Design Addict

Cart

Are all authentic B...

Are all authentic Barcelona chairs stamped?  

RSS

tahirua
(@tahirua)
18/07/2013 12:27 am  

Hi everyone,
I'm in NZ and am interested in buying a pair of vintage Barcelona chairs. I have found these ones online.
The seller says they are authentic Knoll chairs made in the 1970's, but nfortunately there is no stamp on them.
Is there any chance that they are authentic if they don't have a stamp?
And by the way, if they are not authentic, how much do you think I should pay for them given that new quality reproduction ones in NZ are maximum $1300 each.
I'd appreciate your experience here!
Many thanks
(edited by DA - link removed, pictures added - no links to items for sale please)

fastfwd
(@fastfwd)
Illustrious Member
18/07/2013 12:54 am  

Knoll has been stamping the Mies signature
only since 1996.
A little more info is here:
http://www.designaddict.com/design_addict/forums/index.cfm/fuseaction/th...

ReplyQuote
koen
 koen
(@koen)
Illustrious Member
21/07/2013 6:31 am  

Sorry to get back..
this late on your question. Two details indicate to me that these are not produced by Knoll. The Knoll Barcelaona chairs do not have these clearly rounded ends on the feet. In order to make sure that the crossing of the two blades does not reveal which of the blades is welded and which is continous, the radii on the inside are quite generous. In this case they seem to be smaller than the originals.

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
21/07/2013 6:45 am  

Koen is spot on.
Plus, the cushions don't seem to fit properly. A snappy enclosed of one of my vintage barcelona chair legs.
Best,
Mark

ReplyQuote
jbtirza
(@jbtirza)
Reputable Member
21/07/2013 1:13 pm  

The
Same thing with the backrest. Also the round edges and the whole curve seems to be wrong. On the original one at the top the curve turns almost straight again. this one is too wide apart from the back. I would pay some attention to the sofa table though...

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@sir-gattiweb-de)
Eminent Member
21/07/2013 5:11 pm  

Good to see the Barcelona...
Good to see the Barcelona questions.
Maybe somebody can also tell, if the metal on the backrest is divided under the leather straps?
I mean, I have seen some Barcelonas, where there is under the first (or 2nd ?) strap from the backrest if you put it away a bit, the metalparts are divided and put together.
Is is original, or also an indicate for a fake ?

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
21/07/2013 5:28 pm  

There was some discussion about this some time ago.
As I recall, the Knoll chrome plated version offered by Design Within Reach has a pieced together frame. The stainless version is one piece.
Best,
Mark

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register