JHQ vs. IHQ Quistga...

JHQ vs. IHQ Quistgaard  

RSS

Riki
 Riki
(@riki)
Illustrious Member
15/08/2008 5:47 am  

This question is for all the Danes and Dane lovers. Why are some of the Dansk teak tableware items marked JHQ and some are marked IHQ? Is it because the IHQ's were made in Denmark and the JHQ's were made in Taiwan? Thanks in advance for your input.

NULL NULL
(@varsitmsn-com)
Trusted Member
15/08/2008 7:02 am  

jhk meand jens harald quistgaard
I think IHK means the same.

ReplyQuote
sharplinesoldtimes
(@sharplinesoldtimes)
Illustrious Member
15/08/2008 3:11 pm  

It's a old Danish thing....
It's a old Danish thing. When saying "Jens" in Danish, the name sounds like it starts with an I. The same goes for almost all other words starting with a J. So, in the old days when a abbreviation was used for a word starting with a J, they used an I instead. Though it was discarded sometime in the 1960's I think. The items marked IHQ are therefore older.

ReplyQuote
Riki
 Riki
(@riki)
Illustrious Member
15/08/2008 5:05 pm  

Thank you!
So, is his first name pronounced phonetically "Inns" or "Eens"?

ReplyQuote
sharplinesoldtimes
(@sharplinesoldtimes)
Illustrious Member
15/08/2008 5:46 pm  

It's more like Iens. The I...
It's more like Iens. The I sounds like the y in fx strawberry and the e sounds like the a in Jay.
When saying Jens, we say it very fast and soft. Not hard like Jay or jello. The J (though sounding like an I) melts together with the e. Does it make any sense? 🙂

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@klm3comcast-net)
Noble Member
15/08/2008 5:51 pm  

Yens
with an "s" sound on the end, not "z". The Danish phonetic spelling is different because their Y sound isn't the same as in English. It's like a German e with an umlaut (say "eee" with your lips formed to say "ooo".)
Thanks for clearing that up, M_Andersen. I have bought and sold tons of old Dansk things and never understood why they were marked IHQ.

ReplyQuote
Robert Leach
(@robertleach1960yahoo-co-uk)
Illustrious Member
17/08/2008 1:46 am  

Me neither............
I often wondered if the serif from the J was missing when it was stamped/ marked.
You explained it beautifully..thanks Martin 🙂

ReplyQuote
dashes
(@dashes)
Prominent Member
17/08/2008 2:57 am  

It almost sounds like it's the equivalent of "Ian" with an s on the end
I know there's a thread here buried somewhere in here that was all about pronunciation.
I know I must mangle just about every name I attempt, but fortunately I don't find myself talking about them too much, mostly writing.
So then is Quistgaard like it looks, "qwist-guard"? or is that also a horrible American mangle? Maybe it's "keest-guard" or maybe it's not "guard" at all?

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@klm3comcast-net)
Noble Member
17/08/2008 3:32 am  

Not "guard"
The double A, which is the same as å, is like a long "O" sound, and then you barely pronounce the R and the D is dropped entirely. So the second syllable is pretty much just "go" with a hint of an "hr", at the end....sorta.
I think the Quist would be "kvist" but I'm not positive.
The link below has a sound file of the name Kierkegaard, so you can hear how to say it. It's a nice site for very basic pronunciation.
http://www.speakdanish.dk/html/phrases_famous_danes.htm

ReplyQuote
sharplinesoldtimes
(@sharplinesoldtimes)
Illustrious Member
17/08/2008 6:16 pm  

I really like this thread :)...
I really like this thread 🙂 I'm quite surprised by your interest and curiosity regarding how to pronounce Jens H. Quistgaard's name.
Well, the "Quist" part sounds like "kvist", only it's said more fluently without the v, like when you guys say "quest".
The two a's in "gaard" sounds like the O's in "Oregon".
Should we also take his middlename Harald? 🙂

ReplyQuote
Rob Meijer
(@rc-meijerhccnet-nl)
17/08/2008 9:22 pm  

JHQ versus IHQ
In Europe it is very often used to write the J as an I. Only the items manufactured till about 1962 are marked JHQ, since 1963 you will find IHQ on items made in Denmark, Ftrance, Japan and Taiwan. Some candle holders are marked IBR, standing for Jörge Rajalin!
All the best Rob Meijer, Beverwijk, the Netherlands.
http://www.candlepower.nl/Dansk/Dansk-html/article_dansk_3_2008%20.doc.pdf

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
06/03/2012 5:48 am  

Resurrecting
So which is it... JHQ marked items are older than IHQ, vice versa, or is there no fast rule?

ReplyQuote
Rob Meijer
(@rc-meijerhccnet-nl)
09/03/2012 6:28 pm  

JHQ versus IHQ
Dear Woodywood,
the Dansk Designs with Light series started in 1962. The markings to read: DENMARK only (1962/1963).
Later DENMARK JHQ or JHQ DENMARK (1964/1965).
In smaller capitals the marking changed in: DANSK DESIGNS DENMARK IHQ© (1965 till ca. 1985). Cast in Denmark in the foundry of Svendborg.
Latest markings to read: DANSK DESIGNS IHQ/ TAIWAN.Cast in Taiwan. Between Denmark and Taiwan there where castings made in Japan, but these holders are marked with a label only.
More about cast iron holders on the site of www.candlepower.nl
Go to hte Shop and you will find my articles, written as a guest on that site.
All yours,
Rob Meijer, Beverwijk, the Netherlands.
http://www.candlepower.nl

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
09/03/2012 7:13 pm  

Hi Rob
Thanks for your information. To clarify, I was asking more specifically about the Dansk wood products (pepper mills, ice buckets, trays, etc.).
Do you know if the same history of the markings applies to these? Thanks.

ReplyQuote
Rob Meijer
(@rc-meijerhccnet-nl)
10/03/2012 7:11 pm  

Dansk rare woods
Hi Woodywood,
an expert in Dansk Rare Woods is: Todd Pederzani on: http://www.tpederzani.com/pepper/Main_Page
I hope you will find more info soon!
All yhe best
Rob.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register