveniently not italian those, so it is an uncomfortable sandwich.

ReplyQuote
modernefamilie
(@modernefamilie)
Noble Member
20/07/2015 7:46 pm  

Just picked up what I think is an HP Hansen credenza and unknown floating hutch yesterday. I was there to buy something else and when she showed me the "German" cabinet she was surprised that I was interested in it and practically gave it away! Needless to say, I'm still shaking!

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
27/07/2015 6:31 am  

Børge Mogensen Daybed for Fredericia Furniture. I re-upholstered it myself. The whole thing is hand stitched, but it was worth it!

ReplyQuote
niceguy
(@112952msn-com)
Illustrious Member
27/07/2015 3:13 pm  

leif ericson,
Congratulations on a well done job. I am positive that my work would look like the jeans I cut off as a young person with one leg continually shorter than the other. I know my limitations.

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
27/07/2015 4:24 pm  

Thanks niceguy!

ReplyQuote
niceguy
(@112952msn-com)
Illustrious Member
27/07/2015 5:28 pm  

I found a few smalls at the local Goodwill this month. Nothing substantial, but inexpensive and useful.
1. Sigvard Bernadotte and Acton Bjørn Margrethe 3 L Mepal Service melamine mixing bowl for Rosti Denmark
2. Kaj Franck 12-63 teapot for Arabia Finland
3. Jens Quistgaard staved teak tulip bowl for Dansk International Designs Ltd IHQ Malaysia (30 cm Ø)
4. Niels Refsgaard Bisserup White ribbed souffle for Dansk International Designs Ltd Japan
5. Niels Refsgaard Bisserup White rimmed casserole for Dansk International Designs Ltd Japan (3)
6. Niels Refsgaard Christianshavn Blue Bistro bowl for Dansk International Designs Ltd Japan
7. Toikka, Oiva Flora fruit bowl for Iittala (19 cm Ø)
8. Lella Vignelli deep loaf-pâté pan for Heller
9. Massimo Vignelli glass canister with white plastic lid for Heller
Nothing was more than a few dollars and I am compelled to buy these items for "pennies". I could not locate a photo on-line of the teapot and was forced to use my camera.
I also like books and found:
1. Ernest Borgnine Ernie the autobiography for Citadel signed copy (good read)
2. Allen Rucker The Sopranos A Family History for New American Library signed copy Vincent Pastore Big Pussy (fluff for fans)
The same deal... for a few dollars each I had to buy.

ReplyQuote
andym
(@andyhomelifedirect-co-uk)
27/07/2015 5:59 pm  

One of these for my office...
(edited by DA - link removed - no advertising on the forum please)

ReplyQuote
niceguy
(@112952msn-com)
Illustrious Member
27/07/2015 7:38 pm  

andym,
This would appear to be a bad advertisement for POS furniture. Should I be incorrect, it would seem that you have pedestrian to poor taste and very little understanding of the nature of this forum. Keep the lights low (the darker the better) in your office. My dogs sleep on better (Sophie Larger Glup for ligne roset).

ReplyQuote
Cap'n Sensible Shoes
(@reno_jonesyahoo-com)
Eminent Member
27/07/2015 7:46 pm  

I found a 1949 Canal Press serigraph of an 1854 Shaker painting called "The Tree of Life" by Hannah Cohoon.
It's mid-19th-century, but graphically it has a really modern feel that will fit in nicely with my decor once re-framed. I love it.

ReplyQuote
juanearl
(@juanearl)
Reputable Member
27/07/2015 7:53 pm  

Haven't been buying much recently but picked up this Alexander Calder litho last week. Fairly common but I enjoy it and the price was right. Almost an abstraction of the last post also.

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 11
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register