Design Addict

Cart

2001 Eames Rocker R...

2001 Eames Rocker Repro A Fake or Authentic?  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

jwoodcoc
(@jwoodcoc)
05/01/2012 3:10 am  

Hi Folks,
I recently bought a Eames Rocker on ebay and the seller told me it was a purchased from DWR in 2001. I received it to day and after realizing that the chair had no markings started questioning whether it was a licensed repro or not. Adding to my skepticism is that the mounts don't seem to be what they are using on current repros. Can someone shed some light on my predicament?
Thanks,
John

NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
05/01/2012 6:41 am  

Doesn't look good.
Are those holes in the shell?

ReplyQuote
jwoodcoc
(@jwoodcoc)
05/01/2012 9:06 am  

yup
Yeah there are two holes but they don't go all the way through the shell only on the underside... as you see here. Does anyone know definitively that this chair is not an authentic repro?

ReplyQuote
jwoodcoc
(@jwoodcoc)
06/01/2012 4:14 am  

I guess no one knows for...
I guess no one knows for sure. I thought for sure someone would speak up...

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
06/01/2012 4:44 am  

Not authentic.
The only authentic shells of current production are the polypropylene ones made by Herman Miller/Vitra.

ReplyQuote
mdcounts
(@mdcounts2000yahoo-com)
Reputable Member
06/01/2012 4:49 am  

Is your chair made with...
Is your chair made with fiberglass or plastic? Im no expert with these chairs but yours looks to be fiberglass. I would contact the Eames office and get a date on when they switched from fiberglass to plastic. I have 6 plastic side chairs that I purchased last year from DWR and I can tell you the shock mounts on mine are completely different. They are molded into the chair. It is also marked with the Eames office/Herman Miller logo as well as a date of production sticker.
Hope this helps.

ReplyQuote
jwoodcoc
(@jwoodcoc)
06/01/2012 5:51 am  

Yeah Im looking into it as...
Yeah Im looking into it as well. 2006 is when Hermin Miller switched to plastic chairs with the integrated shock mounts. The person i bought this from said this was purchased in 2000-2001 from DWR. The Search Continues!

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@teapotd0meyahoo-com)
Illustrious Member
06/01/2012 6:20 am  

Errr
The Eames shells were re-introduced in 2001 in polypropylene, according to Herman Miller.

ReplyQuote
jwoodcoc
(@jwoodcoc)
06/01/2012 6:52 am  

Your right, I mistyped. Is...
Your right, I mistyped. Is it possible that the mounts were integrated in 2006 or would that have been integrated in the 2001 editions?
This guys is the reason I believe the integrated mount was implemented in 2006.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBh_gvTeHLo&list=UULlNXCCtNl_htaKMw7zrrqQ...

ReplyQuote
Modern Love
(@modern-love)
Illustrious Member
06/01/2012 6:59 am  

What is the eBay user ID
of the seller you bought it from?
What kind of feedback does he/she have?

ReplyQuote
jwoodcoc
(@jwoodcoc)
06/01/2012 7:11 am  

Her ebay name is:...
Her ebay name is: clevelandcloset
She has good feedback but i don't believe she typically sells furniture items. Says she bought it around 2001 at the DWR in South Beach when she lived in Ft. Lauderdale.
I guess the question to ask is Did the polypropylene Eames Shells always have integrated mounts or was there a transitional period between 2001 when they were introduced to 2006 when I believe the mounts became integrated in the base.

ReplyQuote
artsnot
(@artsnot)
Prominent Member
06/01/2012 9:14 am  

Link
According to this article/expose on DWR, they have never sold Eames knock offs. However, there is no guarantee that the seller was honest about her point of purchase. Regardless of where it was purchased, wouldn't it be stamped if it were legit?
(Excerpt)
Eames Demetrios, grandson of Charles and Ray Eames and the guardian of their legacy, says, "DWR has been a great ambassador for the Eames story and DWR hasn't carried knockoff Eames product
(Full Article)
http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/141/a-modern-mess.html?page=0%2C4

ReplyQuote
jwoodcoc
(@jwoodcoc)
06/01/2012 10:51 pm  

Okay, I think we are getting...
Okay, I think we are getting closer. I went to look at the Poly Chairs today at DWR and they are definitely flimsier than the chair I have. So that settles the poly v fiberglass question. Definitely Fiberglass... Unless they ever made these things out of another material.
So the question is. Was it possible to buy fiberglass shell rockers from DWR between 1998 and 2001? Would they be stamped ? If not, I think we have our answer.

ReplyQuote
Orleans USA
(@orleans-usa)
Noble Member
06/01/2012 11:19 pm  

stumped
Skeptical:
1. The shells doesn't look fiberglass. i don't see any fibers 2. It's not polypropylene. Too shiny.
3. Vent holes are smaller than the typical holes I've seen in the hundreds of shells I've sold.
4. Definitely not old school with that type of hardware.
I'd like to see a pic of the entire chair....

ReplyQuote
jwoodcoc
(@jwoodcoc)
07/01/2012 12:40 am  

Hi Orleans,
Attached are...
Hi Orleans,
Attached are the photos you asked for, hopefully we can figure this out!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register