Page 2 / 2
  RSS

foxxxy
(@foxxxy)
Famed Member
30/12/2013 12:00 am  

Glassartist,None of the...
Glassartist,
None of the George Nelson biographies ever mention any work for American of Martinsville. The line is also based on an earlier in-house (and much uglier) line that American of Martinsville produced about 4-5 years earlier. It also featured the inlaid X motif and simple screw-on legs of the end/side tables.

ReplyQuote
glassartist
(@glassartist)
Illustrious Member
30/12/2013 3:00 am  

Foxxxy
First let me apologize. I thought long and hard before I posted and tried to make my point as clearly as I could. By your response it is plain that I failed. I have no problem with your assertion about the Martinsville pieces not being nelson and said as much in my previous post. The fact that you answered as if I was disputing your claim about a bad attribution made me realize my point was not clear. My problem is with absolutist statements rarely being strictly true and that they could benefit from a softening like adding "as far as I know" to your original all caps statement.
Please accept my apologies for my inept attempt at clarity.

ReplyQuote
garlanre
(@garlanre)
Reputable Member
30/12/2013 6:25 am  

I've seen those
American of Martinsville pieces attributed to Merton Gershun.
http://www.invaluable.com/catalog/viewLot.cfm?afRedir=true&lotRef=e1c113...

ReplyQuote
jola
 jola
(@jola)
Trusted Member
30/12/2013 6:34 am  

this stools
This stools wrongly attributed to Salterini had been cleared as Umanoff/Granada-Series by Jonathan Goldstein on Umanoff blog/website. I sold some of these, the tags were there but they had the producer name cut-off... Obviously some sellers did that to hide that it is not Salterini. I couldnt believe it when i saw the tags in perfect condition except for the producer being cut-off...

ReplyQuote
foxxxy
(@foxxxy)
Famed Member
30/12/2013 8:00 am  

Here's another good one.I...
Here's another good one.
I always see these travertine topped tables attributed to Bertha Shaefer for M. Singer & Sons. You can also find them occasionally attributed to Gio Ponti, probably because the stone tops were imported from and marked 'made in italy' on the undersides.
These were actually made by an American company called Gordon's Inc. based in Johnson City, Tennessee. There is no known designer for them and while they look pretty cool, they are actually not very well made.

ReplyQuote
jesgord
(@jesgord)
Illustrious Member
30/12/2013 4:42 pm  

Jean Royére "Hirondelle Table"
This table is ofter missttributed to Jean Royére. It's actually a fish tank table. Back in 2003, one actually sold at auction for over 12,000.00 Euros...oops.

ReplyQuote
Smilo998
(@smilo998)
Eminent Member
10/01/2014 6:55 pm  

it can depend on the relation...
it can depend on the relationship the designer has woth the manufacturer. SOme designers sell the design to the manufacturer outright. Some work for the manufacturer. Some agree a contract with the manufacturer and receive a royalty each time one is sold. So if sold to the manufacturer then it is possible it would be attributed to them.
This lot make them now:
http://www.haungaard.dk/
perjhaps they could clear up any misunderstanding.

ReplyQuote
cdsilva
(@cdsilva)
Illustrious Member
28/11/2016 10:30 pm  

This design line of dressers and nightstands is frequently credited to Edmond Spence. However, as per this vintage ad, the Swedish Guild Collection line was designed by William Hinn for Urban Furniture.

ReplyQuote
cdsilva
(@cdsilva)
Illustrious Member
28/11/2016 10:32 pm  

. . . and here is a Gordon's Fine Furniture ad that was uploaded to a dedicated thread previously.

ReplyQuote
leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
29/11/2016 2:14 am  

Thanks for the William Hinn design credit on those case pieces. I've always thought they are stunning.

ReplyQuote
mvalen
(@mvalen)
Noble Member
29/11/2016 10:56 pm  

Does anyone know if this table is from Gordon's Inc. as well?

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register