Cart

Harry Bertoia Diamo...

Harry Bertoia Diamond Chair Knoll Jig  

RSS

TinyArmada
(@tinyarmada)
Famed Member
15/04/2015 7:02 am  

I thought this would make an interesting post for general discussion with no other purpose than being interesting.Here is a photo of the first jig that was produced that made the frames of the famous diamond chair from Knoll, designed by Harry Bertoia. This of course was made prior to the large scale equipment that later followed.Even after 60 years, the wheel still rotates with flawless motion and I have had fun putting in wire and seeing how the frame is produced. The fact it is on a wheel gives it almost a sculptural like appearance also. It an interesting piece of design history and we had the chance to talk with Richard Schultz who was one of the team of three that organized and worked out how to produce the diamond chair (Bob Savage and Harry Bertoia were the other two).    

Bilbo
(@bilbo)
01/05/2016 9:24 pm  

Very very interesting find! I've seen sketches that Harry made of just this fixture: the small diamond chair rim bender.
BTW, as Dick Schultz will gladly confirm, there were three people assigned to work with Harry to get the collection into production: Dick Schultz came in 51 and was joined by Don Pettit and Bob Savage in '52.
Good find!

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register