Cart

1st dibs  

Page 4 / 7
  RSS

magpie
(@magpie)
11/05/2007 2:43 am  

founder
don't even get me started about how 1stdibs has become a venue for the founder. restraint of tongue and pen...

ReplyQuote
room606
(@room606)
Estimable Member
11/05/2007 2:47 am  

paris fleamarket
Thanks for the confirmation. I think it's outrageous, and I was indeed naive. Nowhere on the site does it explain that these are not necessarily the wares of the dealers listed and could be product photographed from local flea markets (I've bought twice from firstdibs, minor disappointments). This explains a lot, but now is making me somewhat sick, overall, looking back to the site, with the founder fellow in the suit, coiffed with smile, beating Christies and Sothebys in sales... When the whole time, and out of the picture frame, he's got poodle poop on his shoes and probably a mullet under his collar.
PS I'd be OK with it, I think, if it was marketed as "flea markets finds direct to you" kind of approach.
Edited by DA [ broken link removed ]

ReplyQuote
magpie
(@magpie)
11/05/2007 3:35 am  

still naive and rather mean
room606, apparently you really don't seem to take the time to understand or actually read what people say. The postings that are listed as 1stdibs Paris are the only items that are a mix of dealers from the flea market. Otherwise, if a piece is listed under a dealer's inventory, you must assume it is his/hers, whether it is actually in his/her physical store or not. Or it could be a consignment arrangement that the dealer has.
But for you to continue to harp on the idea that it is all flea market finds is completely absurd. As yet another 1stdibs dealer, I find much of your writing to be highly insulting. I break my back travelling this country and others to find unique, interesting pieces of high quality and design. What do you do that you can be so insulting of other people's labor? Do you truly think that the dealers on 1stdibs do nothing all day but sit around and rake in cash from over-priced sales? If so, you are very much mistaken. This is a very tough business, especially in New York.
I may not agree or be happy with certain directions that the owner is taking 1stdibs, but your comments on the founder and "poodle poop on his shoes and probably a mullet under his collar" shows a nasty streak that just reflects badly of you.

ReplyQuote
room606
(@room606)
Estimable Member
11/05/2007 3:58 am  

last one
I can see why you, as a firsdibs dealer, might be insulted by what I've been writing. Apologies to you if you approach your business more dilligently and respecfully.
Yes, I feel I must have a very bad attitude about firstdibs at this point. I don't usually discuss French poodle poop in terms of design.
Best of luck.

ReplyQuote
Modern Love
(@modern-love)
Illustrious Member
11/05/2007 11:19 am  

I am not
a 1stdibs dealer. I understand retail, and know what Magpie and ageofmachines are talking about.
Room_606, stop hatin' man. Love! Love the fact that the market for design is healthy enough for people to drop so much coin. Isn't that good for all of us? Yes?

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@raydee1981hotmail-com)
11/05/2007 11:45 pm  

i agree
1st dibs has both positive and negative aspects of its website. I have been recieving weekly emails from an interior design website, and I like the way they approach the whole antique/modern furniture deal. A majority of the product is beautiful, but sadly out of my budget.

ReplyQuote
room606
(@room606)
Estimable Member
01/06/2007 12:06 pm  

two more rather good values 🙂
I know this is not a serious thread so let me add this two to my watch list:
A wonderful 15,000 daybed offered at 54,000
And the most thoughtful Farhi thingie I have ever seen for 40,000.
I am now completely converted to a firstdibber. I love this shopping.
Thoughtful offerings delivered to your mailbox weekly.
I am catching the first flight I can get to the Paris flea to pick up that Farhi (Fahri). Are these things deliberately misspelled? Tres absurd.

ReplyQuote
NULL NULL
(@paulbustownmodern-com)
Prominent Member
01/06/2007 6:41 pm  

I think this is by far my...
I think this is by far my favorite piece on the whole site. And what a deal.
http://www.1stdibs.com/furniture_item_detail.php?id=137285

