Horrible  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

joe L
(@joe-l)
Eminent Member
15/04/2013 7:16 am  

Nice! Just a one off, or for...
Nice! Just a one off, or for sale really?
Nah, UD looks way nicer, but I've been in the cycling industry for years now, so I have seen weave plenty...

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
15/04/2013 8:24 am  

Imagining unidirectional
resin cloth (I haven't seen it), I see it as more problematic for a form like the armshell than a bi-directional weave. Why ? For the same reason that you wouldn't try to upholster a shell chair with striped fabric -- because all kinds of issues arise at the seams, where the collision of rows of stripes calls attention to the seams, defeating the plasticity of the form. If the fabric is forced into a seamless configuration (is that even possible ?) then parts of the striped pattern will be squashed together and others stretched. Maybe that's not a bad alternative to the clashing-at-the-seams version ?

ReplyQuote
fastfwd
(@fastfwd)
Illustrious Member
15/04/2013 12:32 pm  

SDR
Because CF is only strong in one direction, and because its strength and stiffness are inversely proportional, structures like bicycle frames are built by layering different grades of CF in various orientations, with the details of the layup dependent on the stresses expected to act on it in use. As you predicted, the "seams" in those structures are very visible... But people LIKE to see that; there's a certain honesty to it that would be lost if it were, for instance, covered with a cosmetic top coat of uniform finely-woven fiber.
For something like a chair, woven carbon fiber (or even unidirectional fiber in the wrong orientation) would be plenty strong enough, so cosmetic considerations would dictate the layup. If a seamless unidirectional look were desired, I suspect that it could be achieved without too much trouble.

ReplyQuote
fastfwd
(@fastfwd)
Illustrious Member
15/04/2013 12:35 pm  

Joe L
Not a one-off. Not intentionally, anyway.
Garageworks Industries was offering them for sale a few years ago, for $1700 or so, and might still be.

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
15/04/2013 9:50 pm  

Thanks, ff
I've gotten as far as seeing video of CF being laid up (self-sticking panels or patches ?) prior to being "baked." Neato.
I used to enjoy "How It's Made" segments on TV. Not currently available, as far as I know. (I currently get more than a dozen channels on broadcast -- quite nice HD on some of them. Never had to buy cable, living in sight of the Sutro broadcast tower or on the side of Mt Tam . . .)
I think I'd prefer a lower-gloss finish on that shell rocker. Still, it's a pretty nice update (?) of the design. I decry the use of CF as a decorative finish, however -- the new version of "burled walnut" dashboards, etc ? At least this chair -- albeit far stronger than it need be -- makes honest use of the material.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register