Design Addict

Cart

Eileen Gray armchai...

Eileen Gray armchairs? I've never seen them before!  

RSS

Reamie
(@reamie)
Illustrious Member
08/09/2015 3:50 pm  

Hi these are being advertised as Eileen Gray armchairs, but I've never seen them before. Are the wrongly attributed?

Peruche
(@peruche)
Prominent Member
08/09/2015 4:25 pm  

Reamie,
I would have to agree with you that these chairs you have found are in the "Style" of Eileen Gray and not original. If you want to be 100% certain there is a Eillen Gray design book available online.
Eileen Gray
Architect + Furniture Designer (1878-1976)
Design Museum Collection

ReplyQuote
Patricia
(@patricia)
Trusted Member
08/09/2015 9:05 pm  

Hi Reamie,
Here are the details for these chairs:
OMK Design Ltd
Date 1978
Easy chair (model T2)

ReplyQuote
Reamie
(@reamie)
Illustrious Member
08/09/2015 9:41 pm  

Thanks for the Eileen Gray book Peruche, interesting reading! Patricia how did you know that? Amazing! I'm trying to decide if they're worth buying, any ideas what would be a good buy?

ReplyQuote
Patricia
(@patricia)
Trusted Member
09/09/2015 3:34 pm  

You're welcome!
To answer your two questions, I am going to quote two other members of this forum from very recent threads:
1: It helps when "anyone seeking good design knows about the subject very well being able to identify almost anything just by looking at an item, a bad picture or a badly written post/ad" - Minimoma, "Rejected Modern".
To those without a photographic memory, this takes years of research.
2: "If you want to track the market value of a particular item, you have to look at what it sold for at a variety of venues over time (and probably throw out the extreme high end and low end prices, including fluke auction results) and average it out. And in the end, if it's something you're looking to buy for yourself, you still have to decide what you're willing to pay for it and how long you're willing to wait to get it at that price" Spanky "Erik Buck, Modell OD61 - Same products, Different prices".

ReplyQuote
Reamie
(@reamie)
Illustrious Member
09/09/2015 3:47 pm  

Thanks Patricia! It astounds me the level of knowledge on this site, I know I'm new(ish) to this but I don't know if I'll ever have even a tenth of the info some people have here! I'm learning to recognise the lines a bit better, but I'm often left with the idea that I've seen something before but I can't quite puty finger on it! I did try and find some info on these chairs re cost but there's very little out there. I want two for myself, the rest would be surplus and the seller wants them all gone in one lot. I may just have to take the risk! Thanks again!

ReplyQuote
Reamie
(@reamie)
Illustrious Member
11/09/2015 2:17 am  

So I managed to get a pair! They're in great condition, under each seat cushion T2 is scrawled in chalk. Here's some more pics for anyone who's interested!

ReplyQuote
waffle
(@waffle)
Illustrious Member
11/09/2015 3:58 am  

like em...alot. Good pick up

ReplyQuote
Peruche
(@peruche)
Prominent Member
11/09/2015 5:03 am  

Awesome chairs Reamie... Looks like they will flow with any decor.... I have a bit of a chair addiction, so fortunately, I only have so much room to coexist with them....
Peruche

ReplyQuote
Reamie
(@reamie)
Illustrious Member
11/09/2015 11:19 am  

Thanks Patricia, your info gave me the confidence to go ahead! Peruche I suffer from the same addiction, I survive this by buying copious amounts of chairs and storing them until I decide I want to swap my seating arrangements or until I have that dreamed of bigger place! I have yet to resist a chair due to space, it's something I need to start!

ReplyQuote
Reamie
(@reamie)
Illustrious Member
11/09/2015 1:02 pm  

Thanks Waffle, I love them!

ReplyQuote
MidCenturyQuirky
(@midcenturyquirky)
21/09/2015 11:37 pm  

I sold a sofa for £250 and took me 6 months!

ReplyQuote
Reamie
(@reamie)
Illustrious Member
22/09/2015 12:18 am  

Ooooh a sofa? I would like that.....luckily I didn't even pay that for both chairs and they're for me so I'm happy enough! I feel like they're living history, actually I feel like that about almost every piece I buy..........!

ReplyQuote
MidCenturyQuirky
(@midcenturyquirky)
22/09/2015 12:38 am  

they are very nice.....and getting harder to find

ReplyQuote
Reamie
(@reamie)
Illustrious Member
22/09/2015 12:44 am  

I'd never seen them before but after Patricia ID'd them for me I had to have them....in fairness I had to have them before that....! I have a problem......

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register