Cart

Indentations on lea...

Indentations on leather  

RSS

kin1117
(@kin1117)
Famed Member
07/01/2014 8:00 pm  

Hi folks, I picked up this overall lovely Eames Aluminum Soft Pad Lounge Chair. One issue with this chair is it has a couple of indentations on the lower back cushion, probably from an object that had been placed on it over time. I was able to unzip the cushion and poke the dents back up, but then the dents became little lumps instead. It appears that the leather has been stretched a little and I'm wondering if there's a way to reduce the effect.
Also, there's no label on the chair. How old you think it is?
Thanks and Happy New Year to all of you!!

foxxxy
(@foxxxy)
Famed Member
07/01/2014 8:33 pm  

I often encounter this with...
I often encounter this with vinyl upholstered seating and I usually leave the item outside exposed to the sun for a day and the area always snaps back from the heat. Not sure if leather will react the same way, but its worth a try.

ReplyQuote
DavidR
(@davidr)
Estimable Member
07/01/2014 8:57 pm  

I'm not so sure with regard...
I'm not so sure with regard to the dimples, however, the chair looks to be of 70's or 80's vintage. If I had to guess, I would say 1978. The leather looks very nicely worn. Great chair!
Kindly,
David

ReplyQuote
jw468
(@jw468)
Estimable Member
07/01/2014 9:15 pm  

My experience has been that...
My experience has been that the dimples will work themselves out of the leather, you don't have to do anything.

ReplyQuote
kin1117
(@kin1117)
Famed Member
07/01/2014 10:09 pm  

David, would you mind sharing...
David, would you mind sharing why you guess it's 78? Is it the type of leather or the base? Except of those dents, the chair is in very good condition, especially with very little wear around the corners. With the dents, how long do you think it'll take for it to pop back up on its own? I wonder if rubbing it under some low heat from a hair dryer would smooth it out a bit, similar to what foxxy suggested with leaving the vinyl out in the sun.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@yourmommogmail-com)
Eminent Member
08/01/2014 1:37 am  

I would say
that since it has a four star base maybe around 1970-1985?

ReplyQuote
jesgord
(@jesgord)
Illustrious Member
08/01/2014 2:43 am  

Are those Ackerman,...
Are those Ackerman, Panelcarve panels in the background? Are they yours?

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
08/01/2014 8:39 am  

Yes. Tell us about the panels...
Yes. Tell us about the panels please. They are wonderful.

ReplyQuote
kin1117
(@kin1117)
Famed Member
08/01/2014 9:55 am  

Sorry for the illusion but it...
Sorry for the illusion but it probably belongs to the original owner. If you want, I think I can find out more about them and get back to you. They're indeed very nice looking.

ReplyQuote
kin1117
(@kin1117)
Famed Member
09/01/2014 8:56 pm  

Update
I've done some searches and decided to give the hair dryer a try. I started out with low heat and went a little higher meanwhile massaging the leather on the inside and outside of the cushion pocket. After about 15-20, it turned out fairly well. Immediately afterwards I put on some Leather CPR to condition the leather to prevent it from drying out. Overall, it's not perfect but I'm pretty satisfied and may try a second round of treatment later.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register