The Last Thing that You Acquired #29  

Page 5 / 9
  RSS

NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
28/05/2014 7:19 pm  

mo-no
I am digging that chair. It looks quite comfortable. The color of the wood is not bad in my opinion (obviously doesn't look like rosewood anymore though). I would probably just try an oil/wax treatment first and see how it looks.

ReplyQuote
niceguy
(@112952msn-com)
Illustrious Member
28/05/2014 10:35 pm  

nice thoughts
Mark,
Thank you for thinking of me. I appreciate your placing profit and me in the same thought.
I believe you know and understand the "shrink wrap" your customer requested is the 3M product used on factory new cars (usually white) during transport and advertising (any color or image) on cars and buses and not the product in your pantry.
Mark,
I think you should acquire the "Red Baron" Mercedes Benz 600 LWB 4-door Pullman Limousine (you do not want to appear pretentious with a 6-door unit). The original owner, Charles Schultz, factory outfitted the car with flag holders (usually for diplomats) for Snoopy flags and red exterior coloring. This is the perfect car for you. Fly the Mark flags.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
28/05/2014 10:38 pm  

Mark
Certainly not worthless, I'm sure. Anyway, would love to see what else you bring back from storage (in addition to your purvis). 🙂

ReplyQuote
gene
 gene
(@genebalkgmail-com)
Famed Member
29/05/2014 7:11 am  

Evelyn Ackerman
Evelyn Ackerman

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
31/05/2014 1:57 am  

so this morning...
I came home with a metal (bronze?) wall hanging from my favorite charity resale store.
Hi,
Aunt Mark

ReplyQuote
waffle
(@waffle)
Illustrious Member
31/05/2014 2:07 am  

that charity shop
must LOVE to see you come through their front door....

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
31/05/2014 3:56 am  

George Zupp
"Anna Nichole"

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
31/05/2014 10:27 pm  

As in "Chicken George" from Texas?
Woody, your art collection is divine. Today, I bought a couple of different toss pillows...and I really don't like toss pillows! But this one was interesting, in that it is encased in shiny "aluminum colored" panty hose.
All the best,
Aunt Mark

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
01/06/2014 1:28 am  

Hi waffle.
Yes, the old gals like to see me pop into the resale store, as I usually bring them cookies and vodka (and I re-donate items weekly). I had to swing by after lunch today, as the gals were saving some items for me (unethical..I know). The teak tray with glass dishes are made in Denmark (labeled on the glass and the wood), the bowl is unlabeled, but I think that it might be teak (and 1 piece?), and the metal/porcelain plate is unlabeled as well (but so sweet). All items are in perfect condition.
Hi,
Aunt Mark

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
01/06/2014 4:39 am  

Steve Burnley
"The Bearded Five"
Yes Mark, Chicken George... You got it.

ReplyQuote
Eameshead
(@eameshead)
Illustrious Member
01/06/2014 5:02 am  

woody
I think George Zupp knows how to paint.
Some of his figures (in his other paintings) demonstrate a very "academically" learned eye and hand, with regards to proportions, light/shadow, and the modulation of mixed colors.
So what constitutes a painter as an "outsider" anyway? He seems to have the ability to go "primitive" when he feels like it, but appears downright classical in some other paintings.
Is "outsider art" just another broad generalization? A tag?
Or are there "rules"? Like not having any schooling? How long can someone stay "unlearned" and unschooled if they paint all the time?
These and other pressing questions haunt me with every painting you post, woody.
Maybe its just the word I have trouble with, more than the paintings. Is "outsider" just a convenient career pathway if one wants to circumvent the gallery establishment? Or is it more than that?
edit: I guess it has to do with the assumption that these artists are authentic primitives, and it feels like a "lie" when I see one changing gears at will.
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/289919294734142260/

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
01/06/2014 5:38 am  

EamesHead
I definitely think the term or genre of "outsider art" is being blurred these days to the point where it's almost just being applied to describe an aesthetic style (or range of styles). Certainly, it's always been somewhat of a contradictory concept since its origins with Dubuffet and Art Brut. I only recently discovered George Zupp, so I don't know his background and whether or not he's had any formal training. By the strictest definition, he would not be considered an outsider artist since he is self-aware and actively selling his paintings.
Perhaps Dear Aunt Mark has more information on him.
Here is a good book on outsider art.
http://www.amazon.com/Art-Brut-The-Origins-Outsider/dp/2080305433/ref=sr...

ReplyQuote
Eameshead
(@eameshead)
Illustrious Member
01/06/2014 6:07 am  

Thanks woody
I like the two key points you make about George: He is "self-aware, and is actively selling his paintings".
I had the sense that he knew light/shadow rendering and color mixing just from seeing that "Anna Nicole" painting. Not quite as full on primitive as many of his others.
I think I like his most primitive looking paintings the best though. He certainly has the ability to invent, whatever the paint language.

ReplyQuote
phonegirl
(@phonegirl)
Prominent Member
01/06/2014 8:49 am  

found today...tray table
garage sale for a change. paid more than garage sale price. the seller said it had come out of a house of a friend's mothers and that if it didn't sell that she'd take it to a shop on Monday. still. i'm happy.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
01/06/2014 9:00 am  

phonegirl
Beautiful FH table. Looks to be in great shape.

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 9
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register