Art around the home

Art around the home  

Page 9 / 9
  RSS

NULL NULL
(@paulannapaulanna-homechoice-co-uk)
Illustrious Member
17/09/2013 12:03 am  

This is the place you had when you were 17 right?

ReplyQuote
onegroovydude
(@onegroovydudegmail-com)
Famed Member
17/09/2013 1:13 am  

I totally
know what you're saying there. I guess I'm just an extreme kid at heart. I haven't moved on to smoking a pipe, seated in a room full of rich mahogany, holding my leather bound book with one hand as I lick the tip of my finger to gently turn each page while Bach plays in the background, my spectacles half tilt, no. I do listen to classical from time to time, and like to play the piano.
I just love statement pieces. The feeling of someone looking around trying to take all that in. Trying to figure it out. Making the gears turn. I have a lot of personality. It reflects in my surroundings. My life. The lives of other around me. Every piece I own has it's own personality too. Every piece tells a story. It's a part of cultural history. Part of the bright lights, and big city feel. Part of made life great. No downers. No drab colors. Nothing boring.
I love the history of our world coming up and try to represent it all from the 1920's neon clock, to the 1980's Swatch Maxi-clock. There's a lot of great things from all era's. As much as I want to be all 60's, I can't.
My kitchen cabinets are 60's and have a teak finish though. I refuse to paint over them and take away the originality, even though they don't match. I did change the handles though. But right next to them is my 1940's GE Fridge with revolving aluminum lazy susan shelves, so...
I just love all important statement pieces from several era's, and love to weave them all into something colorful and fun, that makes people look twice at everything, and want to ask you something... If they don't care to even ask, then they're too boring for me...

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
17/09/2013 2:03 am  

You have some nice things there.
But you also have some that are not as nice. Mostly you have A LOT OF STUFF. All crammed in together. Overcrowded objects make a space look more like a consignment shop than a home. It looks as if you're stuffing the place with every single thing you've ever gotten that you think is cool (except yeah, i know it's only a tiny fraction of what you've bought since you've been doing this).
What I'm saying is that the overall design of your home needs some heavy editing. If you can't bear to part with any of those objects, then store 3/4 of them in the attic or garage and rotate your displays. Even your kitschier pieces will look a little classier with some space around them. As it is, every object in there is competing visually with five or six others, or more.

ReplyQuote
adamfowler
(@adamsfowlergmail-com)
Noble Member
17/09/2013 2:56 am  

lets all agree to stop pickin...
lets all agree to stop picking on you know who. I appreciate the desire but it's starting to feel a little dirty around here. Lets also try and not make it so easy, please for all of our sanity!

ReplyQuote
onegroovydude
Famed Member
17/09/2013 3:14 am  

Ya.... I agree...
That's why I'm hoping to do good with my Bertoia, so I can buy some more room. A lot of stuff is already put up. I was just hoping to spread it all out some soon...
I'm very crowded on space right now, but I hate to put even more stuff up. I feel that until the time comes, me (and them) should get some enjoyment in life.
I just picked up 4 24" Art Deco aluminum movie reels, with the films still completely wound. I'd love to hang the four somewhere and run the film from one to the next in some kind of pattern, but I don't have the room.
I guess I'm dreaming a lot bigger than I'm living, but would really like to show everything properly someday, with plenty of room for each piece.
Thanks for the nice compliment btw....:)

ReplyQuote
Starline
(@starline)
Prominent Member
17/09/2013 8:57 am  

I find it odd one groovy...
I find it odd one groovy that most comments about what you love with peoples id's was boring low end timber furiture or lamps.
Yet your home is more 60s,70s glam in a way.
Also does not make sense to me on those images I posted you carried on about as vomit as I see those pieces as a step up from exactly what you are doing at home.
Maybe you are just too quick to comment negatively as some have suggested which is easy to do online.I do see you are passionate about your pieces and that's what it's all about regardless if people like it or not.
I really like all your pieces though I have a similar problem with too much stuff.
It is a constant battle with what to put where as I love all of it but with limited space.I have a room or 2 for storing but it's not enough.
A friend of mine is worse and had to rent storage but has some spectacular pieces.
Anyway it was great to see your amazing collection so please feel free to post more images anytime.Ignore Paulanna she has no idea.The better high end vintage stores in London would love to have some of your pieces and so would I.

ReplyQuote
onegroovydude
Famed Member
17/09/2013 11:05 am  

Hey...
That was really nice to say Starline...:) I appreciate it. That really made my day. I'm happy to know you got some enjoyment from looking at my pieces, and thought some London shops would too..
You know, glam was kind of fitting, because as soon as I read that labeling I thought "Glam huh? Ya, I like Blondie. I like LED watches." I guess that's what I like. Everything that was glamorous from those era's.
The collecting deal is really a disease. I'd like to think our kind isn't as bad as someone who collects old TV guides and used newspapers, but its still very tough to pass up a good bargain, or something you feel you just can't live without.
My comment about the blue room was really unnecessary. At the time I was so fixated on the retro stuff we were looking at, I didn't even stop to think that it was a hollywood regency glam setup. Later I didn't think it was bad, once I stopped to realize what I had just looked at. I do say things sometimes too quickly without thinking, like then for example. Heat of the moment type stuff. Gotta love that edit feature...:)
Thanks again for the wonderful comment. It really means something coming from a regular around here. Makes someone feel real special. Especially when you're surrounded by 5 miles of corn, and your neighbors collect ufc gear, and beer can airplanes. 😛

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
22/09/2013 1:56 am  

Recent acquisition

ReplyQuote
vintagestique
(@vintagestique)
Prominent Member
22/09/2013 3:55 am  

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
22/09/2013 4:21 am  

XD
XD

ReplyQuote
adamfowler
(@adamsfowlergmail-com)
Noble Member
21/11/2013 7:57 pm  

Our new piece and very...
Our new piece and very excited to have it. Looking forward to placing it in a better spot in our new home.
From the uncompromisingly subtle Jeff Morris
http://jeffmorris-studio.com/sculpture.html

ReplyQuote
shademan
(@shademan)
20/06/2019 12:29 am  

I was researching today, information about Sherry Vilas as ny parents have a beatle paining by who i guess was your mother. Please reach out to bermo4@aol.com and I can send pictures and background if you wish. I have no idea if this live or you will get this..but hope you will.

thanks

ReplyQuote
waffle
(@waffle)
Illustrious Member
20/06/2019 5:48 am  

well that is odd.  I have 3 sherry vilas pieces.  Her brother was a childhood friend of my brother.  WEIRD

ReplyQuote
Page 9 / 9
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register