Design Addict

Cart

Expert opinions ple...

Expert opinions please  

RSS

phoduct
(@phoduct)
14/09/2012 5:38 pm  

Hello all - I have been googling and reading past threads of this forum for the last couple of days intensively but am no further forward. I'm trying to identify a sideboard but it is proving very difficult and I have not been able to find anything like it throughout google images and other online resources, so time to ask the experts...sorry to make my first post a request for ID, however at least my quest for this has led me to find this forum in the first place!
I'll try to put up some pictures in a mo of the item and what I think might be helpful in identifying it's source.
No makers mark, the only things I can find after close scrutiny are what "might" be an ink stamp inside one of the cupboards but might just have been a leaky biro. Also on the back is a small pencil mark of a C in a circle, just like the copyright motif, this is underneath the lacquer on the back, so might be contemporary.
Other than those two marks, really the clues I think might be obviously the design but also in the detail - hinges, joints, carcase construction, little double magnetic catches.
It is great quality, extraordinarily heavy and certainly would not have been run of the mill furniture when it was produced.
Look forward to your opinions and apologies for the poor phone camera pictures, Tom
PS - cant seem to link to more than 3 images but in my flickr photostream, there are a few more of details from the same
PPS - can't work out how to make images appear in the thread, sorry but the link takes you to my flickr photostream where all the images of this sideboard are..
http://www.flickr.com/photos/42303716@N06/

Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
14/09/2012 6:07 pm  

pics

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
14/09/2012 6:13 pm  

hinges & something else

ReplyQuote
phoduct
(@phoduct)
14/09/2012 6:33 pm  

thanks spanky
thankyou for making my pictures work Spanky, couldn't fathom that out myself.
The something else in the pictures, two square little recessed magnets in the carcass that keep the doors pulled shut. I'm sure they are not a common fixture and might help identify this sideboard, or is it a high board??

ReplyQuote
artsnot
(@artsnot)
Prominent Member
14/09/2012 6:45 pm  

Ole Gjerlov Knudsen and Torben Lind?
The joinery and leg details look very much like those used on the tables and chairs of the Moduline series by Ole Gjerlov Knudsen and Torben Lind for France and Sons. It's got that very clean, linear style.

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
14/09/2012 9:03 pm  

swallow--
I got the pic links by way of this:
In the upper-rightish area of the page with your Flickr photos, you will see this:
⟵newer + older⟶
Click on the + symbol. That takes you to a photo on a black background. In the upper right corner of the screen, you will see this:
☐☐□ View All Sizes
Click on that and you'll see a range of sizes listed, plus the photo below. Click on the one that is 500 pixels wide (because that's the biggest that fits on this board without having to scroll across to see it).
When it pops up, RIGHT CLICK on it and click on "copy image location" from the pop-up menu.
Go back to this board and do a Ctrl-V in one of the "associated web images (optional)" fields.
Et voilà!
There's probably an easier way to do it from Flickr but I don't know what that is.

ReplyQuote
phoduct
(@phoduct)
14/09/2012 9:45 pm  

cheers
thanks for that, was starting to feel a bit old then!

ReplyQuote
phoduct
(@phoduct)
16/09/2012 12:17 pm  

no further forward
Well, I'm no further forward on this, even in confirming a country of origin. I've done so many searches/trawls on google images with all sorts of search terms and not found a single thing that shares the exact style or traits of this.
The strongest pointer of origin I feel is the blue stamp inside - I've studied this long and hard and am pretty certain that it is a deliberate stamp and not a stain from a leaky biro. Its just a shame that over time it has become illegible.
Does anyone know of any makers/retailers/designers stamps that took the form of a rectangular dark blue ink stamp?
Also does anyone recognise the double square magnet type of door catch, used elsewhere?
thanks for help!

ReplyQuote
phoduct
(@phoduct)
16/09/2012 12:38 pm  

also
also, when looking at images of mid century sideboards that could be described as similar (ie slab fronted, modernist, rosewood,60's-70's) none that I can find have the same leg arrangment as this.
Most have their legs set inwards ie cantilevered and some have the legs set at the four corners of the piece but this has the legs set almost outside the sides - not sure if that description or my photos make that apparent?
The legs are the outermost points of this sideboard and infact the sides of the sideboard are recessed inwards by a couple of inches.

ReplyQuote
Joger (NL)
(@joger-nl)
Eminent Member
16/09/2012 2:27 pm  

H.W. Klein for Bramin?
H.W. Klein for Bramin?

ReplyQuote
phoduct
(@phoduct)
16/09/2012 10:59 pm  

H.W. Klein for Bramin?
Is that the exposed joinery at the corners that guggests Klein? Looked at a lot of Klein/Bramin and the detail is different - horizontal and usually curved whereas on this it is vertical and angular.
I'm quite amazed that whoever made this, which certainly would have taken a great deal of skill, care and time, not to mention cost in material, wouldn't have taken the time to leave a lasting mark of makership.
the more I look at it the more confused I get...

ReplyQuote
foxxxy
(@foxxxy)
Famed Member
17/09/2012 12:01 am  

Maybe it was a one-off...
Maybe it was a one-off custom piece made by a local cabinet maker?

ReplyQuote
phoduct
(@phoduct)
17/09/2012 12:00 pm  

quite possibly
Thats what I am starting to think. Initially when I got this sideboard, I immediately thought Danish Modern but I am now starting to doubt that. I don't know anywhere near enough about this kind of furniture to make a call on that though.
I was really hoping that someone would recognise the detailing such as the higes, which are quite unusual, or the inset double square magnets for door catching, which again I would not have thought were an "off the shelf" item.
I might have to try and track down the previous owners, which might be possible.
A positive of this quandry is that the more time I spend staring at the thing, the more I like it...
Still hoping for a positive id though, hopefully someone will come along.
Thanks for all input so far

ReplyQuote
phoduct
(@phoduct)
19/09/2012 6:49 pm  

ringmarks
Whilst the images are up - the damage to the top surface - looks like ring marks either from hot things or maybe plant pots. I was hoping to sort this out but could do with some advice on the process. Should I sand the whole top down with ever finer paper and then, what should I treat it with?
Advice on what to do and not to do would be appreciated before I start..

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register