Design Addict

Cart

Braun HL-70  

RSS

sirlampsalot
(@sirlampsalot)
Reputable Member
12/07/2011 2:23 am  

Can anyone tell me how to dismantle the Braun HL-70 model fan for servicing and cleaning?

sirlampsalot
(@sirlampsalot)
Reputable Member
15/07/2011 6:44 pm  

just renewing this thread...
just renewing this thread hoping someone out there knows.

ReplyQuote
Numero4
(@numero4)
29/08/2011 10:33 pm  

Cleaning the HL 70
Quoting the user manual from my HL 70:
"The motor casing must be kept free from moisture when the fan is being cleaned. A damp cloth or a brush is best suited for dust removal."
There is a picture showing a person holding what looks like a dry paint brush and cleaning the blades. Is your fan so dirty it needs dismantling?
Hope that helped...
Etienne

ReplyQuote
J.J.
 J.J.
(@j-j)
Trusted Member
29/08/2011 11:48 pm  

I own an HL1
Luckily I was able to dismantle and clean my HL1 and check its motor assembly with the help of a flickr user's photos.
Before you do, I really hope you consider the risk. It's no easy feat and if the piece is special to you, I'd think it over. I'm bullheaded and it paid off for me.
Hopefully the HL70 might be similar. Go to this link to find all the photos.
http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=all&q=braun+fan+restoration&m=text
Here's some conversation we had about it.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rkcilf/54644344/
One of the important things on mine was the "hidden screw" underneath a circular cap that's completely flush on the base of the unit and almost undetectable. And never use any sort of metal object/prying mechanism. Use use a plastic spudger on all the plastic sections.
Hope this might point you in the right direction.
Great pickup too. I love mine and wouldn't trade it for the world.
http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=all&q=braun+fan+restoration&m=text

ReplyQuote
sirlampsalot
(@sirlampsalot)
Reputable Member
30/08/2011 7:25 am  

Thank You.
Numero Yes my fan is in need of dismantling. The Plexiglas shield on my HL-70 is covered with something that needs more than a brush removal. I received the fan this way and while functionally it works great, aesthetically it is not a pretty sight. I am thankful that you posted some of the owners's manual however.
J.J. Thank you for the information about your HL-1 as since posting I have acquired one of these as well and while not near as dirty as the HL-70 does need some light cleaning and may need motor maintenance at some point in the future.
I guess the main thing I am needing is how to get the actual cage blade off to clean the shield and the motor shaft. I noticed the set screw on the HL-1 but this seems to have been eliminated on the HL-70. So I'm still not quite sure how to get the cage blade off of the HL-70 without pulling (which I don't want to do and risk bending the shaft or damaging the blade).
Thanks again to both of you who responded.

ReplyQuote
Hans R
(@hans-r)
08/07/2014 8:31 am  

Repair of Braun HL-70
Hi, It's been a while since you posted this. Maybe you put it away and are still looking to repair it.
From what I read on the German websites, you simply - carefully - pry off the fan part of it. Some recommend to run it for a while, as this supposedly heats up the shaft, thus making it easier to pull it off.
I tried it and it came off easily. I used two screwdrivers to spread the leveraging forces.
Hope this helps,
Hans

ReplyQuote
sirlampsalot
(@sirlampsalot)
Reputable Member
08/07/2014 6:48 pm  

Thanks!
Thanks Hans! I actually have just been using the fan in its current state but I still would like to clean it. I will certainly try your method.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register