Design Addict

Cart

Does a Danish furni...

Does a Danish furniture designer "Poul or Paul Jensen" really exist?  

Page 2 / 3
  RSS

peteremsley-93
(@pemsleyq-com)
Reputable Member
19/05/2012 12:27 am  

Just curious - where would...
Just curious - where would you have bought Selig furniture back in 1959?
Sears, fancy department store, or ?

ReplyQuote
tchp
 tchp
(@tchp)
Illustrious Member
19/05/2012 12:42 am  

One of the ads above lists...
One of the ads above lists showrooms in several U.S. cities, but I am surprised that the ads do not make it more clear where the stuff can be purchased - other than to suggest sending them $1 for a catalog. I have always assumed that most of the stuff was purchased from local furniture retailers who carried the line or could order it.

ReplyQuote
peteremsley-93
(@pemsleyq-com)
Reputable Member
19/05/2012 1:06 am  

Yes, I see the cities listed...
Yes, I see the cities listed now that I look a bit more carefully. Interesting that Copenhagen is listed in two of the ads. I thought Selig was the US importer.

ReplyQuote
tchp
 tchp
(@tchp)
Illustrious Member
19/05/2012 1:32 am  

They seem to list Copenhagen...
They seem to list Copenhagen under their factory locations. They were definitely a U.S. based manufacturer, and had a number of U.S. factories making their upholstered furniture. I would be surprised if they actually owned the factory(s) in Denmark that made their import furniture, but I know nothing about who was making their furniture in Denmark, or what kind of relationship Selig had with them. I have seen Christensen & Larsen suggested as a maker (probably because this seems to be the manufacturer that Kofod Larsen dealt most closely with), along with Haslev. But nothing I have seen confirms any of that.

ReplyQuote
cdsilva
(@cdsilva)
Illustrious Member
19/05/2012 2:02 am  

A DA thread from last year...
A DA thread from last year had a UK poster verifying that the same guitar pick design table was marked CFC Silkeborg. There would not be a Selig medallion on it, as it was not imported for the US market.
However, I have not seen any previous relationship between Kofod-Larsen and CFC Silkeborg. Although I believe the second "C" is for Christensen, and they may have had some affiliation with Christensen & Larsen.
http://www.designaddict.com/design_addict/forums/index.cfm/fuseaction/th...

ReplyQuote
tchp
 tchp
(@tchp)
Illustrious Member
19/05/2012 3:36 am  

Something I just came across...
Something I just came across online is that Brdr. Petersens is producing chairs that Kofod Larsen did for OPE in the 1950's, including a sofa version of the Seal chair.
http://www.petersen-furniture.dk/produkter/saelen/?lang=en

ReplyQuote
tchp
 tchp
(@tchp)
Illustrious Member
19/05/2012 6:10 am  

In the Furniture Index, "CFC ...
In the Furniture Index, "CFC Silkeborg" and "C.F. Christensen" appear to be the same company, as cdsilva was saying. The magazine ad seen at the link below includes the "cfc" logo used on items that have the "cfc Silkeborg" mark on them, and the ad also says "C.F. Christensen". Also shown is a guitar pick style table, identified here as being by Johannes Andersen. I can't view the full size ad, since I am not a paying member of this site, so I don't know if it actually lists Johannes Andersen by name as the designer of this particular variant of guitar pick table or not (which appears to not have used rattan for the bottom shelf).
http://www.danish-modern.co.uk/?p=932

ReplyQuote
tchp
 tchp
(@tchp)
Illustrious Member
19/05/2012 11:36 am  

This similar design patent...
This similar design patent application for Kofod Larsen seems to highlight how odd it is that the one for Poul Jensen above includes the word "Mobelfabrika", as cdsilva pointed out, and makes it look like the "Poul Jensen" applicant is not an individual designer, but a manufacturer. This application was filed on the same date as the Poul Jensen one above, and the serial numbers are sequential.
This Kofod Larsen application just mentions Kofod Larsen's name, then his city of residence (Holte, which is the city listed as Larsen's address on many of his blueprints).

ReplyQuote
Mette Thorsbjerg
(@mette-thorsbjerg)
09/12/2013 6:45 pm  

Poul Thorsbjerg Jensen
Hi, I can hereby tell you that Poul Jensen, was my father.
He was a furniture architect and a he also run a furniturecompagni called Chr. Jensen Møbelfabrik A/S Haslev
It was started by my granfather.
I remember both Mandy Selig and Bob Wexler visiting my home every year. I specialy loved my "Uncle Mandy". He alesways send me Christmasgifts.
They often discussed the designs, prices. my father had prototypes ready from other Danish furniture architects.
Koefod Larsen, Kai Kristiansen and from my father.
Hope this will help you.
Otherwise you are welcome to contact me.
Mette Thorsbjerg Holst Born Jensen
Mail: mettetholst@gmail.com

ReplyQuote
Mette Thorsbjerg
(@mette-thorsbjerg)
09/12/2013 7:00 pm  

Yes he was my father.
Mette ...
Yes he was my father.
Mette Thorsbjerg Holst born Jensen

ReplyQuote
Mette Thorsbjerg
(@mette-thorsbjerg)
09/12/2013 7:09 pm  

Poul thorsbjerg Jensen was both a designer and a furnituremaker
Poul Thorsbjerg Jensen (my father) was both a furniture designer and a furnituremaker.
He run the compagny Chr. Jensens Møbelsnedkeri A/S in Haslev, he took over from my grandfather.
He had a very close relationship to Mandy Selig (my uncle Mandy, i just loved him) and with Bob Wexler.
They were often guests in my home.
They always discussed designs, prises and architects fx Kai Kristiansen, Ib Kofoed Larsen and of cause my fathers designs.
If I can be of further assistance
Please contact me.
Mette Thorsbjerg Holst, born Jensen
mail: mettetholst@gmail.com

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
09/12/2013 9:09 pm  

Mette: great to have first-ha...
Mette: great to have first-hand knowledge on this forum! Welcome!
I imagine many of us are curious what sorts of documents you or your family might have stored away on your father's designs and his company.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
09/12/2013 9:13 pm  

Mette
Thank you for posting and sharing the information. Yet another reason why this forum is an amazing resource!

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
09/12/2013 10:33 pm  

Following up on this. Here...
Following up on this. Here is another piece by Christian Jensen Møbelsnedkeri. And it is marked so we know what the company logo looked like.
I would find it fascinating to know if this is another Poul Jensen??
https://www.bukowskismarket.com/en/487396-soffbord-christian-jensen-mobe...

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register