Eames shell Armchairs (DAX)  

Page 2 / 4
  RSS

kin1117
(@kin1117)
Famed Member
10/03/2014 10:34 pm  

As teakhound pointed out sepa...
As teakhound pointed out separately, it looks like that base has never been removed from the shell, so I think woody and eameshead's assessment makes a lot of sense. I've sent an email to an expert on all Eames designs and will keep you posted once I hear back.

ReplyQuote
Joshua F (USA)
(@joshua-f-usa)
Prominent Member
11/03/2014 12:07 am  

I have one with the same...
I have one with the same configuration. The timeframe for the change from the 1st generation screw on domes to the boot glides was only a couple years, so it seems logical there was factory marriages going on.
Those screws are early too, and look pretty untouched. I have seen stranger combos than this. Nice find!

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
11/03/2014 2:12 am  

"doll clothes or fishing lures"?
I like that.
Aunt Markrusty

ReplyQuote
Eameshead
(@eameshead)
Illustrious Member
11/03/2014 3:56 am  

aunt markrusty?
payback for "shell head"...
kin's eames lounge love is almost
kinesthetic? ha
Kin and Joshua F- I may even have a shell and base combo like that myself. Why didn't I think of that? Lazy brain I guess.
Hey, does anyone have any info on those white lozenge shapes under the checkerboard labels on kins chairs? I might have one of those somewhere too... I have to get more organized.

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
11/03/2014 4:35 am  

..... ....... ......
dome of silence glides
noisily educating
firmly planted chair
Aunt Mark

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
11/03/2014 4:49 am  

ps,
I kind of like the name Aunt Krusty. Nothing rhymes with it. But I'm blazed.
Aunt ?

ReplyQuote
Eameshead
(@eameshead)
Illustrious Member
12/03/2014 6:06 pm  

Dont burn the Krust
Aunt Krusty, you're just
getting rusty. It does rhyme.
yeah you were just blazed
Kin's find is making me want to rotate back into my pair of grey shells... Currently, I have the pair of early dowel legged wire chairs on view. But the dark grey Venice red label shell and rope edge Zenith shell are waiting to return. They make a great pair.
I predict kin will become hopelessly addicted to the shells. After he becomes totally mesmerized by the beautiful fibers in the elephant grey shells, he will soon be posting other purchases here. After all, he still needs the other two original colors.... heh

ReplyQuote
kin1117
(@kin1117)
Famed Member
12/03/2014 11:35 pm  

Dear Shell Head, I hope your...
Dear Shell Head, I hope your predictions are wrong because space is already scarce with the few pieces I already have. Maybe my next goal should be to save up for another house just so I can expand my addiction. Btw, what are the other 2 original colors???
Also would love to see some pix of your beautiful shell collection. Please show them off =)

ReplyQuote
Eameshead
(@eameshead)
Illustrious Member
13/03/2014 3:56 am  

as I understand it...
The first 3 original colors were parchment, elephant hide grey, and greige. Seafoam green, red, and some form of yellow (pale yellow?) were added shortly after that.
I don't think space will be a problem Kin... the shells are made to stack!

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
13/03/2014 5:14 am  

The 1951 order form showed the following: Elephant Hide Grey, Greige, Parchment, Lemon Yellow, Seafoam Green.

ReplyQuote
Eameshead
(@eameshead)
Illustrious Member
13/03/2014 6:04 am  

"The" 1951 order form?
...or were there other 1951 order forms?
The "six original colors" is the most common reference, so perhaps this means that red might have been the last of the first six colors.
I have seen reference to the "three earliest colors" on more than one occasion, but I have no context, just my notes.
I will adjust my list once again with this info, thanks woody
3 colors
5 colors (only?) (at least at some point in 1951)
6 colors (red) possibly added in 51 or later?)
I have an "as found" rope edge in red on its original zinc LAR base, and I THINK the base is the first version with early tabs, so if anybody can confirm when that base was introduced, it might help to date the red color introduction, . I have never been able to pin it down more than 51 isn.
But then, there is always the leftover stock theory....

ReplyQuote
Joshua F (USA)
(@joshua-f-usa)
Prominent Member
13/03/2014 8:56 am  

Do you mean
The double rounded tabs? I have one on a EG from 50'.
That must be nice to have an early red LAR. Swoon.

ReplyQuote
Eameshead
(@eameshead)
Illustrious Member
13/03/2014 3:05 pm  

Joshua F...
Yes, but all four of the tabs are rounded.
The red rope edge shell has a lot of fading, and some stress evidence on the upper back of the seat, but it all adds up to a really nice look if you like patina. (I do.) The badly faded red shells are among my favorites. I like the way some of them fade almost to a pinky "fleshy" color. And sometimes splotchy color is even better than smooth.
Do you know the start date on that rounded tabs LAR base? Is 1950 is a general date, or do you have something that nails the date of your grey chair very specifically? It only takes one solid reference sometimes. know there is a thread on rounded tab cats cradle bases or rocker bases back in the archives... But its 5 AM and Im too bleary eyed to start the hunt now, as the day awaits...
Thanks Joshua F
And Kin-- I once posted an outside shot here with about 7 seafoam green shells to show Lunchbox the color variations within the green. I cant remember the name of the thread, but I will try and hunt it down.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
13/03/2014 5:03 pm  

EH
The 1951 order form used to be on the Eames Office site. I will try to scan it.
I would love to see your red/orange rope-edge shell. Don't think I have seen that before (or even a non-rope-edge with large shock mounts, for that matter).

ReplyQuote
Eameshead
(@eameshead)
Illustrious Member
13/03/2014 10:36 pm  

woody
You gotta be pulling my leg!
if you go on ebay right now and type in "herman miller zenith" you will get at least 3 examples of large-mount red (or "salmon" color from fading) shells. One has a venice label. (All are listed by that guy that never sells anything.)
Are we talking about the same thing? The red shells that fade to salmon color? Woody, I remember once long ago, you even corrected me when I referred to the color as "Salmon". I learned that the official color was called RED from you!l
Not sure if there are currently any rope edged ones on ebay at the moment, but I myself have two rope edged red/salmon shells with large mounts and zenith labels, and a 3-dot no label "third generation" one with large mounts also. (That one is actually more rare than the red rope shells in my opinion.)
Im surprised, because the rope edged red (or red faded to salmon) are not at all that rare. Unless we are talking about two different thing?
Anyway, just check out the ebay listings, or just google "eames red rope edge" or eames red Zenith shell" and i am sure you will see a ton of them.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register