Design Addict

Cart

Teak Extension Tabl...

Teak Extension Table - Dyrlund, Rosengaarden?  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

mark737
(@mark737)
Illustrious Member
05/10/2020 2:32 am  

I recently acquired this teak extension table with no tags or marks on the wood, but the metal slides are marked "C.J. Rosengaarden".  I read through some old threads here and some suggested Rosengaarden made tables while others said they just supplied the slides to other makers.  I found some tables online similar to this one, including by Gudme and Dyrlund but I couldn't find this exact model.  It's 48" (122cm) in diameter with two 19.75" (50cm) leaves.  The edge banding has what appears to be rosewood joints as shown in last photo, something I saw on other tables by Dyrlund.  Is that enough to assume it's Dyrlund or did others use this same design?   

On a humorous note (well, at least I laughed)  several online sellers listed tables as  by "C.J. Rosengaarden, Hojre" .  Hojre is the Danish word for "right", and is marked on one slide and, as you would suspect, the other is marked "Venstre" or left.  Curiously, no dealers listed any tables as by "C.J. Rosengaarden, Venstre"

1601857967-Dy3.jpg
1601857997-Dy9.jpg
1601858028-Dy7.jpg
This topic was modified 4 years ago 4 times by mark737

mvc
 mvc
(@mvc)
Illustrious Member
05/10/2020 10:31 am  

Hi @mark737

I came across this table - with rosewood inlaids - several times, always without any labels, other round tables were labeled as Gudme, Glostrup, Dyrlund or VV Mobler and the usual suspects, but I always considered CF Rosengaarden to be the manufacturer of the metal/wooden slides, because the Rosengaarden stamp was never at the table, always at the slides.

And PAT. means obviously "patent", so maybe the company owned the rights for that special slide technique.

ReplyQuote
mark737
(@mark737)
Illustrious Member
05/10/2020 3:37 pm  

@mvc  Thanks for the reply.  I agree it seems most likely that Rosengaarden was a slide maker, a la Walter of Wabash here in the States. But at least one of our esteemed experts here on the Forum implied that Rosengaarden did make more than slides, so I thought it was worth asking, for clarification.  So far I have found nothing with their name on it other than dining table slides.  

For what it's worth, Lauritz has listed many tables in the past as made by Rosengaarden but all appear to be marked only on the slides.  And if you search the DFI and enter "Rosengaarden" under maker or even "All Fields", nothing is returned.   

ReplyQuote
mvc
 mvc
(@mvc)
Illustrious Member
05/10/2020 3:40 pm  

@mark737

Well, Lauritz! 😎 

ReplyQuote
Mancunian
(@mancunian)
06/10/2020 7:04 pm  

Hi Mark

I have a round table (not pedestal) with exactly the same runners / extenders. It is also 1.2m wide, and with (different) edge inlays. I haven't managed to find a maker or designer for this or the chairs. I know where they were bought and when (1969 or 1970), but no other clues 🙁  A sideboard/credenza bought at the same time has 2 Dyrlund labels. The DFI seems to list many items under Dyrlund for 1960s, but very few for 1970s - is this a gap in the archive?

1602003862-sm-table_MG_8011.jpg

ReplyQuote
mark737
(@mark737)
Illustrious Member
07/10/2020 10:56 pm  

@mancunian  I did some quick searches and could not find an identified table like yours.  I saw a couple with the same leg style but they were not marked. And I'm not an expert on the DFI but it's clearly not a comprehensive database.  They only have one record for Dyrlund, a dining table with no identified designer.    

ReplyQuote
Mancunian
(@mancunian)
08/10/2020 10:50 am  

Thanks @Mark737. I'm wondering if the Dyrlund labels were for an importer rather than a maker? The sideboard I have has those labels but is by Henri Rosengren Hansen for Skovby, model N65. There is a G plan table that's similar to mine, but the legs are round at the top. I would imagine that those with the Danish runners - like mine and yours - were from Denmark not UK surely?

ReplyQuote
mvc
 mvc
(@mvc)
Illustrious Member
08/10/2020 11:36 am  

Hi @Mancunian , I suppose Mark is still sleeping. Do I understand you correctly, you have a Rosengren Hansen sideboard from Skovby, and this sideboard has a Dyrlund label? If so, can you please picture this label? Is it the classic Dyrlund paper label?

