Cart

Authentication of a...

Authentication of a Mies Van Der Rohe Barcelona Daybed  

RSS

rosapastel
(@rosapastel)
13/03/2016 8:44 am  

Hi there,
I am wondering if anyone can assist me in identifying whether this daybed (see attached picture) is an authentic Mies Van Der Rohe daybed?
I bought it for a cheap price in order to offset the risk that it is a replica (which I am suspicious that it might be) . There are no tags or stickers on the frame or cushions. In addition, the frame is lacquered in black. All of the authentic daybeds I have seen have a walnut frame. Although knoll did a limited edition with a chrome frame. I am wondering if anyone knows if there was ever a limited knoll edition in the daybed that provided a black frame?
The person I bought it off stated that the stamping/authentication tags only commenced around 1960s and it is older than that. With that being said, I am wondering if anyone knows anything about the original mies van der rohe daybed pre-knoll issue - did this come in frames other than walnut i.e. black frame? Does anyone know what I should I be looking for to authenticate it?
I know that knoll acquired the rights in 1953 but what marks/authentication tags should I look for in an early production? I know that with later knoll editions there is a stamp in the leg but this only started in the 90s - if my memory serves me correct - and supposedly the daybed I have is circa 1960 edition. Any information would be much appreciated on how to solve/authenticate whether this is a real.
There isn't much on the daybed online. I found loads on the barcelona chair which hasn't been helpful.
Many thanks,
Anna

leif ericson - Zephyr Renner
(@leif-ericson)
Illustrious Member
13/03/2016 3:09 pm  

Didn't Knoll design the Barcelona daybed?

ReplyQuote
fastfwd
(@fastfwd)
Illustrious Member
13/03/2016 11:39 pm  

Larger photos of details (or a photo that showed proportions better, or a list of dimensions) would make it easier to tell, but just judging from the straps, it doesn't look like Knoll to me.

ReplyQuote
rosapastel
(@rosapastel)
14/03/2016 5:56 am  

Hi fastfwd,
Thanks for your input! I added a couple more pics that show the straps up close...I think the measurements were: 6 feet and 8 inches (length) x 32 inches (width)....I'll need to confirm this.
Anna

ReplyQuote
catta
(@catta)
18/02/2020 9:24 am  

Hi 

i have a similar question on authentication of MvdR Daybed: did Knoll work with Pirelli? I am about to buy a Barcelon Daybed without any marks except a Pirelli logo on one of the straps. Could anybody give me his opinion on whether this is a true or fake version? Thanks a lot

1582014245-BCF9481E-5DA8-4C4B-B231-5904B991372C.jpeg

ReplyQuote
catta
(@catta)
18/02/2020 9:29 am  

And here a second pic from the same Daybed. Thanks for your advice

1582014570-3F436F9D-6353-461F-A3F3-DE8735B0A527.jpeg

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register