Design Addict

Cart

Authentic Hans Wegn...

Authentic Hans Wegner Papa bear or Momma bear? early model?  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

modernefamilie
(@modernefamilie)
Noble Member
22/12/2015 9:41 pm  

"Authentic Hans Wegner Papa bear or Momma bear? early model?"
No, nope, nada.
I'll echo what everyone has said. I doubt that's teak and you're going to be very disappointed when you receive it. From whom are you buying this and for what purpose?

ReplyQuote
My Panton Home
(@my-panton-home)
Prominent Member
22/12/2015 10:14 pm  

I was going to start my own thread but while we are on the subject of Wegner fakes i wanted to post a pic i found.
This chair popped up at a local auction recently as attributed to Wegner, but is clearly an old fake or copy.
It did sell very high though i am sad to report.

ReplyQuote
staceyneil
(@staceyneil)
Prominent Member
07/01/2016 2:07 am  

Weren't there several other designers in Denmark who made very similar chairs? I know I've seen them at auctions listed by designers other than Wegner. I just can't remember who now, sorry!

ReplyQuote
teakhound
(@teakhound)
Prominent Member
07/01/2016 7:32 am  

Derrick - your chair reminds me of a Carl Edward Matthes chair I came across recently. Pic below.
Panton - what makes you think that green Papa Bear is fake? Everything looks right to me, though it does appear to have had a very tough life.

ReplyQuote
Dropkickd_rock
(@dropkickd_rock)
Trusted Member
07/01/2016 7:49 am  

Ive been looking again at it and it does remind me of this chair by Kurt Østervig for Henry Rolschau Møbler as well. Upholstery style of the chair does match alot of Carl Edward Matthes works as well. Still have yet to solve the mystery but I have been chipping away at it. Thanks for the insight Teakhound.

ReplyQuote
modernefamilie
(@modernefamilie)
Noble Member
07/01/2016 10:00 pm  

So did you get the chair? How about posting some photos of the construction of it?

ReplyQuote
My Panton Home
(@my-panton-home)
Prominent Member
08/01/2016 6:39 pm  

Teakhound, if you look at the construction of the innards of the chair i posted and compare it to a real one, you will see that its very different and much simpler.
There were copies made here in Sweden already in the 60´s that are almost identical when upholstered, and i believe this is one of those.

ReplyQuote
cdsilva
(@cdsilva)
Illustrious Member
08/01/2016 6:46 pm  

Speaking of which, does anyone have a photo of a completely naked AP Stolen (PP Mobler) Papa Bear frame? There is a Modernica replica skeleton that is easily found online (attached), but I'm not sure if it is true to the original.

ReplyQuote
My Panton Home
(@my-panton-home)
Prominent Member
09/01/2016 2:31 pm  

Here is one courtesy of Revive Upholstery and design.

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
09/01/2016 5:02 pm  

Ah, thanks for posting that photo, My Panton Home. I took the liberty of doing a composite photo of that and the Swedish chair for easy comparison.

ReplyQuote
cdsilva
(@cdsilva)
Illustrious Member
09/01/2016 5:45 pm  

Thanks indeed. Obviously your google skills are better than mine.
And while the Modernica frame is very similar, including built-in slots along the side rails for the straps, there looks to be differences as well.
1) The back teak legs of the original appear to transition to beech framing below the armrest, while the Modernica uses walnut all the way up.
2) the crest rail appears to be constant depth in the original,while the Modernica gets narrower at the ends.
Then again, maybe the internal framing was modified over the years, and there is an old one that Modernica's matches exactly.
All of this is good to know should I ever stumble across a disrobed Papa Bear in the wild.

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
09/01/2016 5:53 pm  

And because I find few things as much fun as finding photos of knockoffs to the real thing taken at as identical an angle as possible and then comparing them point by point, here are some more!
(The real one is a downloadable photo from P.P. Mobler's site---which, by the way, also has some photos of areas of the bare frame.)

ReplyQuote
cdsilva
(@cdsilva)
Illustrious Member
09/01/2016 6:17 pm  

... and the frame photos on their site show the back legs extending all the way up to the armrest like Modernica's. So there must have been multiple internal framing designs over the years.

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
09/01/2016 6:31 pm  

Cdsilva, the gray chair in my previous post (#2 of the three) is Modernica. The difference that jumps out at me is the shape of the arm---thicker and more club-like than on the real chair. It looks rather crude now that I've really noticed it. The radius of the curve where armrest meets wing is also much bigger. And the leg taper! That is way off.
The chartreuse chair is a cheap Chinese knockoff and are is also way off but in a different way---and it's also just one of many really obvious differences, obviously!
Here is an old AP Stolen Papa Bear with original upholstery, and a new one from PP Møbler. Who knows what the framing looks like but the angle of the arm to the wing, the radius of the curve where armrest meets wing is the same, and the arm itself has the same sleek shape.

ReplyQuote
My Panton Home
(@my-panton-home)
Prominent Member
09/01/2016 7:06 pm  

On the Revive chair it almost looks like the backleg extends all the way out to the nails, but could of course be to different pieces of wood.
Found a link to a Lauritz blog where they picture the Swedish copy side-by-side with a real one.
The real chair is the higher of the two, but very similar!
Finally Lauritz did something good.....
https://lauritzblogsweden.wordpress.com/2012/05/25/upptack-kopian-ar-det...

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register