Are you ever happy?

Are you ever happy?  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

whitespike
(@whitespike)
Illustrious Member
09/02/2010 11:31 pm  

No matter what you get, or how much you like it, there's always more. And there is only so much room in your house. What do you do? Practice restraint? Buy and sell in cycles? That matching set of diamonds are cool, but wouldn't a pair of Knoll armless club chairs look nice there? A bIrd where your 670 is?

koen
 koen
(@koen)
Illustrious Member
09/02/2010 11:38 pm  

One of the resons...
why I limit "collecting" to interesting ceramics from living collegues is that I want to encourage them. Otherwise I only have one rule: "Live simply so that others can simply live"

ReplyQuote
Lenox
(@lenox)
Famed Member
09/02/2010 11:46 pm  

I can not wait until
I have received my needed items. Sometimes I wonder the same, however, I am still not on that scale yet whitespike.
For me it is the discovery of items and lately I have found myself giving advice to craigslisters who do not know what they have. I ask myself three questions: Do I need another, do I want to make any extra cash, and should I leave it for another to discover. Sorry local market for helping those who do not realize that they have a css unit and are selling it for 100 dollars. Okay seriously, this only happened once and the gentlemen was a post graduate student who needed the money. Lets just say he made a little more than he expected.
I will not make any promises but I will slow down on the former.

ReplyQuote
Olive
(@olive)
Illustrious Member
10/02/2010 12:04 am  

I'm with Koen
I don't want a lot of stuff to fill up my space. I can admire things without the need to own them. My rule is "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" -William Morris

ReplyQuote
Cream and Chrome
(@cream-and-chrome)
Noble Member
10/02/2010 12:16 am  

yep!
I'm one of those people Whitespike.. I think about it quite a lot, rearrange stuff, buying one nice thing while I drool over another. Yep, sometimes it feels slightly stupid and pointless.. (and my wife is slowly getting drained by the process) but it's bloody good fun.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
10/02/2010 1:29 am  

As long as you are enjoying it...
You should be "happy", relatively speaking. If not, then you have a problem.

ReplyQuote
whitespike
(@whitespike)
Illustrious Member
10/02/2010 1:36 am  

A problem? Plenty of those.
A problem? Plenty of those.

ReplyQuote
Pegboard Modern
(@davidpegboardchicago-com)
Illustrious Member
10/02/2010 2:02 am  

YES
I have a serious collector sickness and have been self-medicating for some time now. As much as I love the things I collect, I can honestly say that I'm content. I think that is what you mean rather than "happy". I'm very satisfied with my life. Beyond the fact that I have a great family and am blessed in a number of ways, I'm surrounded with things that I love, that bring me much joy and enrich my (and my family's) life.
If something super cool comes along, I have to decide how much I like it and what would have to be displaced to accommodate it. But I have a number of favorite things that I can't imagine tiring of or wanting to replace or change. It can be very satisfying to find that "perfect" piece for a space or a need, but it's also fun to see how seemingly minor changes can make a space look completely different.
While I see my home environment as a work of art which I'm always refining, tweaking and improving it's also true that if tomorrow I was not able to acquire anything new, I'd still be very happy with what we have.

ReplyQuote
LuciferSum
(@lucifersum)
Illustrious Member
10/02/2010 2:02 am  

Tempered
I understand where Whitespike is coming from...its tough, especially given both the number of truly amazing pieces in the world, and the number of amazing deals to be had.
My own 'collecting' has been tempered by a move from 1 tiny bedroom in a shared furnished apartment into a 2 bedroom aparment for me and the 'hubs'. As we realized that we need more things: a dining table, for example. And bookshelves. And bedroom storage - I became increasingly aware of the sheer mass of the items. Whereas the move into this apartment consisted of some very basic pieces: couch, bed, Eames lounge the move OUT is going to require a multi-man crew.
And attitudes towards furniture change. I once thought the Eames RAR was impossible to find. Then the LCW was the pinnacle chair to have... then it was the Eames lounge. Then it was The Chair. Now it's somewhere between a leather Egg chair and a Papa Bear. Or perhaps an Ox.
Somewhere along the line though, I think you start to realized that some furniture, just like your hubs, is there for good, for better or for worse.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@writeshawnyahoo-com)
Estimable Member
10/02/2010 4:04 am  

I'm often happy, but ...
I'm never finished with my collections. I have several collections, and I always am collecting. It's part of who I am.
I try to practice restraint. If that fails, I sell something. Or I hang another shelf! The answer in my house is always, "Let's hang some shelves here."
My question is, why do collectors always marry non-collectors?

ReplyQuote
koen
 koen
(@koen)
Illustrious Member
10/02/2010 5:06 am  

Because...
there are not enough collectors to collect!

ReplyQuote
SDR
 SDR
(@sdr)
Illustrious Member
10/02/2010 5:08 am  

Koen,
I met a potter or two at RISD. One of them, Bob Lucas, ended up rooming with another of my friends, after school. Bob had collected quite a few ceramic pieces by friends, over time. His new roommate hung the shelves that his collection now rested on. The shelves came down (don't trust a landscape architect to do the carpentry ?) and many favorite treasures were lost. End of sad story. (Wish I knew where either of these guys is today. . .)

ReplyQuote
barrympls
(@barrympls)
Illustrious Member
10/02/2010 6:47 am  

Generally speaking
I'm happy about half of the time....not too bad.
For example, I received the 40th Anniversary 2-CD set of the second David Bowie album, "Space Oddity" with tons of first-time stereo on the bonus CD. The only problem is that the plastic CD trays both have broken hubs, and the package is the type where the trays are glued onto paper.
So, I'm happy with the CDs and package, but not happy with the broken trays.
As I said, usually about 50% happy!

ReplyQuote
uasrem2
(@uasrem2)
Honorable Member
12/02/2010 6:47 pm  

http://www.hoarders.org/f-c.html

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@tpetersonneb-rr-com)
Illustrious Member
12/02/2010 11:10 pm