Cart

Are this swivel cha...

Are this swivel chair's arms original?  

RSS

NULL NULL
(@tribalfibersyahoo-com)
Trusted Member
07/09/2011 9:16 am  

I recently bought this teak-based swivel armchair with a dreadful reupholstery job (ribbed viscose!). The cylindrical arms look a little strange to me. Any idea of whether the shape was altered when this thing was reupholstered, or would these be the original?

Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
07/09/2011 9:44 pm  

haha--My first thought was...
haha--My first thought was that the round thing on the front end of the left armrest was an air inflation valve!
I kinda like the main part of the chair, though I would have done the tufting without the buttons. It looks very comfortable.
As for the arms---I would squeeze them to get a feel for what's under there. If they had a more conventional armrest originally, you might be able to feel it. Of course, the base for this round shape might have a more conventional shape, too, so there's no guarantee that this will yield concrete info.
eta: if you're going to get it reupholstered anyway, I would go ahead and remove the fabric and padding from one of the arms.

ReplyQuote
Robert Leach
(@robertleach1960yahoo-co-uk)
Illustrious Member
07/09/2011 10:04 pm  

looks
to me like it's possibly a Stressless chair.
The arms of those are usually attached by means of brackets that go under the seat.. I think I can see them in the picture?

ReplyQuote
rockland
(@rockland)
Illustrious Member
07/09/2011 10:34 pm  

It does look like an older Ekornes but puffed. I do think they all tilt though.
I would look at the google image page for Ekornes Stressless and if you
have it recovered, a good upholsterer could reshape it for you with a
reference. Less puffy it seems it could be a nice lounge.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@tribalfibersyahoo-com)
Trusted Member
08/09/2011 12:25 am  

That "valve" is merely a...
That "valve" is merely a hole in the fabric! Yes the arms seem to be attached with a sort of bracket. The centre form of them is metal, but very thin, so I don't know whether someone just wrapped a piece of foam around the form, making this cylinder from perhaps an original flat shape.
Hmmm.
This beast swivels, but doesn't tilt. And it IS comfortable. Wish I had a foot stool.

ReplyQuote
Spanky
(@spanky)
Illustrious Member
08/09/2011 9:40 am  

You can probably have the...
You can probably have the arms restyled. I've done it with stuff like that and it has worked out well.

ReplyQuote
greatwhite
(@greatwhite)
Trusted Member
08/09/2011 11:35 pm  

Strange... I have a chair...
Strange... I have a chair with the exact same seat but has a teak base. Maybe someone got creative? The chair I have is made in Canada by R. Huber & Company in 1969.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@tribalfibersyahoo-com)
Trusted Member
09/09/2011 11:27 pm  

Maybe not so strange -- I'm...
Maybe not so strange -- I'm in Toronto (and my Dad has your chair, in an ivory wool). So maybe mine's a Huber, too. Wish it were leather. Did you get yours done, or was it already in leather when you bought it?

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@tribalfibersyahoo-com)
Trusted Member
10/09/2011 2:38 am  

Rock on, Canada!
Just found this beauty....guess it's a Huber. Maybe I've just found my ottoman....

ReplyQuote
greatwhite
(@greatwhite)
Trusted Member
24/09/2011 1:03 am  

I wish it was leather, it's...
I wish it was leather, it's actually vinyl. I bought the chair from the original owner and they hardly sat on it. The vinyl has cracked on a couple seams from dryness. I have some Maharam divina wool in dark charcoal and was thinking of having it re upholstered. How do you guys think that would look?
Now if I can find the matching ottoman...
Mike

ReplyQuote
sharpcuts
(@sharpcuts)
23/04/2015 9:02 pm  

By any chance greatwhite, do you still have this chair?

ReplyQuote
greatwhite
(@greatwhite)
Trusted Member
29/04/2015 6:59 am  

No sharpcuts i sold it a while back. Do you have one?

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register