Design Addict

Cart

Fehlbaum-Production...

Fehlbaum-Production: authentic Eames DCM chair?  

RSS

DJV
 DJV
(@djv)
Eminent Member
05/11/2013 5:20 pm  

Dear all,
I am an Eames-design-lover and looking for 2-4 vintage full-original, true-authentic Eames DCM chairs, preferably produced by HermanMiller.
I've been offered to purchase 4 black DCM chairs which are offered via the Dutch eBay (Marktplaats). The seller claims these chairs are authentic, but the label says: Fehlbaum production. Questions:
1. Are these real and true-authentic DCM chairs?
2. Are these equal to HermanMiller productions?
3. Are these made of Birch veneer?
4. Aren't these chairs Vitra?
5. Would you recommend to buy or not to buy?
Thanks all!
Regards,
DV
PS. I hope I succeed to attach three pics of the chairs offered. Otherwise, the direct link to the webpage (can the webmaster help to attach the pics?)

Joink
(@joink)
Eminent Member
08/11/2013 12:21 pm  

Look further...
Here some answers to your questions:
1. Are these real and true-authentic DCM chairs?
Yes they are!
Fehlbaum (Vitra International) was a licensed partner of Herman Miller for the European market during 1957 to 1984. Since 1984 Vitra is the only legitimate producer of Eames (and Nelson) furtinure in Europe.
2. Are these equal to HermanMiller productions?
Yes, but note that these chairs (production series) have a smooth finish. So no wood texture like other series from Herman Miller or Vitra. Personally I would always choose a DCM / LCM chair with a distinctive wood grain. It has much more character.
3. Are these made of Birch veneer?
No very likely of ash wood that has been stained black. This because ash is great wood for bending (plywood).
4. Aren't these chairs Vitra?
Yes more or less, Fehlbaum is now known as Vitra.
5. Would you recommend to buy or not to buy?
As mentioned in section 2, I would always choose a different production series with the distinctive wood grain in black.
Hope this help.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register