Borge Mogensen chai...

Borge Mogensen chair ... or not?  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
01/02/2016 6:55 am  

Just accidentally figured this one out. Designed by Svend Frandsen for Hugo Frandsen:
https://aleph-01.kb.dk/F/P8LNGURP759NNVN469E7M3CHIBP53XLG2EFSFYD9SXCDYCJ...
In 1966.
Incidentally the Hugo Frandsen company name seems to have been mostly forgotten. Some of its pieces are marked with a stamp that has "HF" in a circle, and "made in Denmark" above and "Spottrup" below. Apparently everybody forgot what The HF stood for and now usually calls the company Spottrup Møbler or Møbelfabrik. Spottrup is not part of the company name. Just the place where it was. And finally somehow people seem to think that Hugo Frandsen was the name of a designer, not a manufacturer, and that he designed for Børge Søndergaard (as though he were a manufacturer), but in fact Børge Søndergaard was a retailer, who sold some furniture made by Hugo Frandsen.

ReplyQuote
cdsilva
(@cdsilva)
Illustrious Member
01/02/2016 7:56 pm  

nice call, leif. That makes two obscure IDs for the forum today. Drinks on Mark.
Interesting to note that the double screws on the OP's chair (lower side of backrest) is different than the old photo (front side of front legs).
On a tangent note, CF Christensen out of Silkeborg, gets "interpreted" quite often as a manufacturer named: CFC Silkeborg. There are plenty of similar examples out there, but this one popped to mind first.

ReplyQuote
Brussels_Sprout
(@brussels_sprout)
01/02/2016 7:59 pm  

Wow, thank you so much... You clearly deserve your reputation on this forum! I had personnaly tried to check every single chair in the danish index, but I think I had filled "OAK" + "LEATHER", beginner's mistake I guess. I feel a little bit stupid right now, thanks Leif! 😉
It's also funny to see there is a little difference between the 2 models : mine has screws at the side of the backrest's base while the one in the index has screws on the front, where the armrests meet the seat.
You are right on hte "Spottrup" notice, I also thought it was a producer name, thank you for the information. I must admit I had never heard about "Hugo Frandsen", now I will dig a little bit.
1000 thanks again for your kind help Leif.

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
01/02/2016 10:18 pm  

You are welcome. Lots of people here know quite a lot. In fact I learned a lot of what I know from here.
Here is the Hugo Frandsen mark that is NOT Spottrup Møbelfabrik:

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
01/02/2016 10:22 pm  

Oh and they also changed the screws on the front legs. Not sure why they would have done that. But the chair is pretty obscure and late, which means it is beyond hard to see anybody making such an extremely close knockoff. And especially not a company that was part of the DFC club.
Are you sure all the screws and holes are original?

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
01/02/2016 10:44 pm  

Thanks lief for the info. I have the same ottoman in black vinyl.

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
02/02/2016 4:17 am  

I have seen a Børge Søndergaard catalog that says the round, three legged tripod made by Hugo Frandsen was also designed by Hugo Frandsen. Of course, in that sort of case I don't know whether he did design it, or whether it is an in-house design by someone else for which Hugo Frandsen owned the copyright.

ReplyQuote
cdsilva
(@cdsilva)
Illustrious Member
02/02/2016 4:19 am  

I'll take no credit for this, as leif referred to it in the Finn Juhl/Pastoe/Nissen thread, but here is a vintage ad your stool, woody: model #HF-30

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
02/02/2016 4:29 pm  

Awesome, thanks!! 🙂

ReplyQuote
jesgord
(@jesgord)
Illustrious Member
08/02/2016 3:35 am  

Just came across some additional documentation on these. These pics came from a September 1967 catalog insert from German design magazine MD called md catalog.

ReplyQuote
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
08/02/2016 5:40 am  

Very nice! Double documentation for a maker that was poorly enough known that the mark was nearly universally mis-represented: not bad at all. And it even re-iterates the designer. I wonder who Svend Frandsen was in relation to Hugo Frandsen. It was often the case that these companies were named for a father or grandfather, so it is quite possible he was the then current generation of ownership, but that is speculation. I guess I could dig a bit....
I see that the MD magazine version has all the screws re-arranged from the Danish Furniture Index version, and like the OP's chair. And there is a matching side table! I suppose there probably was not a stretched version of the chair that would be a sofa, because that would not work with the sling back. And consequently, there probably is no matching coffee table/'sofabord'.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register