ReplyQuote
LRF
 LRF
(@lrf)
Illustrious Member
01/06/2007 7:43 pm  

i started this
When i started this thread several month a go I was somewhat pissed off with 1st dibs, nothing has changed , I sold a kagan table to one of the most reputable stores that deal in mid century modern furniture in the country for 350.00 he made a modest mark up and said he was happy selling to a dealer in California on ebay for 600.00 plus 125.00 shipping
now there is 725.00 total in the piece. I think i paid 600.00 for it in 1979 . and it did need a bout 50 bucks worth of re glueing the lucite . I am not stupid !! I have one of the finest collections of mid-century modern furniture around .
I want to know why the L.A. Dealer thinks this table with burl wood and lucite is worth 6500.00 did I leave some cash in the drawer? or several gold bars that i forgot? or I guess the diamonds i forgot to pull out .
Folks give us a break room 606 had it right . and so did others . GREED GREED. and several people jumped on him/her for telling the truth!!! one person even said they would cream for those marble Urns of over 100 years and could even feel the dirt ( that i feel sorry for them )
The others who write beautiful and long deserations how these have carefully been restored that is bull and you know it , It is all about what the dealer can sell the stuff for and make a good profit and go down the road and do it again . In the mean time the owner is hoping and praying that Google, Amazon Ebay, Yahoo will make him a offer that he can cash out to easy street for ever and make the biggest killing of all,
To be fair there are some wonderful things on 1st dibs that are fit for a kings palace. and one of a kind but for the most part 1st dibs is about the owner and his handsome picture and how he is the number one seller more than Christies and Southerby ( I doubt that !! they take the dollars in and track with the most detailed records and take a buyers/ sellers charge.

ReplyQuote
room606
(@room606)
Estimable Member
03/06/2007 7:40 am  

one mong the mullet
I am now at the Paris flea. Wonderful weather, guys, you should come. Now I spent all day looking for the Farhie thingie with no luck. I have stepped in more poop than I have ever seen and my Prada shoes are absolutely ruined. I have dodged many mulleted digital photographers in the process and have actually run accross very little worthwhile, except for something that looks like that Farhie thingie, but surely it can not be it, it is for sale at only 190 Euro... I might buy it - it may be worth something if the Euro finally weakens. Onward the hunt.

ReplyQuote
LRF
 LRF
(@lrf)
Illustrious Member
03/06/2007 8:38 am  

room 606
get those bargins at the Paris flee market.. then see that you sell it to someone with a 1st dibs connection and see how high you can see the price rise, a lot of fun...

ReplyQuote
room606
(@room606)
Estimable Member
07/06/2007 12:11 am  

this week's best find will bite you
It is an exaggerated spider table which can also (read: you wouldn't want this inside your home) use outdoors!
I am thrilled to see it available at only 15,000 dollars.
It has a bit of a Ron Arad meets garden store quality we don't see enough of these days.
http://www.1stdibs.com/furniture_item_detail.php?id=150601

ReplyQuote
norris
(@norris)
Eminent Member
07/06/2007 12:20 am  

thanks lrf
lrf tells it like it truly is about some of the aspects of 1stdibs. it being a venue for the owner to brand his mug rather than truly support his clients. the false claims of sales exceeding those of the auction houses. WRONG! co-opting sales which do not belong to him. WRONG! i hope the_beloved understands and will let the other venues have their time to shine as there are other sites out there like 1stdibs with dealers selling at reasonable and sane prices. but thanks to the beloved for righteously pointing out the rules for all of us.

ReplyQuote
vivienne
(@vivienne)
Illustrious Member
07/06/2007 12:20 am  

Ha Ha...
Grotesque in extremis.

ReplyQuote
LRF
 LRF
(@lrf)
Illustrious Member
07/06/2007 2:18 am  

room 606 Norris
Both of you have 1st dibs down pat and have fiqured it out for what it is.. stupid, silly, and out of reach for us common folk,
I really like all the peole who have responded so seriouly and with so much authority .. at the end of the day these folks good or bad want to sell there stuff, to who ever will pay the most for it, Like I said 5 month ago , I hope they get a million bucks for something that they paid 1000. for cause if some one is dumb enough to pay out the wazoooo
they deserve it ... and the the 1st dibs people earned every penny of it waiting to kill the fat hog.
It makes me feel good that there are others out there that share my opion. get your money back make a fair mark up sell it and go down the road and do it again . every one is happy.
There is a Guy in Tulsa okla by the name of Maurice Powell he has one of the greatest shops anywhere with the best stuff called mod50's He is the most fair of all the dealers I have ever bought from he could mark stuff up to the moon but he never does. He sells it at a great price and does it again and again
some of these 1st dibs dealers could take a lesson from him.

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 7
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register