Grossman or Tony Paul attribution  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

alexandersforum
(@alexandersforum)
Illustrious Member
07/11/2007 2:10 pm  

Hey all,

I'm hoping that someone here might be able to shed some light on the attribution of these tables. I have seen them being attributed to Greta Magnusson Grossman for 'Glenn of California', but have since been told by a reliable source that they are definitely not by her.

The seller claims that he has seen these tables in a 50's book or magazine, as made by 'Glenn of California'. Unfortunately he can't find the magazine at this moment.

The tables look great, but I would like to know who designed them. They are very much in the style of what Grossman did for GOC, but also reminds me of Tony Paul's designs.

Anyone? Donsof maybe?

alexandersforum
(@alexandersforum)
Illustrious Member
08/11/2007 12:01 am  

anyone?
anyone?

ReplyQuote
alexandersforum
(@alexandersforum)
Illustrious Member
09/11/2007 3:05 pm  

Ok, I'll try to keep this thread alive for a while longer...
I would be very interested in getting in touch with anyone that have any old sales material, catalogues, brochures, leaf-lets or anything else from 'Glenn of California'...

ReplyQuote
donsof
(@donsof)
Prominent Member
09/11/2007 8:34 pm  

Very hip, but I can't say...
Very hip, but I can't say for sure who the designer is. Looks more like Tony Paul than anyone. Maybe Lori would ask grandpa?

ReplyQuote
alexandersforum
(@alexandersforum)
Illustrious Member
09/11/2007 9:27 pm  

Hi Donsof,
Yes I wrote her...
Hi Donsof,
Yes I wrote her, but no reply so far...
I like them a lot, but they are not cheap. If they are by TP, I think the price, $1500, is much too high... Then it should be more like $250-400...

ReplyQuote
finelines
(@finelines)
Eminent Member
20/11/2007 8:10 am  

Woodlin-Hall
The tables are TP for Woodlin-Hall distributed by Richards Morgenthau (Raymor). Each table usually is in the $250-300 range.

ReplyQuote
alexandersforum
(@alexandersforum)
Illustrious Member
20/11/2007 11:38 am  

Thanks finelines!
How sure...
Thanks finelines!
How sure are you about this? Do you have a book, magazine or a catalog for example? If so, would you mind sharing a picture of it?
I've had many unclear attributions to Tony Paul so far from various people I have been in contact with, but none to Grossman.

ReplyQuote
finelines
(@finelines)
Eminent Member
20/11/2007 6:48 pm  

Ann Kerr's Book
On page 5 of Ann Kerr's book, COLLECTOR'S ENCYCLOPEDIA OF RUSSEL WRIGHT, there is a promotional add for Morgenthau/Raymor featuring assorted designers, a product, and the product's maker. The birch ball ended occasional table with the round birch top and wrought iron legs is shown attributed to TP and Woodlin-Hall. I have those tables ( without the detatchable metal leg tray in case anyone has extras), the coat rack, the two tiered utility table, the portable bar, and have seen the rectangle tables you are interested in while I was in Palm Springs. I have no question that they are Tony Paul by their construction, weight of materials and design features. I have not found the rectangle tables with the 'original' finish on them yet - they are usually sanded down to within an inch of their lives. In all fairness, I am sure they got used very heavily in their life time. I seem to remember a square version being available as well. It appears that owners did not appreciate the ball feet and some have been painted black to match the wrought iron. Luckily the finish is so strong on the ball feet that the black paint just cakes and comes off easily with a razor blade leaving much of the original finish on the feet.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@silly_loriyahoo-com)
28/11/2007 4:05 am  

Everyone
I have a copy of those tables printed out and ready to show TP ... I can't ask him too much lately.
Finelines, what edition of that book do you have? So I can pick it up, please??
Guys, bear with me, all this stuff is new to me ... maybe you can help me along with some of it ... I'm learning as I go
Lori
Go to the blog .. we're posting more and more!
www.tonypauldesigns.com

ReplyQuote
alexandersforum
(@alexandersforum)
Illustrious Member
28/11/2007 1:36 pm  

Thanks Lori. It would be...
Thanks Lori. It would be great to get an answer to who designed these tables, especially from the designer himself who the tables get attributed to most often...
I understand that you can't ask Tony about his designs all the time, but I really appreciate your efforts. The blog is great.
With the re-design of the blog though, the layout doesn't adapt to my screen size for some reason. I have a 12' laptop and I can only read half of the column on the left... I don't know much about creating webpages, but the last version worked better somehow...

ReplyQuote
finelines
(@finelines)
Eminent Member
29/11/2007 7:35 am  

It is....
It is the 2nd edition Ann Kerr book from 1998 page 5

ReplyQuote
finelines
(@finelines)
Eminent Member
07/12/2007 7:26 am  

Greta Grossman
I wonder if these Greta Grossman tables for Glenn of California are the tables the person you were dealing with remembered seeing in a book or somewhere. They are also pictured in 'COLLECTORS COMPASS: '50'S DECOR' from Martindale & Company 2000 on page 54. These regularly get confused for the Tony Paul tables you pictured. Google - Greta Grossman Two Tiered Table if the link doesn't work.
http://www.1std.bs.com/furniture-item-detail.php?=94315

ReplyQuote
alexandersforum
(@alexandersforum)
Illustrious Member
07/12/2007 10:08 am  

Yes maybe, but I would...
Yes maybe, but I would expect him to know of these two-tiered tables from before.
The best would of course be to hear from Tony Paul and Lori, to get this confirmed. I don't think they are by Grossman anymore. Far too many people have told me they are not (also auction houses, collectors and dealers I have been in contact with). But until I find a name or a picture, my curiosity will keep me looking for a confirmation.

ReplyQuote
Baron
(@baron)
06/01/2008 2:56 am  

Greta Grossman?
Just came across your inquiry. While I am not familiar with Tony Paul or his work, I can tell you with about 99%+ certainty that those tables were not designed by Greta and with 100% assurance they were not made by Glenn of California. That leaves Tony Paul?

ReplyQuote
alexandersforum
(@alexandersforum)
Illustrious Member
06/01/2008 4:13 am  

Baron, many thanks for...
Baron, many thanks for noticing my old post.
Lori (Tony Paul's grand daughter) wrote me last week and Tony actually says that the tables are not by him.
I've asked around about these tables and everyone, from Museum curators and historians to private collectors and dealers all say the same; -The tables are not by Grossman. I've had maybe 10-15 answers and everybody says the same, except for the seller himself that is... A few of them have suggested that they might be by Tony Paul, but I'm now sure that they are not.
There must have been a lot of designs similar to this at the time and I'm now more and more sure that these tables are by a more unknown artist. Still very nice tables though, in my opinion...
I backed out of the deal, since the seller refused to discuss the price despite having wrongly attributed the tables to Grossman. The tables are still attributed to Grossman and GOC on his website and he also describes a chair which was manufactured by Chemold as designed by Grossman for Glenn of California. It is a little disappointing, because the seller has some really nice stuff for sale and this story makes me very reluctant to deal with him in the future unless I'm very sure of what I'm buying.
'Baron', -any chance your alias has any connection with the Robert Baron who designed for Glenn of California?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register