Cart

Spindle Back Armcha...

Spindle Back Armchairs  

RSS

mark737
(@mark737)
Illustrious Member
12/08/2021 9:16 pm  

Picked up a couple of these chairs in a darker stain.  Wood appears to be beech.  Person I got them from said they came from England but didn't know anything more. I've only found this one example online and it's from a dead link to a website about Finnish design, most likely because of the Marimekko Frekvenssi upholstery.  Second picture shows underside of one of mine.  Any ideas?    

Note: Changed thread title since these are not Windsor style chairs

1628795802-Win6.jpg
1628796054-Win7.jpg
This topic was modified 3 years ago 5 times by mark737
This topic was modified 2 years ago by mark737

Kyle Barrett
(@kyle-barrett)
Illustrious Member Moderator
14/08/2021 1:53 pm  

I've definitely seen these over here, so can say they are likely on the bigger British mid century manufacturers.

Part of me wants to say McIntosh, but until I see something certain I won't commit to it.

ReplyQuote
mark737
(@mark737)
Illustrious Member
15/08/2021 1:24 am  

@kyle-barrett  Thanks for the reply.  I've searched using every British maker I know of , including McIntosh, and every British listing site, but nothing so far.  I know Ercol made a lot of Windsor chairs and I've looked at their old catalogs but nothing matches.  Here's a better photo of one of my chairs showing the arm details.  Definitely feels like middle-tier, in terms of quality, but a nice design nonetheless.   

1628983456-Win5.jpg

ReplyQuote
user_171
(@user_171)
20/08/2021 7:04 am  

Windsor Chair is a type of chair that is a form of wooden seating in which the back and sides consist of multiple thin, turned spindles that are attached to a solid, sculpted seat. It has straight legs that splay outward, and its back reclines slightly. If you are residing in Australia and want to buy a home, office furniture with a modern look you have to visit Value Office Furniture's online store.

1629435881-Zippy-Screen-Dividers-Office-Example-350x350.jpg

ReplyQuote
gropius
(@gropius)
Honorable Member
22/08/2021 9:34 pm  

I thought user 171 was going to say something useful, but instead it seems his post was intended as an ad? What he could have said but didn’t, is that your chairs are by definition not Windsor chairs, because they lack a solid plank seat. The Windsor was reinterpreted in the mid 20th century by some well known designers, Wegner Peacock as one example. Which is a long winded way to say sorry, but I don’t recognize your (non-Windsor) chair. Maybe searching without “Windsor” could help find it?

mark737 liked
ReplyQuote
mark737
(@mark737)
Illustrious Member
03/11/2021 3:06 am  

@kyle-barrett  Did a little more searching this evening and came across these chairs by Greaves and Thomas.  The design and finish are similar, and they have the English connection.  What do you think?  I did some searching for G&T catalogues, and chairs on ebay.uk, etc, but have not seen my chairs yet.   

1635905198-GT.jpg

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register