RSS

sophia
(@sophia)
Eminent Member

Richard Tanimura
(@redo-richardgmail-com)
Prominent Member
21/11/2014 12:15 pm  

I have seen some of these. To me they feel tired and flat but that could just be me. Still IKEA made the originals of some of these so I guess they have the right to dust off the models and put them out again. Build quality and attention to the detail seemed wanting in the "leaf" table. I have a hard time understanding who would want these.

ReplyQuote
objectworship
(@objectworship)
Illustrious Member
21/11/2014 4:46 pm  

I imagine that middle class "young people" will eat this stuff up.  If cheap modern furniture is more prevalent in the marketplace, the better stuff in the secondhand market becomes more invisible to the casual observer, and that is good for people that shop like me.
I don't have a problem with the products so much as the attitude or manner in which they tend to be consumed.

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
21/11/2014 5:29 pm  

Yes, I think that a certain segment of the population is gonna jump all over this stuff instead of hunting for vintage American-made versions of better Scandinavian furniture Craigslist or in thrift shops like they do now.  (Or the real thing if they get lucky.)  I don't think it's going to be the people who are in the market for better quality vintage pieces.
I haven't been to IKEA since this stuff debuted, but I saw a photo of the back of the wood frame sofa with the gray upholstery.  It's got zippers down each side of the back, which makes it look very different from a vintage piece.  I don't know if the fabric is removable---kinda think not, because of the way it is made to look like separate cushions.  But maybe it is.  Anyway, if not, the zippers would elminate a couple of steps in upholstering the back, something that would speed up production if you are doing a million of these.  It's a glaring flag of cheapness to me, but it probably won't bother a lot of people who want this look for less $$$.
Also, the wood is that icky stuff they use for a lot of their furniture---beech or something with the brown-tinted lacquer or whatever it is.  It looks so fake.  
I like a lot of things about IKEA but this stuff, not so much.  But it's a limited-time thing so I doubt will have much impact on the vintage market in the end.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@ralph-geurtsenkpnmail-nl)
21/11/2014 6:05 pm  

What could happen that it makes young people curious about the style and design, pick up ideas, looking for information. And than goes to original pieces, what could be the start for them, a new hobby, new passion... a new designaddict is born. You just never know what it will do for one person.
Do you remember how it started with you what made you a designaddict? For it started looking for cheap used furniture. Now I have pieces not that cheap any more... but still it started looking for cheap used furniture.

ReplyQuote
Richard Tanimura
(@redo-richardgmail-com)
Prominent Member
21/11/2014 9:28 pm  

Sure, Ralphni. But you don't need to see or for that matter buy cheap remakes to awaken an interest in good design. I think there are cheap originals e.g. that are more satisfying than these remakes. Often times these are cheap just because the designer is unknown. 
I think Spanky nailed it. IKEA is surfing the nostalgia wave with stuff that lacks the conviction of the originals.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@ralph-geurtsenkpnmail-nl)
21/11/2014 11:15 pm  

Hi ScanDesign,

That's right! As you like the style, but take a better look at it, and think that is just not it, you will look further and eventually you'll reach original quality design, but after the interest has been aroused.
So all I am saying... It could be a start of interest perhaps because it is just not it. All I want to say, it can be an eye opener, Specialy for young people.
By the way, my excuse for my english, I am Dutch. 

ReplyQuote
Eameshead
(@eameshead)
Illustrious Member
22/11/2014 5:16 am  

Yeah, everybody above is right. 
Just wanted to add that it seems to me that many of the newer designs at IKEA are much more interesting and refined thanf the "vintage" ones. This vintage lot strikes me as heavy and klunky for the most part.
Most dont achieve "lift off"and many blow up on thier own launching pad.
As I probably have said too often already, I agree that IKEA serves as an entry level for quite a few newbies. Hopefully, on the learning curve to the good stuff.

ReplyQuote
bj
 bj
(@bj)
Illustrious Member
22/11/2014 3:05 pm  

I've really turned around, concerning Ikea. I like the fact that you can buy things cheap, but have the choice to spend some more and get also more (apparent) quality, for instance with the PS collection or other for instance smaller, wellthought practical objects.
I think it would be a great step forward when they really scourced old, for example swedish designs, defined by their simplicity in form and material and bring these back to their shop. All within the old specs.Do these cost more, that's no worry, people still have the more economique alternative.
I think of Ekstrom, Fridhagen, ...

ReplyQuote
Richard Tanimura
(@redo-richardgmail-com)
Prominent Member
22/11/2014 4:10 pm  

bj, glad you mentioned Fridhagen. He was really wonderful and is really acknowledged too little nowadays.
The current Axel Einar Hjort craze on the other hand, drives me mad.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register