Cart

How to authenticate...

How to authenticate an Eames CTW table and LCW chair  

RSS

jef180 (FIN)
(@jef180-fin)
Trusted Member
01/05/2013 10:34 pm  

I am interested in some Eames furniture but the seller is not able to provide me with anything substantial to authenticate them and they were originally bought at a flea market. There are no marks or stickers.
What are some surefire ways to identify a real Eames piece? Dimensions, wood structure, screw types?
Thanks for your help!

NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
01/05/2013 10:37 pm  

Here you go:
Fake.

ReplyQuote
jef180 (FIN)
(@jef180-fin)
Trusted Member
01/05/2013 10:57 pm  

Thanks for answering
For future reference, how would one go about authenticating an original piece? I've for example read that HM uses seven layers of plywood in newer pieces... Any other ways?

ReplyQuote
joe L
(@joe-l)
Eminent Member
02/05/2013 1:40 am  

Basically:
if recent furniture like this has no labels: FAKE! Can't see a single reason why owners would remove these...
The chair you show has much sharper lower corners on the backrest than authentic ones. Compare and you will notice...

ReplyQuote
jef180 (FIN)
(@jef180-fin)
Trusted Member
02/05/2013 10:59 pm  

Good tips!
Thanks for sharing. I will not pick them up and I'll let the seller know.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
03/05/2013 12:12 am  

Hi
In addition to the shapes, the legs are too perpendicular to the ground (should be more splayed). The seat, back rest, and table top plywood may be too thick as well, judging from the photos.

ReplyQuote
cdsilva
(@cdsilva)
Illustrious Member
07/05/2013 10:02 pm  

As I have very little...
As I have very little firsthand experience with Eames designs, the occasional Eames threads in this forum have been great for me to slowly learn about various pieces over the last two years.
While I hope to eventually be able to accurately ID the era and authenticity of a piece on sight, I am still at the check-for-certain-features stage.
To that extent, is it safe to say that if the spine of a DCW or LCW tapers in thickness as it extends upwards towards the backrest, that it is authentic and early/middle production? (i.e. do any replicas/knockoffs have tapering spines?)
I am also looking for wood wear, shockmount shape, screw pattern/types, etc, but these criteria can be modified or misrepresented by shady/clueless sellers. Tapering interior plies of the spine does not sound like an easy con.
At this stage, I am less concerned about finding an all-original Evans, and more interested in being able to quickly ID an early/middle authentic piece. Thanks.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register