Design Addict

Cart

Anyone here collect...

Anyone here collect Blenko Glass?  

RSS

davestradamus
(@davestradamus)
03/04/2014 8:13 pm  

I have the oppertunity to buy a small collection of Blenko glass.

Anyone here collect it? What should I look for in order to get the more valuable pieces?

I know color is a major factor, but what about age? A lot of these might have been made after 1980.

Cheers!!

NULL NULL
(@wizaynecarterhotmail-com)
Noble Member
04/04/2014 7:04 pm  

This web site....
has all of the info you need
http://www.blenkoarchive.org/

ReplyQuote
ModTiques
(@blairdock3yahoo-com)
Trusted Member
04/04/2014 9:03 pm  

Look for
The Large floor vase. Those are the most desirable to collectors. The big ones fetch some serious coin.

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
04/04/2014 11:06 pm  

Blenko.
I bought this Blenko floor vase for $10.USD at the local charity store last year. I guess it was a good deal. I had a small decanter (I dream of jeanie) with a stopper that I purchased at the Blenko factory in West Virginia, and then broke it the next day. It wasn't meant to be.
Best to all,
Aunt Mark

ReplyQuote
MirnaMinkoff
(@mirnaminkoff)
Eminent Member
06/04/2014 9:14 am  

I collect Blenko...
Hi:
I collect Blenko, some of it is fantastic design, some total crap. I would not buy anything produced by Blenko after 1974.
Their best designers were Anderson, Husted, Myers and Nickerson - they worked at Blenko in the order named (1 head designer at a time) from 1952 until 1974. My favorites are work by Husted & Myers, with Nickerson a close third.
As always buy what you like first and foremost. But investment wise it is best to focus on architectural scale/ size pieces and large decanters in good colors. I' don't believe "rare" colors are that big of a deal but it's certain that people much prefer colors like Jade and Mulberry as opposed to "wheat" (aka light brown).
The entire archive of Blenko catalogs are online and they are your best resource (I think that's the link someone posted above). All Blenko designs have design numbers and in the pivotal years the first two numbers date the designs, I.e. #6231 was designed in 1962. Tons of sellers online call pieces Blenko when they are not. If you are interested in a piece just check the catalogs to verify the piece is blenko, if it's not in the catalog then it's not blenko. (Lots of other glass co. In the same region imitated Blenko, (Viking, Bischoff, Rainbow, Morgantown glass, etc...)not to mention Italian glassmakers in the Empoli region copied Blenko designs frequently)
Any reputable seller should be able to tell you the design number of any blenko piece they are selling. (But always check, I've seen eBay sellers just make up or use a design number that has nothing to do with the piece they were selling.)
. Also, Blenko made some beautiful lamps. The company is still in business and last year Revival Lighting contracted with Blenko to reproduce some of their iconic lamp designs from the 1950s - and are selling them for $600 to $700 a pop.
You can get a vintage blenko lamp for that much or far less and the old blenko is so much better - the expertise of the glassblowers 50 years ago is unsurpassed today. Because of the reissues being done I would steer towards the vintage Blenko lamps that are not being reissued - and there are plenty because their size and expertise required to produce ruled them out for reissue. (Also the reissues are only available in a handful of colors, mostly pastels, and not the bold vibrant ones Blenko was known for in the 1950s & 60s)
I would absolutely avoid any thing they have produced, or reissued, in the past 30 years. I also hate the "anniversary" or birthday pieces the pump out annually.
If I have time tomorrow I might post some photos of some of my favorite pieces in my collection. I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have but figured I've rambled on enough for one post.

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register