Design Addict

Cart

Dux armchairs? Mona...

Dux armchairs? Monarch Furniture Company, mystery history, or what.  

RSS

mgee76
(@mgee76)
Illustrious Member
23/07/2015 8:00 am  

I picked these chairs out of a neighbor's trash about a month ago. They were attractive, solid Walnut, and well put together. Washed the fabric and gave them a good cleaning up. A company tag to a local hospital was removed, but I left the original manufacturer's tag, Monarch Furniture Company out of High Point, NC. Tried to look up a company history, but didn't really find much.

The other day, a dealer in Minneapolis posted a nearly identical set for sale, made by Dux. I contacted the seller and we had a brief conversation about them. He sent me a couple pictures and a link to another listing, this one in Teak with a clear Dux logo burnt into the backside of the front stretcher. He surmised that Dux started selling furniture in the States at some point, possibly out of this Monarch company. Looking further on my own, I found a number of other similar chairs, as Dux, but none as Monarch. Searching Monarch yielded little, save for a couple isolated, interesting designs.

Anybody know what the story might be, or where I might dig further on it? I've considered renewing my Newspapers.com subscription, but I figured I'd ask first. I plan on selling them, but this twist has made me more curious and wanting to know more before I advertise something I'm not sure about. Any help or ideas would be appreciated, thanks.

Link t

mgee76
(@mgee76)
Illustrious Member
23/07/2015 8:12 am  

I see enough subtle differences to assume that this Monarch joint just made copies. The side stretchers seem higher on mine than in the marked Dux versions (pictured here), and the side of the seats are also different. Safe to say that these are just decent versions of the same design? Did Dux actually ever produce furniture here in the States?

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
23/07/2015 4:13 pm  

I don't think so....

ReplyQuote
mgee76
(@mgee76)
Illustrious Member
23/07/2015 9:51 pm  

After looking closer, I've concluded that this seller has mistaken a pair of the same chairs I have for a pair of Dux chairs. Just a decent knockoff.

ReplyQuote
TCS
 TCS
(@tcs)
01/02/2016 11:17 pm  

I just picked up two of these as well. I found the following in my investigations:
1. http://www.edwardwormley.com/seating/quinn-chair
2. http://www.nationalfurnituresupply.com/quinn-chair-7092-by-currey.html?g...

ReplyQuote
mgee76
(@mgee76)
Illustrious Member
04/02/2016 2:28 am  

That's... weird. Different than the the Monarch version's open seat sides. Huh.

ReplyQuote
mgee76
(@mgee76)
Illustrious Member
04/02/2016 2:30 am  

Nobody has ever really purchased one of these for $3,800+, though, right?

ReplyQuote
TCS
 TCS
(@tcs)
04/02/2016 2:38 am  

Correct. Im not sure if there are just multiple manufacturers or if over the years they altered the design (side supports, Seat detail, wood type etc.) Mine do not have any markings that would help identify.... Open to selling them as I have too many chairs as it is.

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
26/04/2016 6:35 pm  

Just happened across this. Ray Zimmerman designed a chair like this for Dux in walnut.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register