Design Addict

Cart

Industria Argentina...

Industria Argentina Barcelona Chairs  

RSS

jewel
(@stum8690bellsouth-net)
07/06/2010 9:44 am  

Hello, I have tow chairs from my Fathers estate and I need help in identifying their value and age. I remember them from the 1950's but I am not sure if they are older than that. I am also in need of information on their value. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

fastfwd
(@fastfwd)
Illustrious Member
07/06/2010 12:14 pm  

"Industria Argentina" means "Made in Argentina".
Ludwig Mies van der Rohe (and/or Lilly Reich) designed the chair in the late 1920s, so of course your chairs are no older than that. If you remember them from the 1950s, then that narrows down the date of their production to sometime between 1930 and the 1950s. I'm sorry, I can't tell you any more about their age.
Leather is a byproduct of the huge cattle industry in Argentina, so leather-furniture manufacture is also a big industry there. Replicas of the Barcelona chair have been manufactured in Argentina for a long time, by multiple manufacturers most of whom don't sell the chairs at retail under their own name.
Argentine replicas of the Barcelona can be purchased new for under $1000 each, which is much less than the retail price charged by Knoll, the licensed manufacturer (although of course $1000 is still a lot of money for a chair).
Like most unlicensed replicas, these chairs do not appreciate in value over time. I'm sure they have more sentimental value to you than "book value", and they appear to be in good condition (although perhaps missing a few straps? It's hard to tell from the photo). Keep and enjoy them.

ReplyQuote
jewel
(@stum8690bellsouth-net)
07/06/2010 7:53 pm  

Thank you for the...
Thank you for the information. They are in good condition. There are no straps missing. They are from the "Selig Manufacturing Co." The chairs are not my style so I am going to sell them at an local auction, but I was unsure as to what a fair price would be for them. This auction lets you set a "reserve price" I am from a area that does get this type of furniture often. I had no idea what they should sell for. I appreciate your time and information. Julie

ReplyQuote
Jason D
(@aliefduffeyyahoo-com)
28/02/2011 1:52 am  

I have the same chairs! from my Grandmother.
I have the same chairs and I am trying to sale them now? did you have any luck selling yours? I would like to thank you in advance for any response.
(edited by DA - no sales on the forum please)

ReplyQuote
jimmyjimer
(@wbjimersonaol-com)
08/05/2011 9:42 am  

$5000.00 EACH CHAIR
I also have two chairs which I inherited.
My uncle inherited them and left them to me. I recall seeing them in a high end furniture store for $5000.00 each. Honest
I took my uncle to the furniture store to see them and of course there were none on the store floor. However, as we were about to leave a store employee came out of an office and there was a Barcelona chair !!!
We inquired and she confirmed they had previously offered the chair but decided to discontinue it because no one would purchase the five thousand dollar chair.
On the bottom of the chair should be the words (no space) industriaargentina.
I have been offered five thousand for the pair as is. They are truly collectable and I highly suggest you KEEP THEM.
(edited by DA - no sales on the forum - go to the Radar please)

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@por924scheaol-com)
04/05/2014 2:12 am  

Barsalona chair
i also have a barsalona chair my father gave me before he past away,knowing i would probably take better care of it than my siblings,its light brown back cushion very good,the sitting cushion is starting to wear around the corners and opening up,it also says indystriaargintina on both bottom legs, so am i thinking this is from the twenties[20s] or fifties,thanks howard.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register