Question about auth...

Question about authenticity of my Wassily chairs  

RSS

griffintamer
(@griffintamer)
23/01/2017 8:08 am  

Hi everyone!

First time poster here, but long time design addict in real life 🙂

I recently bought 4 Wassily chairs that look authentic and have Gavina stickers on the back tube under the seat. So far so good... but the Gavina stickers say "Cesca" instead of "Wassily" for model. Did someone at the Gavina factory put the wrong stickers on it, or are these fake, or...?

The chairs were supposedly made in the mid-60s, according to the previous owner.

Thanks! 🙂
img20170122215445.jpgwassilychair.jpg

DrPoulet
(@drpoulet)
Illustrious Member
23/01/2017 4:37 pm  

Hi. If I am not wrong the chairs produced by Gavina should have a Marcel Breuer signature somwhere on the leather of the backrest.

ReplyQuote
cdsilva
(@cdsilva)
Illustrious Member
23/01/2017 5:21 pm  

end caps and bolt closeups.

ReplyQuote
_
 _
(@deleted)
Illustrious Member
23/01/2017 9:12 pm  

Gavina, Knoll and other correct Wassily versions by others will have polished welded ends, no end caps. Not legit versions and inferior copies will always have end caps even if they are marked with a made in Italy label. The same applies for a real Cesca arm and side chairs.

Those labels seem suspicious.

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
23/01/2017 10:36 pm  

Hi

It appears that the hex bolts protrude a smidgen, should be flush..and the chrome "sled" lacks a middle seam. And the christmas tree looks fake.

Best,

Aunt Mark

ps. I'm usually wrong.

ReplyQuote
_
 _
(@deleted)
Illustrious Member
23/01/2017 11:23 pm  

Any Wassily chair made from the 1960s onwards are "authentic" reissues and reproductions like the legit versions produced by Gavina, Knoll and others approved by Breuer.

The real authentic Wassily chairs highly desired by collectors and museums are the originals produced at the Bauhaus workshop, the early mass produced examples made by Thonet, Standard Mobel and others made before WW2. Most of these did not use leather slings but heavy canvas or heavy canvas soaked in oil called eisengarn (similar to the material used in period convertible car roof).

ReplyQuote
griffintamer
(@griffintamer)
24/01/2017 9:18 am  

The bolts are mostly flush; any protrusions might be attributed to the previous owner taking the chair in the first pic to an upholstery shop who did a very poor job restitching some of the seams.

I am including a close up (sorry about the less-than-stellar telephone pic) as well as a pic of the inside of one of the seats (the stitching came undone and there's a very thin pressboard-type material between the leather layers, says Pirelli on it)

There IS a seam in the middle of the sides on the bottom, just didn't show up in the first pic. Yes, the Christmas tree is fake, LOL

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Illustrious Member
24/01/2017 4:36 pm  

Hi.

I just don't think that my vintage Knoll Wassily chairs have any pressboard in the seats. To my blind eye, it is merely 2 thick pieces of leather hugging each other. Now the bolts and end caps look fine on your chair. The label is puzzling, and Debbie Reynolds is still dead. I say weigh 'em and get out a tape measure (pencil and paper) and some decent vodka.

Bye,

Aunt Mark

ReplyQuote
Share:

If you need any help, please contact us at – info@designaddict.com

Working

Please Login or Register