Cart

How to add fresh sm...

How to add fresh smell to Eames lounge chair  

RSS

KL
 KL
(@kl)
17/04/2013 11:11 pm  

Hi all, I have a 50-yr-old Eames lounge chair that I want to move to my office. It's in decent shape, but it does have the "old" smell to it. I think it comes from the cushion filling because I notice it most when I sit on it, causing the cushions to depress. It's not an awful smell but I can't say it's pleasant either. Any advice on making it smell more fresh? Homemade or a commercial spray?

bgillettephoto
(@bgillettephoto)
Prominent Member
18/04/2013 3:42 am  

This is just a guess...
Pick up a spray bottle of Ozium. They sell it at Wallgreens and a few other places. It's a glycol based spray and is the only thing I've used that actually gets rid of odors instead of just covering them up. It's worked for me with cigarette smoke and the awful barn smell left over from when some mice decided to spend the winter in my Porsche. You'll want to check the label first about using it with leather, but it shouldn't matter much as it's the inside.
Other than that, you can always get the cushions refilled. If you're worried about keeping it original you can buy a second set to use and keep the smelly ones in storage.
There might be some smell left over in the leather. If you do a search on the forum there's been a few posts about different products you can use to take care of that.

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
18/04/2013 4:20 am  

ReplyQuote
bgillettephoto
(@bgillettephoto)
Prominent Member
18/04/2013 8:03 am  

Mark -
2003 Boxster, and a 2010 328i sport/premium for the daily. Right now I'm waiting for the right 2009 997 Targa 4S to come along to replace both year-round.

ReplyQuote
DavidR
(@davidr)
Estimable Member
18/04/2013 9:10 am  

Gentleman, while on the...
Gentleman, while on the topic of both, two questions. As a youngin myself, what are your thoughts on a 2004 or 2005 Saab 9-5 Aero, black on black in a manual? I'm considering one.
In regard to the cushions, do we think there is any way of removing a cat urine odor from an Eames lounge chair cushion?
Best Regards,
David

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@perfectionzip-com-au)
18/04/2013 9:55 am  

Pet urine
Lads
In Australia we have a product called 'Piss Off!' - of course we do
- woks extremely well and TOTALLY removes any urine smells
with only 2 applications
have a read on the website
http://www.ozpetshop.com.au/product_info.php/products_id/1482

ReplyQuote
foxxxy
(@foxxxy)
Famed Member
18/04/2013 10:27 am  

Funny, I am going to see a...
Funny, I am going to see a '64 356sc these weekend and may possibly drive it home if everything looks good.
Looks just like the one in the picture below!

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
18/04/2013 5:28 pm  

ReplyQuote
rockland
(@rockland)
Illustrious Member
18/04/2013 5:52 pm  

I have one of these in my old wrangler.
Now it just smells like an old wrangler.
(amazon)

ReplyQuote
rockland
(@rockland)
Illustrious Member
18/04/2013 5:59 pm  

Or greek out car for 'chair'.
It should know what to do.

ReplyQuote
jw468
(@jw468)
Estimable Member
18/04/2013 8:32 pm  

People sometimes use dry...
People sometimes use dry coffee grounds in smelly cars to absorb odor. Maybe you could place the pads in a large box or bag with some coffee. The coffee smell could be helpful in an office!

ReplyQuote
kin1117
(@kin1117)
Famed Member
19/04/2013 2:58 am  

I'll chime in on the cat pee...
I'll chime in on the cat pee topic. On a separate thread, I mentioned I was dealing with that as well. What I ended up doing with the back cushion filling was to soak it up in white vinegar for a day. Afterwards, the vinegar smell was so strong that I couldn't even tell the pee smell was still there. Then I decided to soak the cushion in half water and half Clorox--probably the proportion was a mistake--because it weakened the seams and fabric that when I rinsed it by pressing it in water, I created a couple open holes on the cushion, with feathers running out. However, it did the trick: now there's no more pee smell after I air dried it for over a week. The problem is, if I decide to reuse the filling, I'll need a new cover.
I did this as an experiment because the cushion was rather hopeless anyway.
As far as the pee smell on the leather, I've not been successful in removing the smell yet; it still smells horrible. So far, the unsuccessful attempts include:
1: soaking it in pure vinegar: it destroyed the sheen
2: soaking it in nature's miracle: destroyed sheen as well
3: soaking it with WD 40: the pee smell was initially covered, but came back in a day.
Note that I cut out pieces from the stained leather to experiment. I'm open to other experiments too!

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register