Cart

Caring for Barcelon...

Caring for Barcelona chairs?  

RSS

Chicagoan
(@chicagoan)
Eminent Member
23/01/2012 5:47 pm  

I own two Barcelona chairs in a burgundy leather that date from the 1980's. I believe these were custom made. Whatever kind of leather was used is most definitely different than than the hardy type you find in stock at DWR since it stains and scratches every easily. I don't know anything about leather terminology, so I apologize but the leather seems very fine and soft to the touch.
I've never done a thing to them but have recently noticed that the edges of the cushions have begun to dry out, as have a couple of the straps underneath.
Is there a leather conditioner I can safely use? Any advice on how I can preserve the leather?
I thought about contacting Knoll but I'm concerned they'll never get back to me...!
Thank you!

Light.Folio
(@light-folio)
Eminent Member
23/01/2012 10:04 pm  

Your leather is most likely A...
Your leather is most likely Aniline leather that hasn't been finished or corrected- usually a higher end leather.
Knoll uses Spinneybeck, and they have conditioners for sale on their website.
http://www.spinneybeck.com/shop/ProductList.aspx?type=MK
It is a bit pricey compared with other conditioners, but I find that it works great and with no odour.

ReplyQuote
Chicagoan
(@chicagoan)
Eminent Member
24/01/2012 4:51 pm  

Light.Folio, thanks very...
Light.Folio, thanks very much! I think I'm going to order the leather care you recommended. Do you think there's any harm in using aniline products if the leather isn't aniline (though I bet it is)? I guess I'll just cross my fingers and test in a small spot first?

ReplyQuote
Light.Folio
(@light-folio)
Eminent Member
24/01/2012 9:49 pm  

Hi Chicagoan,
If your...
Hi Chicagoan,
If your leather stains or scratches easily, then I'm pretty sure it's aniline. Regardless, it is a mild conditioner, so I don't think it will damage the leather if it isn't aniline. Test on a small area first. Your leather might look significantly darker at first esp. if it is very dry, but not to worry, it will gradually fades as it starts to dry.
It is also recommended to clean aniline leather with only very mild soap foam and a damp cloth if it gets dirty. I think there's a Frits Hansen youtube video for that. It's pretty simple.
Good luck!

ReplyQuote
Chicagoan
(@chicagoan)
Eminent Member
24/01/2012 11:47 pm  

Thanks again, Light.Folio! I...
Thanks again, Light.Folio! I appreciate it.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register