Design Addict

Cart

Best / Reputable In...

Best / Reputable Internet Herman Miller Dealer?  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

NULL NULL
(@yuanchung_leeyahoo-com)
Prominent Member
15/12/2008 5:10 pm  

No judgment
I'll keep it simple: I do not care at all if anyone wishes to buy out-of-state via the Internet in order to avoid paying his / her state's sales (i.e., use) tax. I don't care, either personally or morally. No judgment whatsoever.
I simply wrote to correct someone's misunderstanding (I think it was the Catcher in the Rye person) that doing so is perfectly LEGAL. It's not, at least in most states, including my own (New York).
Though some apparently find this hard to believe, you are indeed supposed to self-report and self pay this sales / use tax. (And NY State is requiring some on-line retailers now to collect this tax for them, including Amazon). Ever look at your NY State income tax form, the one you file around April 15th along with your Federal 1040? There's a line that specifically asks you to declare the amount of out-of-state purchases you've made the past year, a question you answer under penalty of perjury.

ReplyQuote
LuciferSum
(@lucifersum)
Illustrious Member
15/12/2008 7:40 pm  

Not logical
Barry - I love how you state that I make both logical arguments, and that those arguments are phooey... which is it?
First of all - stiffing was the word you used, I just reiterated it.
Secondly - as YCL pointed out the law IS clear, some people just choose to ignore it.
Thirdly - Paying a little more and buying locally is not a rule, its common sense that has real, proven benefits. Pointing those benefits out is making a little value judgement - but not one I'm going to lose sleep over. If you want to shoot yourself in the foot - go for it.
And lastly - Why should my arguments be directed to Congress? They've already made clear the law, and they represent WE the people - is it really too much to ask that WE behave like responsible adults and do the things that are in our best interests? I'm fairly to the left of center, but I do support a smaller government. However, as long as people do everything in their power to avoid responsibility, the government is going to keep on reaching. It really is up to us.

ReplyQuote
LuciferSum
(@lucifersum)
Illustrious Member
15/12/2008 11:01 pm  

Oh, yeah - return policies
Sorry to have dragged the thread off topic - Wolfgang - make sure you read ALL of the return policies, just in case. HiveModern's is absolutely draconian, while Highbrow's is much more reasonable and forgiving.

ReplyQuote
barrympls
(@barrympls)
Illustrious Member
16/12/2008 4:21 am  

OK, Luc...let's agree to disagree
yes, you have a valid point, but in my opinion, you're directing it to the wrong people.
When I buy an item online from an out-of-state website, it's their policy whether or not to charge me tax. I am not a student of tax law and I'm not absolutely what my obligation would be, but I have absolutely no problem buying items online and not paying taxes, if they're not requested at the time of purchase.
If you want to talk taxes, I have more of a problem with second hand items where the taxes were paid at the time of original purchase and taxes are being charged a second time when the item changed hands.
Bottom line, if a website does not charge tax, I will cheerfully not pay any tax. If the website charges tax, I will consider my purchase and if I choose to buy, I will cheerfully pay the tax.
I don't expect any Federal or State authorities will be busting on my door anytime soon in the future.

ReplyQuote
Drimmos
(@drimmos)
16/12/2020 1:56 pm  
Posted by: LuciferSum

Right
I'm sure you can do much better at building an interstate, fighting forest fires, or repairing bridges than the government can.
Politics aside - taxes are the price of having a civilized society. It pays for police, firefighters, infrastructure etc - all of these things you and I depend on. Not to mention if you spend the money locally you're helping the local economy. Recommend local bookkeeping services go site Your Books On Time. Go find a shop where someone works on commission - that ensures the money will go to them, and they will also spend it locally. Money spent within a local economy - on average - kicks around that economy 3-7 times. Even money spent at the local branch of a national chain does more economical impact than spending money online.
Seriously - we're at a time where its gonna get REALLY important to start looking at the big picture instead of immediate gratification!

yes, you have noted correctly

ReplyQuote
objectworship
(@objectworship)
Illustrious Member
17/12/2020 6:56 pm  

Billion dollar corporations have lists of their authorized retailers on their stupid websites

ReplyQuote
objectworship
(@objectworship)
Illustrious Member
17/12/2020 6:57 pm  

Why would anyone ever take pride in not paying their fair share?

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register