ReplyQuote
Mancunian
(@mancunian)
08/10/2020 2:50 pm  

Hi MVC  this is one of them (They are similar). One is inside and one on the back. The sideboard is the same as this one (although I doubt the value is anything like what  they are asking!) https://www.vinterior.co/furniture/storage/sideboards/midcentury-danish-sideboard-in-teak-by-rosengren-hansen-for-skovby-mobelfabrik

1602161409-IMG_0041.jpg

ReplyQuote
Mancunian
(@mancunian)
08/10/2020 2:54 pm  

BTW table, chairs and sideboard will (hopefully) be in an auction in November - Peter Wilson at Nantwich, Cheshire. I inherited them, and I like them (my wife is not as keen), but they're too big for our house.

ReplyQuote
mvc
 mvc
(@mvc)
Illustrious Member
08/10/2020 3:41 pm  

@Mancunian

Never seen it, maybe a joke by the British importer trying to do some advertising. I would recommend removing the Dyrlund label, it only irritates, and Dyrlund also has a ... well, dubious reputation, the company builds - from a technical point of view - high-quality furniture, but the design leaves a lot to be desired.

You are right, to expext £ 3.000 is very optimistic. But I don't know the UK market and its prices for MCM, maybe it works to ask such a price.

But be careful at the auction that the starting price is not too low, otherwise you could get a nasty surprise. Or you hire a "front man" to be on the safe side. 😎 

ReplyQuote
mark737
(@mark737)
Illustrious Member
08/10/2020 4:50 pm  

Good morning, I am now awake and looking at more extension tables.  Just to add to the CJ Rosengaarden discussion, these tables by Ansager and Vejle Stole both have Rosengaarden slides.  There was a Moreddi table that also appeared to have the same dark brown metal slides but there was no close-up shot to confirm the maker.  Also, I came across the AM table in the third photo with the rosewood inlays around the edge, though this one has double inlays.  Anyway, it seems pretty clear that a number of Danish makers used Rosengaarden slides and I've still yet to see anything but slides with their mark.  I looked for G-Plan tables with them but didn't see any yet.     

1602168623-AM2.jpg
1602168761-VS1.jpg
1602168786-AM1.jpg

ReplyQuote
Vildbjerg LKJ
(@vildbjerg-lkj)
10/10/2020 5:45 pm  

Hi,

I have done a little research about the many Danish-produced dining tables attributed to CJ Rosengården as a producer. My name is Lars Jørgensen. I am a trained cabinetmaker from Vildbjerg Møbelfabrik. My grandfather and father ran Vildbjerg Møbelfabrik for many years. Discussed this case with my father and he immediately said that it was a company (CJ Rosengården) who sold various types of furniture fittings. I investigated this case further about this as well as the logo / initials etc. I Came to the final conclusion that there is a company that deals with furniture fittings called Christian Jørgensen - with the same initials in the logo. However, they do not use the name "Rosengården" anymore. Then I wrote the director who replied and confirmed that it was their logo and the name Rosengården that attributed these dining tables with table pulls.

The director of the company is today named Christian Dan Jørgensen and is the fourth generation of the company which was founded in 1923 by his great-grandfather. They were just the supplier of the table pulls, not the tables.

It was his grandfather who owned Chr. Jørgensen when the referenced table pulls were sold under the name CJ Rosengården.

lexi, mark737 and mvc liked
ReplyQuote
mvc
 mvc
(@mvc)
Illustrious Member
10/10/2020 6:13 pm  

Many thanks, @Vildbjerg LKJ, much appreciated.

Below the link to the website of CHR. JØRGENSEN Møbelbeslag.

https://chr-joergensen.dk/om-os/

ReplyQuote
mark737
(@mark737)
Illustrious Member
11/10/2020 4:04 pm  

@vildbjerg LKJ  Thank you very much for your assistance with this question.  It's always much appreciated when someone within the industry can confirm these details and help us overcome the misinformation that exists online.   Reading through the Jorgensen company history from the link @mvc helpfully provided, I gather that they were mostly a supplier and the slides, or pull-outs, on these tables were actually made in Sweden during the "Rosengaarden" period.  And the name "Rosengaarden" was apparently adopted because they were located, at least for a time, at Rosengaarden 14 in Copenhagen, which is now this chocolate shop. 

1602425040-14Rosen.jpg

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register