Cart

Just picked this up...

Just picked this up at a thrift store  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

JustinSprung
(@justinsprung)
30/12/2013 3:27 am  

I've looked it over completely and there are zero makers marks. The drawer fronts are solid with very nice dovetail joints. There is no particle or fiber board in the construction. the drawer glides are wood. the top drawer is felt lined. looks to be very solid and a good quality piece. And the back is finished.
Its not my favorite piece by a mile, but for $40 I thought it was worth it.
Any info as to maker? Sorry about the poor picture.
Thanks

JustinSprung
(@justinsprung)
30/12/2013 3:28 am  

more
the entire front slightly bows forward. drawers in the center and the sliding doors reveal shelving.

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
30/12/2013 4:40 am  

Forty dollars !
Hell, there's $40 worth of firewood there. Instead of firewood, you see a lovely piece of well-made furniture. Miracles do occur . . .

ReplyQuote
JustinSprung
(@justinsprung)
30/12/2013 4:47 am  

ok? I guess I don't get it.
ok? I guess I don't get it.

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
30/12/2013 6:25 am  

Oh I am sure there is...
Oh I am sure there is particle board lurking just beneath the veneer. The things that lurk in the hearts of men, and their credenzas.
But I am drawn to this business of seeing miracles in firewood. I wonder where do they preach this religion? Maybe in the scandinavian furniture warehouses of yesterday, the thrift stores of today, and the mid-mod boutiques of tomorrow. Better living through designer transubstantiation. What a thought! "Miraculous" hardly does it justice.
And to think you would light the pyre only to warm your fingers, even in jest, SDR, when there is so much more.

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
30/12/2013 7:32 am  

Did you look inside all the drawers for marks?
Sometimes there's a label or incised mark on the inside surface of the side of a drawer.
It's a useful piece of furniture for $40 but the plinth base indicates that it's a lower end design and probably not terribly old.
I wonder, did D-Scan of Thailand make sideboards? I've seen lots of Thailand-made teak chairs in the Danish style but haven't noticed sideboards.
It looks like something Scan would have sold in the recent past, before they folded.

ReplyQuote
foxxxy
(@foxxxy)
Famed Member
30/12/2013 9:02 am  

Since when does a plinth...
Since when does a plinth base indicate a piece of furniture is 'low end'?
I own a Børge Mogensen rosewood wall unit with a plinth base that was made in 1947 and is beautifully crafted. Definitely not a low end piece of furniture.
JustinSprung, look into Skovby as it looks like something they might have manufactured.

ReplyQuote
bj
 bj
(@bj)
Illustrious Member
30/12/2013 3:32 pm  

I agree: Skovby
nice piece

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
30/12/2013 6:06 pm  

foxxxxy
Sorry, I should have said that it's *often* an indicator of low-end design.
A lot of later Danish-style furniture was made with plinth bases to save on manufacturing costs. But like anything else, there are always exceptions to the generalization.

ReplyQuote
JustinSprung
(@justinsprung)
30/12/2013 8:26 pm  

I've looked inside and around...
I've looked inside and around all drawers. Literally everywhere. No makers mark at all.
I know its not a vintage piece, but probably from the 80s, 90s, or even newer.
I will keep searching.

ReplyQuote
Robert Leach
(@robertleach1960yahoo-co-uk)
Illustrious Member
30/12/2013 8:33 pm  

I'd say
80s, and either Skovby or Dyrlund

ReplyQuote
waffle
(@waffle)
Illustrious Member
30/12/2013 10:34 pm  

I was thinking
dyrlund.
they are often solid teak and often not marked (they had paper labels and for some reason seem to fall of frequently).

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
30/12/2013 10:45 pm  

Could be Dyrlund, but it...
Could be Dyrlund, but it isn't solid teak. You can tell from the repeating veneer grain.
edit: the case isn't solid teak (the top and sides). And the doors aren't solid either. But the drawer fronts may well be solid

ReplyQuote
waffle
(@waffle)
Illustrious Member
30/12/2013 11:43 pm  

dyrlund
I have checked out a couple and they share the same kind of 70's vibe. But both were in fact solid teak. Rather remarkable. Didn't buy them as they were sort of ugly.

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
30/12/2013 11:53 pm  

Sorry to mystify.
I just meant that, at $40, it's a miracle find -- and that $40 could buy someone a lot of firewood -- hopefully not this nice teak credenza !
I'll stop now . . .

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register