Cart

Eames Labels  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

MidCentBoy
(@midcentboy)
Trusted Member
19/01/2006 2:40 am  

Hello, Does anyone know the transition of the Eames/Herman Miller Labels. I know that the Zenith Paper label was used (large shocks) Then the Transitional Shells came about (no labels? small or large shocks?) Then the Zenith/Herman Miller Paper Labels Then the Herman Miller Paper Label Then the Herman Miller Embossed Label Questions: Are transitional shells able to have large or small shocks or all they always large? Also when did the disk(medallion) label come into play? Where these ever used on transitional shells? Thanks in advance.

modernisbetter
(@modernisbetter)
Prominent Member
19/01/2006 5:15 am  

labels.
Yes. To start, no labels... prototypes and prepro peices had nothing or work guiding letters and numbers, then the Zenith transfer (plastic sticker not paper) label. The transitional chairs had large shockmounts to start. Some chairs had the rope edge, some did not. Some had the zenith label without the rope edge. As they were "transitional" they could have had a variety of traits. After the zenith label was the venice label. A small rectangular red label. I think it mentions made in venice california...eames.. bla bla.. I will have to look at one of my chairs if you want the exact wording. these chairs again I have seen with and without the large puck shockmounts. again, being transitional the chairs with the large mounts and rope edges were phased out and if there was stock left or found later they would have utilized the materials available to that point in the manufacturing process. You will often see the venice label on the earliest side shells. Not as many on the armshells for some reason. The paper label with the patents came in later around the mid to late fifties as well as the medallion. The metal medallion was used a lot on institutional applications from what I have seen and come across. The stamped HM or stylized "h" logo was utilized in the 60's on. Hope this helps..

ReplyQuote
MidCentBoy
(@midcentboy)
Trusted Member
19/01/2006 7:11 am  

Thanks, so...
it is possible for a shell, especially one in lemon yellow that is translucent with small shockmounts an and no label to be transitional?

ReplyQuote
modernisbetter
(@modernisbetter)
Prominent Member
19/01/2006 4:17 pm  

probably not.
yelow is nice...
probably not.
yelow is nice though.

ReplyQuote
MidCentBoy
(@midcentboy)
Trusted Member
19/01/2006 6:56 pm  

Thank you again..
Thanks again. The yellow is very pale and very transparent but it is the smaller schocks that rule out transitional correct? So at one time it more than likely had the Herman Miller Patent Paper label that fell off/was removed. Are these your thoughts?

ReplyQuote
modernisbetter
(@modernisbetter)
Prominent Member
20/01/2006 12:19 am  

yes.
yes

ReplyQuote
MidCentBoy
(@midcentboy)
Trusted Member
20/01/2006 8:50 am  

Thank you..
You have been a great help.

ReplyQuote
whitespike
(@whitespike)
Illustrious Member
13/12/2009 6:31 am  

Are you saying red labels are...
Are you saying red labels are the earliest Herman Miller label, after the transition from Zenith?
Just found a red label arm shell rocker and a red label arm shell on eiffel.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
13/12/2009 6:34 am  

Medallion
Was first used in the mid-to-late 50s, I believe.

ReplyQuote
whitespike
(@whitespike)
Illustrious Member
15/12/2009 8:37 pm  

The red sticker on my shells...
The red sticker on my shells say "designed by charles eames. herman miller zeeland michigan. shipped from venice california."
They have the large mounts. No rope edge.
What factory was in California? Zenith?
So were these made by Zenith or Herman Miller or someone else?
And based on the large mounts, no rope, and red label what year(s) do you think they might be?

ReplyQuote
Modern Love
(@modern-love)
Illustrious Member
15/12/2009 9:06 pm  

"Shipped from Venice"
refers to 901 Washington Boulevard in Venice, California, otherwise known as the Eames Office (the original location from 1943-1988).

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
15/12/2009 9:12 pm  

California
Yes, Zenith was located in Gardena and produced the shells for Herman Miller. Eames Office was located in Venice. Rope edge was only made the first year (1949-50), but I suspect some leftovers may have lingered into subsequent years. Yours are probably early 1950s.

ReplyQuote
whitespike
(@whitespike)
Illustrious Member
15/12/2009 9:29 pm  

so my shells i am assuming...
so my shells i am assuming were made at zenith and shipped from the eames office?
excuse the mess!

ReplyQuote
Lunchbox
(@lunchbox)
Illustrious Member
16/12/2009 11:10 am  

No, dude...
Your chair was manufactured and shipped from the Eames Office in Venice, just after the earliest(Zenith) productions and just before Herman Miller took over the production process.
By my calculations, that would make it an early or more likely mid 50's production as Summit Plastics was well underway by the late 50's.

ReplyQuote
whitespike
(@whitespike)
Illustrious Member
16/12/2009 9:25 pm  

I didn't realize that anythin...
I didn't realize that anything was ever manufactured AT the Eames Office.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register