Design Addict

Cart

Have you found anyt...

Have you found anything good in a Salvation Army/Goodwill shop LATELY?  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

objectworship
(@objectworship)
Illustrious Member
12/12/2014 9:58 pm  

Awesomely, I just went to Goodwill after lunch and got a sweet framed sillk-screened Steven Frykholm poster.
Yay!

(If you must know, it was tagged at $24.99 which was reduced to $19.99 with the 20% discount coupon you get when you donate something.)
image of poster stolen from ebay (thank you)

every once in a while...

ReplyQuote
karin koller webb
(@relaxdungenessbay-com)
Prominent Member
13/12/2014 3:29 am  

Such a great post!!  I live on the Olympic peninsula of western Washington and I have really furnished our home almost exclusively via Goodwill compliments of all the retired folks here in our hamlet, Sequim...  Yes, I too have traveled, and of course pay attention to the goods that show up.  My forays here include stops in town about three times a week and then we venture out to two Goodwill stores that are 60 miles away once a week.  It's our chance to get out of 'Dodge' and also get some awesome Thai food.  I still continue to find amazing items, when I least expect it.  Clearly, it ain't what it use to be....but guess what ?, the world is changing as we speak.  I sell on eBay as a hobby because I'm a retired photo stylist and a curator at heart.  I'm o.k. with the possibilities of finding a new hobby....  I'm just saying.....

ReplyQuote
Cloudburst2000
(@cloudburst2000)
Famed Member
13/12/2014 2:04 pm  

I would have no problem with Goodwill selling their 'good' stuff on ebay or at auction.  They are supposed to be making money for charity.  They can make more by selling certain items at venues other then their stores.  Now, I would have a problem with employees knowingly hoarding the better pieces for themselves or having deals with local dealers to grease their own pockets (not actual Goodwill).  I don't have an issue as long as the money is going where it is supposed to be going.

ReplyQuote
jermy
(@jermy)
Eminent Member
13/12/2014 11:39 pm  

One thing I do like about living in the Southeast, not terribly close to any major cities, is that you can score goods at goodwill from time to time...though it is rare. This year I have scored
one vintage floor lamp with square, printed fabric shade and thin chrome body. 
2 yellow enamel braising pots
a vintage double gooseneck lamp
vintage pyrex all over the place
one lane end table
several canvases for me to paint over...
on that note - you can see many of said painted over canvases at www.jeremymitchellpelt.com (not to derail)

ReplyQuote
usd274
(@usd274)
Eminent Member
15/12/2014 8:03 pm  

Great thread. I've hit thrifts pretty hard the past few years and it echoes what we've heard here. I've become quite bitter lately as time goes on. But I've started to shift my thinking in terms of strategy and outlook. I've come to accept that a Saarinen tulip table or Wegner chair isn't going to be sitting out there with a 29.99 tag on it.
They want to make money more than ever now. I don't even consider Devilwill to be a thrift anymore. When I was little, G-Will always seemed to be a place for those extremely in need to find extremely affordable stuff. My mom would bring us to find clothes for 1.00. The tag didn't matter. It was a shirt and and a used one at that. Nowadays if it's a nicer brand, it's priced as such. When I see items over $50.00 that were donated for free, I know their mission isn't helping the single mother with two kids. 
I've been on the hunt for those smaller home accessories or pieces of furniture that seem to slip through the cracks. I've picked up a few Colombo Boby Trolleys and Kartell Componibili units for next to nothing. Plastic pieces are great to keep an eye out for. Otherwise it's housewares. Focus on what you like and scour like crazy. Some of my finds include Braun, Arabia Finland, Heath and other pottery, Lightolier Lytegem lamp, Kartell wastebaskets, Hellerware, All-Clad pans,etc.
Artwork and books are great to focus on. Maybe not canvases but there's always a print or great litho to be had. I've enjoyed looking for more vintage exhibition posters, screenprints etc.
I think it's best to get away and find those smaller thrifts/junk shops that may not realize what they have or really just don't care. Those will probably give you your next best find.

ReplyQuote
_
 _
(@deleted)
Illustrious Member
15/12/2014 8:38 pm  

I prefer when most of these place don't feel like they had been sterilized.  I like the good old grungy rummage places where the stuff don't get edited before the inventory goes to the sales floor. 
The last time I was in one of these places, their so called "expert" dismissed four unmarked grungy innocous plain looking windsor chairs which turned out to be early examples of the Nakashima straight back chairs for Knoll from 1946 all four for $14.00.
Also if a discount retailer like Marshalls can sell me a brand new Dyson in a box unused with all the accessory and warranty on clearance for $99.00 (still $399 at the big box stores) and make a profit, how could these thrift stores ask the same price for a used beat up uncleaned Dyson model?  I am very sure Marshalls did not get their inventory for free. 
I did find a 1960's two seater leather sofa by Niels Bendtsen for Eilersen (Denmark) with no rips or damage from one of the goodwill outlets for $9.99.  The staff said it is in terrible condition. I guess aging/distressing or slight fading on a 50 year old leather are considered flaws.

ReplyQuote
niceguy
(@112952msn-com)
Illustrious Member
17/12/2014 4:02 am  

Goodwill items 01-13 through 12-13
1. Hydman-Vallien, Ulrica Flower Power for Kosta Boda 
2. Lalique Carnardes box
3. Maier-Aichen, Hansjerg Wave magazine holder for Authentics
4. Lovegrove, Ross Agaricon table lamp for Luceplan
5. Stumpf, Bill and Kelley, Jack Ethospace® cabinet system for Herman Miller (3)
6. Zegers, Peter DZ 190 exterior lamp for Artemide (2)
7. Graves, Michael tea kettle for Alessi B 9093
8. Nip, Jason Triple Play 3 In 1 Game Set for Umbra
9. Tiffany & Company Tiffany Garden box for GDA Limoges
10. Asti, Sergio ice bucket for Heller® (2)
11. Jacobs, Carol Owl sugar dispenser for PO Selected
12. Winfisky, Jonathan Rock Bottle Series - Sculptural Bottle Forms 2 of 127 signed limited edition bottle 
13. Arabia Design inlaid wood ice bucket
14. Quistgaard, Jens Flamestone 4-quart casserole for Dansk Designs IHQ
15. Quistgaard, Jens Flamestone Beehive 2-quart casserole on warmer stand for Dansk Designs IHQ
16. Lubs, Dietrich wall clock ABK 30 for Braun 4861
17. Herend - OVHB4 hand painted first edition coverd box
18. Lalique Royal Palm bud vase 1245800
19. Orvola, Heikki Kivi cobalt blue votive for Iittala-Marimekko

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register